Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Paddico

Sweeney and Fahey ! Liam Casey , Evan , Bill and El Zorro to be nominated at least .

Thought Bill had one of the quietest games for Tipp in long time.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Huge congratulations to the footballers, fantastic achievement. You'd have to feel desperately sorry for John Meagher.

Is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Paddico wrote: »
    Is he injured?

He went with the hurlers this year after establishing himself with the footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

As a Galway man, congratulations! Long time coming and on the day that was in it, even more special! Just keep your feet on the ground and there may be more in the year for ye yet. Well there's 4 counties in Connacht rooting for ye :)

formerlyET wrote: »
    He went with the hurlers this year after establishing himself with the footballers

Ah well now, feeing desperately sorry for him now is a bit over the top.
    Its not like he wasn't able to play football this year.

• Advertisement

Robert2014 wrote: »
    As a Galway man, congratulations! Long time coming and on the day that was in it, even more special! Just keep your feet on the ground and there may be more in the year for ye yet. Well there's 4 counties in Connacht rooting for ye :)

Fair play Robert, its great to see other counties come on here in support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Didn't realise that ex Dublin and Ballymun legend Paddy Christie was on David Power's coaching team to the Tipp footballers for the last couple of months. Another connection between these two great counties on this momentous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

Sweeney and Fahey ! Liam Casey , Evan , Bill and El Zorro to be nominated at least .

Sweeney has to be the front runner for Player of the Year at the moment, along with Thomas Galligan and Gearoid McKiernan of Cavan. If he can produce a similar performance in the semi and lead Tipp to the final he would deserve.

Hard to know with the All Stars. The two finalists usually win the lions share of the awards but the significance of both Tipp and Cavan's provincial wins will undoubtedly see both counties win at least one. For me i feel Sweeney will take a position in the full forward line and if Tipp could beat Mayo they could then be looking at three or four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

From Limerick. It was a tough way for us to lose the semi final but we wouldn't have brought the same level of performance as ye did yesterday.

It was fitting given the weekend that was in it that it was Tipp instead of us involved (and that ye won)

It's great for Tipp that they managed to get something out of the underage boom from the late 00s to the mid 10s. It looked like it was slipping away from ye. I was shocked we beat ye last year in Thurles.

Great for all the people who soldiered for Tipp Football over the decades.

Many congrats on a brilliant win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Sweeney has to be the front runner for Player of the Year at the moment, along with Thomas Galligan and Gearoid McKiernan of Cavan. If he can produce a similar performance in the semi and lead Tipp to the final he would deserve.

Sweeney is 1/6 with Pa Power to win one , was 12/1 last week if anyone was sharp enough to get on it ;) !

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Didn't realise that ex Dublin and Ballymun legend Paddy Christie was on David Power's coaching team to the Tipp footballers for the last couple of months. Another connection between these two great counties on this momentous year.

Christie is on board since the start of the year , his Mother is from Lorrha !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Paddico wrote: »
    Thought Bill had one of the quietest games for Tipp in long time.
    Agreed, he is a great footballer but was quiet for his standards yesterday.

Christie is on board since the start of the year , his Mother is from Lorrha !

Another Dub with good Tipp blood :)

shockframe wrote: »
    From Limerick. It was a tough way for us to lose the semi final but we wouldn't have brought the same level of performance as ye did yesterday.

It was fitting given the weekend that was in it that it was Tipp instead of us involved (and that ye won)

It's great for Tipp that they managed to get something out of the underage boom from the late 00s to the mid 10s. It looked like it was slipping away from ye. I was shocked we beat ye last year in Thurles.

Great for all the people who soldiered for Tipp Football over the decades.

Many congrats on a brilliant win.

Thanks SF,
    You guys gave us the freight of our life. I though limerick shaded it that day but we got lucky. You'll be back stronger next year no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'm hearing murmerings of John McGrath, John Meagher and Seamus Kennedy being called up from the hurlers for the Mayo game? Big call for the management team with that, if there's any truth to it. We've always had defectors from football to hurling, but this is the only year I remember that the footballers are in the AI longer than the hurlers, so there's now a bit of a dilemma. Those players coming back would certainly bolster the squad, and probably the starting 15 in a couple of cases, but could cause unrest with the existing squad and certainly whichever 3 players would be bumped from the squad.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I'm hearing murmerings of John McGrath, John Meagher and Seamus Kennedy being called up from the hurlers for the Mayo game? Big call for the management team with that, if there's any truth to it. We've always had defectors from football to hurling, but this is the only year I remember that the footballers are in the AI longer than the hurlers, so there's now a bit of a dilemma. Those players coming back would certainly bolster the squad, and probably the starting 15 in a couple of cases, but could cause unrest with the existing squad and certainly whichever 3 players would be bumped from the squad.

Star mentioned that as a possibility on OTB, that's probably where it's coming from. I'd take that rumour with a pinch of salt. Kennedy has been plagued with a knee injury, John McGrath looks wrecked. Meagher chose the hurlers this year. I'd seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Star mentioned that as a possibility on OTB, that's probably where it's coming from. I'd take that rumour with a pinch of salt. Kennedy has been plagued with a knee injury, John McGrath looks wrecked. Meagher chose the hurlers this year. I'd seriously doubt it.

John meagher kicked with Tipp in the spring this year

1373 wrote: »
    John meagher kicked with Tipp in the spring this year

Kicking in the spring, can't bate it.

Back to the blue and gold for the Mayo game - hon Tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Even if you are not a Tipp Football fan, put out your Tipp flag, if you have one let the world know that we are in an All Ireland semi final.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Back to the blue and gold for the Mayo game - hon Tipp

That's a pity, love the green and white Jersey. Can't blame Teneo wanting the exposure.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

That's a pity, love the green and white Jersey. Can't blame Teneo wanting the exposure.

I doubt it makes much odds to them to be honest

I doubt it makes much odds to them to be honest

Well an all Ireland semi final is big for the team sponsor, they've already missed out on the historic munster final.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Well an all Ireland semi final is big for the team sponsor, they've already missed out on the historic munster final.

Only for Declan Kellys personal pride at having the company name on the jersey.

It will have zero impact on their business though.

Might be as simple as a colour clash - especially the keepers jersey and Mayo forwards.

That said, I think the wearing of the jersey was only ever going to be for the anniversary that was in it.

Fair play for nipping it in the bud because it was rumbling on - journalists making polls and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I think that any further wear of the jersey would devalue it. Happy to put it away.

That being said, if we somehow beat Mayo and ended up in a final against Dublin, I imagine the calls would be back to wear it again. I hope in that hypothetical those calls are ignored as I wouldn't like to see us get a hammering in the jersey.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    I think that any further wear of the jersey would devalue it. Happy to put it away.

That being said, if we somehow beat Mayo and ended up in a final against Dublin, I imagine the calls would be back to wear it again. I hope in that hypothetical those calls are ignored as I wouldn't like to see us get a hammering in the jersey.

Have been thinking about this - a win over Mayo would be fantastic, obviously, and looking forward to an AI Final would be unreal, but it's hard to think about that without the realisation that we'd only be hammered by the Dubs by 20 points should we get there... I wonder would we be better off losing to Mayo narrowly by a point!

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Have been thinking about this - a win over Mayo would be fantastic, obviously, and looking forward to an AI Final would be unreal, but it's hard to think about that without the realisation that we'd only be hammered by the Dubs by 20 points should we get there... I wonder would we be better off losing to Mayo narrowly by a point!

Not a chance, sure didn't this team beat the Dubs in Croker in 2011,we'd have no fear, think we'd be too good for them..

Seriously though bad attitude, Mayo are as likely to be hammered in the final, to get go a final would be unreal even if we could not attend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

We have to try to get to the final. The odds of beating the Dubs or whoever gets there are huge but we'd still have to try.

I suppose we beat Dublin in the 1920 final, so, bring it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

At least Diego Maradona got to cheer on his beloved Tipperary win the Munster Football Final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think we’d have to wear the green and white in the final to avoid a colour clash with either Dublin or Cavan

I think we’d have to wear the green and white in the final to avoid a colour clash with either Dublin or Cavan

It's a darker shade of Dublin blue this year than usual years so its a possibility. Dublin normally change to Cavan but strangely never to ourselves, Wicklow, Longford or Laois. Mayo of course, wont want us to have this problem and are hot favourites for this one. With O'Riordan, im more confident. Since Acheson left, we've lacked that leader in the middle of the park.

hawkwing wrote: »
    Well deserved indeed. So many others never won Munster, Franny Kelly,Derry Foley,Gene McGrath,John Owens,Peter Lambert,Babs,Brian Burke,Declan Browne etc etc. Feeling lucky to have even watched it,as 70-80yr olds that died in the last few years never even saw the likes of today despite following the football for years.

Think of that poor fella especially from Tipperary town who died watching the u21 final in 2015 up in Parnell Park. I was feet away from the poor man. Another man from Tyrone got a heart attack not too far away and thankfully he survived it.

• Advertisement

Think of that poor fella especially from Tipperary town who died watching the u21 final in 2015 up in Parnell Park. I was feet away from the poor man. Another man from Tyrone got a heart attack not too far away and thankfully he survived it.

Yeah I remember that, I was down behind the goal wasn't sure what was going on but rumours weren't good and it looked back. Half time dragged on while the tipp players were on the field in the rain getting soaked, couldn't have helped, Tyrone were lucky to have stayed in their dressing room.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah I remember that, I was down behind the goal wasn't sure what was going on but rumours weren't good and it looked back. Half time dragged on while the tipp players were on the field in the rain getting soaked, couldn't have helped, Tyrone were lucky to have stayed in their dressing room.

We scored what looked like a perfect goal that night too and loads of frees went against us. A refereeing performance that wasn't far off Sean Cleere against Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I can’t believe lads getting so transfixed with the jersey.
    We wear blue and gold. Wore the ‘commemorative’ kit as a once off given the historical significance. I remember cork wearing a navy top a few years back too.
    What matters is the lads wearing the jersey.
    Think it’s time to park it.

digzy wrote: »
    I can’t believe lads getting so transfixed with the jersey.
    We wear blue and gold. Wore the ‘commemorative’ kit as a once off given the historical significance. I remember cork wearing a navy top a few years back too.
    What matters is the lads wearing the jersey.
    Think it’s time to park it.

Digzy, in this year of all years though, I think we should have continued in white and green. Especially in Croke Park. We rarely get there and now we get there as Munster champions in this year of all years. Perhaps its bias on my part as I'm selling the bloody sunday replicas, and partly because I'm a sentimental old fart. I like the little touches. We wore it on the anniversary granted, but we also wore it in Pairc ui chaoimh. Bloody Sunday occurred in Croker where we are playing next.

I don't think anyone is pressing too hard for it. I would be in favour of keeping white and green for the year in the same way as I was a fan of Arsenal wearing their 1913 colours ( to sign off for the last season at Highbury although I'm a red/white diehard and it was proved later on that the shade was lighter than redcurrant)).

At the same time, i can see the other side of the argument. The team are clearly concerned that the commemorations could all become a sideshow and thats fair enough. i dont think personally it will. I think emotion helped us win last week both our hurlers and footballers maybe should have tapped into it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Digzy, in this year of all years though, I think we should have continued in white and green. Especially in Croke Park. We rarely get there and now we get there as Munster champions in this year of all years. Perhaps its bias on my part as I'm selling the bloody sunday replicas, and partly because I'm a sentimental old fart. I like the little touches. We wore it on the anniversary granted, but we also wore it in Pairc ui chaoimh. Bloody Sunday occurred in Croker where we are playing next.

I don't think anyone is pressing too hard for it. I would be in favour of keeping white and green for the year in the same way as I was a fan of Arsenal wearing their 1913 colours ( to sign off for the last season at Highbury although I'm a red/white diehard and it was proved later on that the shade was lighter than redcurrant)).

At the same time, i can see the other side of the argument. The team are clearly concerned that the commemorations could all become a sideshow and thats fair enough. i dont think personally it will. I think emotion helped us win last week both our hurlers and footballers maybe should have tapped into it more.
    I dont see why they should continue in it.
    It was a one off to commemorate something very specific. If we hadnt reached this level of competition it would have been worn in a friendly against dubs in croke park. As dave power said during week it would be a disservice to wear it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I feel like it would take from the poignancy from the whole thing if we lost wearing it.

I'd much rather keep it special.

I dont see why they should continue in it.
    It was a one off to commemorate something very specific. If we hadnt reached this level of competition it would have been worn in a friendly against dubs in croke park. As dave power said during week it would be a disservice to wear it again.

Well if we win the semi-final, Croker may deem it a clash and so we will have to wear it again as per regulations. it is said to be our designated change strip

Well if we win the semi-final, Croker may deem it a clash and so we will have to wear it again as per regulations. it is said to be our designated change strip

Sorry man. It’s a complete sideshow. Footballers kick footballs not jerseys. Outside of here, I don’t think anyone is on about it.

I think the sense of occasion drove us the last day. How many Munster finals have we appeared in since 1935? How many have we won? Precisely. We tapped into history and it drove savage performances all over the field. i couldnt name one bad player. Having watched several Tipp games

Ya, you could say we got lucky with the draw with Cork beating Kerry, but since Galway in 2016 we've have never given as complete a display. The shirts didn't enhance our display but the occasion did. I dont care what Tipperary wear next weekend. Im excited either way, but i dont think it would have been too much of a deal to wear the Grangeockler colours 100 years later in Croker

Sorry man. It’s a complete sideshow. Footballers kick footballs not jerseys. Outside of here, I don’t think anyone is on about it.

Out of over 600 people i polled, 92% were in favour of it. Tipperary footballers actually had a chance to tap into a wider fan base here and create greater interest in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think the sense of occasion drove us the last day. How many Munster finals have we appeared in since 1935? How many have we won? Precisely. We tapped into history and it drove savage performances all over the field. i couldnt name one bad player. Having watched several Tipp games

Ya, you could say we got lucky with the draw with Cork beating Kerry, but since Galway in 2016 we've have never given as complete a display. The shirts didn't enhance our display but the occasion did. I dont care what Tipperary wear next weekend. Im excited either way, but i dont think it would have been too much of a deal to wear the Grangeockler colours 100 years later in Croker
    It was a special one off jersey for a special occasion. That tipp won was fantastic but the jersey should be left from the tipp team wearing it now.
    Out of over 600 people i polled, 92% were in favour of it. Tipperary footballers actually had a chance to tap into a wider fan base here and create greater interest in the game.
    polled where and who exactly? Link to such a poll?
    They tapped into a wider fan base through winning not what they wore.

Sure you said ‘I dont care what Tipperary wear next weekend’.....yet you polled 600 people.....
    It’s a sideshow and once the ball is thrown in I’d say it won’t be on too many peoples minds.

Sure you said ‘I dont care what Tipperary wear next weekend’.....yet you polled 600 people.....
    It’s a sideshow and once the ball is thrown in I’d say it won’t be on too many peoples minds.

No no hold on now, I put one poll up on twitter and 600 people responded. There is a difference. I didn't ask each individually in person :D

It wont be on my mind next Sunday or any of those who hoped for it. In fact, i think the detractors made a bigger deal out of it than the promoters. Either way, up the Premier next Sunday.

No no hold on now, I put one poll up on twitter and 600 people responded. There is a difference. I didn't ask each individually in person :D

It wont be on my mind next Sunday or any of those who hoped for it. In fact, i think the detractors made a bigger deal out of it than the promoters. Either way, up the Premier next Sunday.

‘Detractors’ ?
    Ah here....

It was a commemorative jersey to mark a significant event in the history of the gaa and our country at large.
    I think it’s those of us who respect the occasion for what it was (as remembering something horrible but somber) are treating the jersey with the respect it deserves, hence the wearing of it as a ‘once off’. I don’t see how that detracts from anything...the opposite is the case.
    I don’t see the need for it being treated like ‘ my lucky underpants’.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

To be fair to the management
    .they wore the jerseys for a week before the Munster final so it wasn't a distraction on match day. That shows a bit of balls and ambition.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement