Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ri_ra

Spinach wrote: »
    Hi ladies. My baby is one week old today :) So glad this thread is here!
    Feeding is going pretty well, after some sore nipples in the first few days, they have got a bit better. I have a question about breaking the latch though. Her latch is basically fine most of the time I think, but when I want to switch her to the other side before she is ready I find it really difficult to dislodge her without pain! I have read to stick your little finger in the corner of her mouth but this barely seems to achieve anything and I really have to pull my finger down towards her bottom lip in order to remove her, and so I find myself reluctant to change sides when it's more comfortable to leave her to comfort suck or fall asleep - but I need to change really to keep stimulating flow or relieve the other breast.
    Would love to hear any tips you may have on the correct way to break the latch?

Spinach, I had the same issue as you. And then I saw someone, stick her finger into her mouth to wet it before breaking the latch. I tried this the next time that I needed to break the latch and it was brillant. The wet finger works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My boy was also a bit of a hoover. When you insert your finger into the corner of the baby's mouth, make sure it goes all the way into the mouth, separating the top gum from the bottom and fully breaking the suction before you pull your nipple out. Otherwise you can end up damaging the nipple. If there is resistance as you withdraw the nipple, the suction hasn't been broken fully - then the chin release described by Thaedydal works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭deisemum

Another way to get baby to open his or her mouth is to lay your finger across their nose and block their airway. Baby opens mouth very quickly. Also works for giving medicine when they're older and don't want to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Mu daugther was a vacuum suction baby and nurses said she has great latch, great feeder etc but after 2 weeks I was in agony. No one could see a problem and so I thought there wasn't one - just me being a wimpy new mum.

By week 4 I had been to my doctor who did not even look at me, just diagnosed me as a stressed mum and offered bottles an answer - I had both mastitis and thrush by now - another GP diagnosed and helped this but still no solutions . At week 5 I found someone who recomended the rugby ball hold! It changed literally overnight - my problem was simply the weight of my breast tissue pulling downwards with the addition of babies mouth causing suction was causing trauma.
    Breastfeeding both my girls til 18 months & it wasn't all sweet and roses but glad I did it.

Definitely it is good to try out different positions to find the most comfortable way to feed - it can mean a huge difference to how long you breastfeed for. I remember sitting, perching, squirming, hovering and wishing I could levitate during the first two weeks, I was so sore after the birth. It was difficult to sit at all, never mind say feed as well. If I hadn't been shown how to feed lying down I doubt I would have continued to 10 months. It takes all the pressure off your lower body (keeping a pillow between your knees and one against your lower back is lovely) and can also allow you to manipulate the breast while feeding so that the weight is borne by your hand (or the bed) rather than by the breast itself. It's also a great position if you decide to cosleep - you get much more rest this way.
    Good link here if you are interested in feeding lying down:
    http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/laydown.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Girls you might find this helpful www.dustanbaby.com
    I learnt what baby wants reading "his cry" it wasn't that hard. also just type in on youtube.com baby language and you will problaby find some films with cries and telling you what do they mean.

Im in the 5th week of breastfeeding and Im on silicon nipple protectors. Cant live without them. Small one sometimes throws a tantrum cos not always likes using them but at least I can rest my sore nipples and still feed him. He had some problems adjusting to them and I had problem using them (no idea how would it work) but now we are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

ani_mal wrote: »
    Girls you might find this helpful www.dustanbaby.com
    I learnt what baby wants reading "his cry" it wasn't that hard. also just type in on youtube.com baby language and you will problaby find some films with cries and telling you what do they mean.

Im in the 5th week of breastfeeding and Im on silicon nipple protectors. Cant live without them. Small one sometimes throws a tantrum cos not always likes using them but at least I can rest my sore nipples and still feed him. He had some problems adjusting to them and I had problem using them (no idea how would it work) but now we are flying.

Well done! You are the first mam who is using the silicone nipple shields and likes them.. I am using them for past 3 months for each feed and can not imagine life without them! My little man got so used of them that he would not dream of sucking on my bare nipple now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I also used the shields and would not have been able to continue breastfeeding either of mine past the second week with out them.

I noticed that my son works better with his mouth on them and when my breast is full so he has problems to catch it. Sometimes I gave him bare nipple when it doesnt sore

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

After reading this I think I'm going to start with the shields with another baby if I have one. James made such a job of my nips that they hurt more in the shields.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    After reading this I think I'm going to start with the shields with another baby if I have one. James made such a job of my nips that they hurt more in the shields.

I was told by a German midwife that policy in her hospital is to recommend limiting feeds in the first few days to 5 mins per hour per side and using loads of lansinoh, and that this can be enough to prevent cracks and soreness. I've only breastfed the one and basically let him latch on as much as he wanted for the first week and ended up in agony. I'll be trying the time limits next time.

there is so many opinions as midwives :) I guess. maybe its and idea but I can imagine it could be tiring to change breast every 5 min and baby would get upset on such change.(to my opinion)

Im trying now electric breast pump but its so weak and it takes ages to extract at least 60ml. Have you got any manual pump to recommend/
    I leave a small bottle for my husband to feed the baby when Im gone and he is awake, and he eats the milk within seconds. I dont think its great. Well ge goes sleep quicker.. my husband was so happy after this one time that he wants to do it more, but I do not agree with it. I need to find this special bottle that has to soothers (one inside another one) and stimulates suck like its a real breast (not so easy to suck) I was told about it on pre-natal classes. seems to work perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I was told by a German midwife that policy in her hospital is to recommend limiting feeds in the first few days to 5 mins per hour per side and using loads of lansinoh, and that this can be enough to prevent cracks and soreness. I've only breastfed the one and basically let him latch on as much as he wanted for the first week and ended up in agony. I'll be trying the time limits next time.

Lansinoh is great but any kind of limiting time at the breast in early days seems to be a horrible idea. both LLL and Cuidiu are also against it and I'll believe them over a single midwife..

One was telling me to do 20 min per breast. just weird.

ebmma wrote: »
    Lansinoh is great but any kind of limiting time at the breast in early days seems to be a horrible idea. both LLL and Cuidiu are also against it and I'll believe them over a single midwife..

One was telling me to do 20 min per breast. just weird.

I know, I can't imagine how it would work, but when my baby was born he basically latched on permanently for the first 4 days, even slept while latched on. I hadn't a clue about how to break a latch or anything at that point, but I will try and take a bit more control of it next time. I don't believe in any kind of strict time limits or schedules, but maybe there's no harm in putting a bit of definition between the start and end of feeds? If 24/7 is a bit extreme, 5 mins per hour is the other end of that scale. I'll be aiming for something in between.

I know, I can't imagine how it would work, but when my baby was born he basically latched on permanently for the first 4 days, even slept while latched on. I hadn't a clue about how to break a latch or anything at that point, but I will try and take a bit more control of it next time. I don't believe in any kind of strict time limits or schedules, but maybe there's no harm in putting a bit of definition between the start and end of feeds? If 24/7 is a bit extreme, 5 mins per hour is the other end of that scale. I'll be aiming for something in between.

I barely remember 1s few days it was such a blur! and then midwives would come and ask me how many times he's feeding and I had no idea...

I think the longest my little guy fed on one side was an hour or so...but then he was back to it soon enough.

hopefully we both get quick and efficient feeders next time around :D

speaking of Lansinoh, I didn't cop on that I only need to put it on the nipple. I smeared the entire area with it :rolleyes: no wonder my latch was awful little guy was sliding:D took a couple of days for someone to point it out to me but sure my nipples were already in bits.

I hated that in the hospital where they ask you how long the baby fed for and you had to write it down and write what was in the nappies. It stresses you out, it's no wonder so many mums had issues with let down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bourgie

Ani-mal, I use the Advent manual pump, and find it great. I've been using it at work and getting up to 200mls in one session (both sides). I believe thats quite a lot, am putting it down to lots of porridge! I'm trying an electric double one at the moment to try to speed things up, but the advent one is great and if I was pumping just occasionally I'd stick to it. I read you should give the baby a 0 teat for bottles and generally an ounce an hour is what is needed.

I lashed on the Lashinoh for both of mine for the first two months I think, I found it brilliant.

I have electric breast pump and find it bad. hardly any milk coming out, yet when I squeeze my breast myself plenty comes out. so I was thinking of manual breast pump, maybe would be better? I have plenty of milk (Junior was stuck to me today for 3hrs in a row!!) and still milk left. at night Im just pouring :) all around.
    anyways, does any one know where to get GOOD supportive bra in size 34G? I got freya in 34F but it got tight and uncomfy (too small I think) and it makes me cry.

another question, is that ok when baby is on the breast for 3 hrs? did anyone of you had it? if I put him off he sucks his fingers and cries. Im so tired, and I might get depressed soon. eh

I have electric breast pump and find it bad. hardly any milk coming out, yet when I squeeze my breast myself plenty comes out. so I was thinking of manual breast pump, maybe would be better? I have plenty of milk (Junior was stuck to me today for 3hrs in a row!!) and still milk left. at night Im just pouring :) all around.

-anyways, does any one know where to get GOOD supportive bra in size 34G? I got freya in 34F but it got tight and uncomfy (too small I think) and it makes me cry.
    -another question, is that ok when baby is on the breast for 3 hrs? did anyone of you had it? if I put him off he sucks his fingers and cries. Im so tired, and I might get depressed soon. eh
    - does you babies scream or act weir when latched to the breast? (mine has some tantrums sometimes and Im not sure whats going on) PLS HELP

also ladies I need to ask.
    Ladiesembarrassing question but need to find out. Im 5 wks after birth thru c-section. my hd and I tried to have sex but I can't.
    it seems like I got tighter then I was and it is impossible for any penetration. It hurts like hell (apart from dryness).:confused:
    is this normal, does this change with time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

also ladies I need to ask.
    Ladiesembarrassing question but need to find out. Im 5 wks after birth thru c-section. my hd and I tried to have sex but I can't.
    it seems like I got tighter then I was and it is impossible for any penetration. It hurts like hell (apart from dryness).:confused:

I couldn't do the deed until about 2 weeks after I gave up brest feeding! Yes it was a long dry spell for my husband but it was just too bloody painful! I ended up going to see a gynaecologist as I was sure there had been a tear down there that hadn't healed properly, but there was nothing physically wrong in that sense. Even with lots of KY and foreplay, hanky panky was a big no no!

I don't know if its to do with hormones, or the tiredness, or just how unsexy you feel when your boobs become udders, or a combination of all of these factors!

Don't force yourself into resuming 'relations' before your body is ready, you'll only stress yourself out and start thinking there is something wrong when there probably isn't. 5 weeks after giving birth is very soon anyway, still alot of healing to do down there! And anyway, there are plenty of ways to be intimate without doing yourself a mischief :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

-anyways, does any one know where to get GOOD supportive bra in size 34G? I got freya in 34F but it got tight and uncomfy (too small I think) and it makes me cry.

- does you babies scream or act weir when latched to the breast? (mine has some tantrums sometimes and Im not sure whats going on) PLS HELP

embarrassing question but need to find out. Im 5 wks after birth thru c-section. my hd and I tried to have sex but I can't.

Online is the best place for good bras - google 'nursing bra'. I find the 'Anita' brand brilliant as they're comfortable and the cups are really easy to open.

My small fella sometimes screams at the breast and pulls off. It's almost always wind and a good burp fixes it.

I had him 13 weeks ago by c-section and haven't even attempted sex yet, my sex drive is on the floor:o 5 weeks is really early, your doctor will reassure you of this at your 6 week check-up.

yep, 5 weeks is early...i think i was still bleeding at that stage (had c-section too). done it at 6 weeks for the 1st time and it's been great, a bit dry but nothing some lube won't fix. still breastfeeding at 6 months.
    give yourself some time and tell your partner to be extra gentle. :D

ani_mal look into hand expression. i can work really well for some people as you feel warm fingers rather than plastic and can help with let down.

didn't work for me (used manual pump quite succesfully but my baby doesn't take a bottle so all efforts wasted :() but worth a shot.

just how unsexy you feel when your boobs become udders:)

i think i'm a bit unusual in this but I actually feel way sexier these days! breastfeeding made my boobs go from non-existent to a shapely size B. me and the other half are loving it! real pity is that we're mostly too tired after a day with baby for any fun..

First off, they recommend not resuming sexual intercourse til after your 6-week check up. Secondly, a new mother's best friend is the old KY-jelly, or as much (good) foreplay as you can handle. Without wanting to be too explicit or crude, if you ain't wet, it WILL hurt.

Meant to recommend a nursing bra too. I also got one from the Anita range - very soft, stretchy but still supportive. Make sure that whatever one you buy doesn't have an underwire, especially if you are larger breasted as the wire can restrict milk flow and lead to blocked ducts. I got mine from the site below:
    http://www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk

thx girls
    hard to pick up good nursing bra online (especially BIG size) im 75GG in M&S, then in FREYA im 75G, or actually 80G (but find it too loose) bla bla..
    so Its hard to guess.
    anyway, K-Y jelly never worked for me, I use lub from boots and worked fine, but this time I can use half bottle with the same result - PAIN LIKE HELL.
    tomorrow I have post natal check I might inquire for precise check up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

hard to pick up good nursing bra online (especially BIG size) im 75GG in M&S, then in FREYA im 75G, or actually 80G (but find it too loose) bla bla.

I'm massive too ani_mal (36G now, bought a 36H in my last trimester:eek:) and had no bother getting sizes on this site. The Anita underwire one is brilliant! I bought a few non-wired ones and they were ok, but I didn't feel supported enough.

that's the kinda thing that bothers me, not much support from non wired bras. Everything "is hanging around" :) as I say to my husband- its called gravitation :)

btw, I got my manual medela pump, and I have to say BRILLIANT! milk is squirting like crazy. SO i can recommend it. great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭deisemum

I found the Avent Isis manual pump good.

My older boy is 15 today. I got a beautiful surprise in the post today. Friends of ours in the UK posted over a DVD they recorded when my lad was just 2 weeks old. It brought back all the excitement of a new baby and we looked so proud :D He's a strapping big lad now and I physically have to look up to him.

I was doubled over laughing at how young we looked especially hubby :D:D

I cannot wait to show it to the boys when they get in from school. I don't think I'll be mean and show it to his friends when they come for dinner tomorrow :D:D

Cherish the baby years as they fly by so quickly.

• Advertisement

Ladies

I need help.. I'm breastfeeding (of course) but have horrible urge for sweets!! I can't help it, can't stand it. trying to substitute with some other things but it's just not working. Anyone has the same?

Ladies

I need help.. I'm breastfeeding (of course) but have horrible urge for sweets!! I can't help it, can't stand it. trying to substitute with some other things but it's just not working. Anyone has the same?

are you worried about your milk or your figure? If its the milk - don't worry and have a sweet just make sure you eat healthily apart from that (for your own sake).

go for healthier sweets like fruit (fresh and dried), dark chocolate instead of milk, home made flapjacks stuff like that.

i had terrible cravings for Dr. Pepper. and chocolate. If your baby is not reacting to stuff you eat and you have and a reasonably good diet there's no need to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=155336247828160

This event might be of interest to people in the Cork area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Ladies

when i was in the hospital and in the first few weeks at home i was so hungry when i fed, i kept a pack of natural confectionery company jellies handy so i could munch through the feed, as i was so hungry! A big glass of water is essential, a banana is also great, dried fruit is fab, but for the first few weeks have you sweets, there is no harm.

Meant to recommend a nursing bra too. I also got one from the Anita range - very soft, stretchy but still supportive. Make sure that whatever one you buy doesn't have an underwire, especially if you are larger breasted as the wire can restrict milk flow and lead to blocked ducts. I got mine from the site below:
    http://www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk

The irish midwives are very big on the old dont use an underwired bra when pregant or nursing, not such a big deal elsewhere, my sis in UK was never advised of this.
    I am huge (G/H cup) and if i wear anything that is not underwired i am in pain.
    I ended up wearing a soft cup nursing bra AND a secret support vest when i was attempting to go without underwire.
    BUT now i have found these lovely people http://www.change.com/view.php?template=collection_view&page_id=4&menu_id=63
    Have not tried their nursing bras yet, but their other ones are so comfy, I am looking forward to it! they are in santry and limerick here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Will my milk ever come?

gave birth 7 days ago, still only able to express 20 ml every 3 hrs. I have been expressing with the electronic pump since 24 hrs after birth as she wouldn't latch on. I give her the 20mls in a bottle and they go down in 3 mins then it takes her 30 mins to drink 30mls of aptamil.

I used the Medula one in the hospital and I have the avent elecrronic / manual. Tried hand expressing, only got drops.

Less than 2 oz is just not enough going in to her and she has jaundise too, so needs fluids. I plan on trying to get her to latch on again once I have enough milk to sustain her as with the bottle feds her stomach has probably expanded.

I think if I was able to produce 3oz,she'd have it drank in 20 mins and have time to get sleep in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Poor you - know how worrying it is. Try increasing your expressing to every 2 hours and offer her your boob too. Lie down beside her and encourgae her to latch. Best of luck

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Will my milk ever come?

I would not worry too much. first days are always hard. then I started to drink tea for breastfeeding mums (I got fennel tea) and my milk came next day.
    regarding expressing. the best way to express milk is when your breast is all hard then it means its full. I only got milk when I was feeding my baby 2 months. Then I started to have more milk and easier express it. I can get even 100ml within one extraction.

so dont give up, you are doing a great job :)

lynsky

I totaly agree with you. I got bra size 34H and one I got without wires and its a disaster. my breasts are so heavy and gravitation is so hard on them :) So I got one with wire and its much better job for such a big breasts.

Will my milk ever come?

gave birth 7 days ago, still only able to express 20 ml every 3 hrs. I have been expressing with the electronic pump since 24 hrs after birth as she wouldn't latch on. I give her the 20mls in a bottle and they go down in 3 mins then it takes her 30 mins to drink 30mls of aptamil.

I used the Medula one in the hospital and I have the avent elecrronic / manual. Tried hand expressing, only got drops.

Less than 2 oz is just not enough going in to her and she has jaundise too, so needs fluids. I plan on trying to get her to latch on again once I have enough milk to sustain her as with the bottle feds her stomach has probably expanded.

I think if I was able to produce 3oz,she'd have it drank in 20 mins and have time to get sleep in.
    Try latching her again, watch some videos online, or read up in some books. my dd was supposedly latched prpoerly for the first 2 weeks, according to PHNs and midwives, but she wasn't. things got a lot easier when i started to get her on properly.
    AFAIK Your baby latching is the only way that you will produce milk

lynski wrote: »
    AFAIK Your baby latching is the only way that you will produce milk

Not so. But it is the best way.

You can pump exclusively but it's hard work, you have to pump every 2 hours around the clock, continuing to pump after the breast is empty.

The baby's sucking stimulates the breast far better than any other way.

You could always use nipple shields. I know plenty of people who always used shields and it allowed them to continue breast feeding where they wouldnt have been able to otherwise.

• Advertisement

I didn't know it was good to keep pumping after each breast was empty, that's a good tip, but at 15 mins per breast every 2 hours, I have no life!

Should have bought a double pump. In the last 24 hrs it looks like I'm getting less milk.

I'll try skin to skin tonight and see how we get on. I get the feeling my time is running out to establish a good supply of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I feel for you and the difficulties you are having. I know when I started the amount of milk I was producing was very small, but you must remember that a new baby's tummy is about the size of a marble and cannot hold much anyway. As time goes by you produce more and they in turn can take in more.
    I would recommend that you continue to try to get the baby to latch on as it is the easiest way.
    The other point to remember is that the baby will naturally encourage your let-down reflex, this is more difficult to do when expressing. I know I hadn't expressed in nearly 2 months, and recenly started again so I would have some milk to mix with baby rice (starting to wean) and I found I could barely get anything though when she feeds herself, she'll get her full share anytime.
    The books say when expressing you should look at your baby (or a pic of) and think of them while relaxing as much as possible to encourage the letdown reflex. Perhaps you should get hold of a book on the topic, I know they gave me a lot of confidence when I was starting out.
    Hope that is of some help :rolleyes:

I breastfeed and have hardly any time need to organise myself very well before I want to go anywhere:) between feedings, but I know its for the good.
    I talk to my son, and sometimes he grins or even smiles and that's very rewarding.

my husband feeds him sometimes from the bottle with special tits (breastflow.co.uk which is nearly as real breast) junior drinks it within seconds and then quickly passes out to sleep :) so the longes I have is 2 hrs for myself.

I didn't know it was good to keep pumping after each breast was empty, that's a good tip, but at 15 mins per breast every 2 hours, I have no life!

Should have bought a double pump. In the last 24 hrs it looks like I'm getting less milk.

I'll try skin to skin tonight and see how we get on. I get the feeling my time is running out to establish a good supply of milk.

Time isn't running out. I stopped 5 months ago and I still have a little milk. :) I could actually probably still relactate if I really wanted / needed to.

I know it's difficult but the more you relax the easier it will come. You can try stroking your baby's skin whilst pumping.

The pumping for longer than milk comes out sends signals to the glands that more milk is needed.

If I were you I'd buy a set of nipple shields. You would be amazed at how much you will produce when a little person goes to work!

Would you reccommend the avent ones, I could pick them up tommorrow.

Would you reccommend the avent ones, I could pick them up tommorrow.

Avent are what I had but there are also MAM ones that look good. Definitely try to get ones that allow skin to skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Hi!

I am a worried new mum and would really like to know if anybody else has experience the following and could reassure me that all will be fine.

Baby girl was born 2 weeks ago at 37 and half weeks, at the good weight of 3.89. She did not feed well the first two days in hospital, she was very tired the poor thing, and she lost her 10% weight in those two days before discharged and I was told by the nurses to supplement with formula, which put me in a lot of distress as I was afraid that would jeopardise our chances at breastfeeding. They done blood test etc, and all was fine.
    I breastfed and supplement a little, and she was only weighted again at 10 days, when we found she had lost more weight (15% from birthweight at that stage). I went back to hospital and test were all fine again, but weight loss is worrying.
    Still breastfeeding and supplementing a lot more now.
    Thursday weight was up but by only 40g in 1day and half which is not much. Going again tomorrow, hopefully the weight has picked up.

She sometimes feeds really well on breast and seems content, sometimes she doesn't. She takes the bottle really well sometimes, and sometimes she doesn't. So I am up and down with her as my stress level go up when I feel she don't get enough in one feed, and down when she has a real good one. She rarely wakes up for feeds, I wake her every 2h and half.

Has anyone experience such weight loss, and has everything sorted itself? I sometimes can't help but feel so helpless and guilty I can't even do something as fundamental as feed her right.

Okay, first of all yes, most of this is completely normal so take a deep breath and try to lose some of the stress. The bits that are normal for a breastfed baby are:

->10% weight loss, completely and utterly normal. Your milk doesn't come in until around day 4 or 5, there is no way your baby can put on weight before this time. 15% is more worrying, but make sure that the PHN/GP is using the correct WHO charts for breastfed babies, as the pattern of weight gain is different to that of formula fed babies.

->sometimes seeming content and sometimes not. This could be due to a number of factors, hunger being the most important one, wind being another likely one.

Hunger: Is she getting enough hindmilk? When you feed her first, you release the thirst-quenching foremilk - this is thin and kind of bluish in colour. After a few minutes, depending on your let-down and flow, this will begin to thicken. This is the much richer hindmilk and is what really sates them and fattens them up. If you are switching breasts too soon, she might not be getting enough hindmilk and this could explain why she isn't putting on enough weight and why she sometimes doesn't seem satisfied. If her dirty nappies are a bit greenish, it's a good indication that you're not leaving her on long enough before switching her. It's hard to tell when to switch, but really let her drain the first breast before moving on to the second.

Wind: Do you wind her half-way through and at the end? When she's finished, if you lay her on your tummy for a snooze and rub her back, it's very effective for getting wind up gently.

I am concerned that you are supplementing. As you probably know, this will affect your supply. I understand that you are very worried and I wouldn't want to contradict anything that any medical professional has told you (you haven't said what they advised at the second visit), but the best way to make sure a newborn breastfed baby isn't hungry is to feed for longer and more often. This will ensure you have a plentiful supply. When my lad was first born, we were feeding every hour and a half for the first three weeks. I thought it would never end, but he thrived and the feeds soon began to space themselves out.

If your PHN is telling you to supplement so early on in the game, I would be worried that s/he is not fully trained in breastfeeding support. They would do much better to refer you to a lactation consultant than taking the easy route of telling you to use formula. Contact La Leche League - they are not the crazy lactivists people make them out to be and will give you solid advice and possibly arrange to come and help you out. There is also an Irish website called the breast way - there are amazing resources on there, including a forum moderated by midwives and a GP trained as a lactation consultant.

You absolutely don't need to feel guilty, you are doing everything you can with the support you are getting. The helplessness thing is harder, I think every new mum goes through that (whether breastfeeding or not) and until you build up confidence that what you are doing is right, you will have bad days. Eventually the bad days shrink into hours and minutes until you hardly notice them at all.

The stress will affect your let down to, so try to relax as much as you can before each feed. There's no harm at all in the odd glass of beer to help loosen things up - my own personal favourite is a glass of prosecco before the bedtime feed, makes verything fuzzy and warm! Whatever about the alcohol, make sure you're getting plenty of fluids and eating well - a bowl of porridge for breakfast works wonders, as does fennel tea.

If you can access help from LLL or a consultant, get them to show you how to feed lying down, or just look it up online. It's a great way of resting while you feed and is much more comfortable than sitting if you've had 'work done' down below. I had an enormous amount of stitches and couldn't have continued breastfeeding without knowing how to do it lying down.

Here are some resources that might help you:

How to make sure your baby is getting enough hindmilk:
    http://www.howcast.com/videos/356301-How-To-Make-Sure-Your-Baby-Gets-Enough-Hindmilk

The Breastway Ireland:
    http://www.thebreastway.com/

La Leche League Ireland:
    http://www.lalecheleagueireland.com/

Breastfeeding lying down:
    http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/laydown.html

I hope these help. You're doing the right thing by going back to the clinic and getting all the tests done. Make sure though that they give you the correct support. Ask them about a consultant referral and for the contact details of the local breastfeeding support group. If there isn't one, ask them about La Leche League. If you show that you really want to breast feed, they will generally give you all the help they can. My PHN wasn't great, but said later that they are just terrified of promoting breastfeeding too much as some parents are so sensitive about it. Post-partum is a very emotional place to be, but if you don't push this a little bit now and force them to give you more support, you may find it all a bit too much. If you get over this tricky period here, you'll be flying it in no time. But if they don't help you enough, don't beat yourself up over it. You've done brilliantly this far. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I would also consider changing formula, maybe she doesn't digest something? maybe she is alergic to lactoze? Ask doctors about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Well thanks for all this! I do have all the information I think because I always planned to bf from the start and had no intentions in supplementing but the doctors didn't give me a choice in the matter, supplementing right from end of day 2 in hospital, and then telling me everytime to top her up more with formula. My fear was as I said that my little girl would not take the breast anymore after having had the bottle.

The good news is the weight is back up, near her discharge weight so we are on the right track but that is with formula. I offer the breast everytime, and express so my supply I think is quite good. A lot of the times, dd latches on well and suckle swallow as well but rarely for more than 7-8 minutes and doesn't take the other side. And at night its more of a struggle, she is not interrested at all.
    I have got so many conflicting infos from nurses, midwives and doctors, they seem to have different opinions on all aspects of it and its frankly very confusing.
    Will see a lactating consultant this week, and will stick to what she says, I am hoping that when my little girl has reached her birth weight I will be able to wean her off the formula and breastfeed exclusively.

Trying to stay positive, even though it can be hard at 3am. She is a little star and I want to give her the best start possible.

Was our due date today, mad to think about it, I feel I have known her for ages already.

Thanks again!
    It would still help to hear from people who have been through rocky starts and resolved everything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement