Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator options

Options
  • 24-11-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭

I am building an extension to my kitchen and a radiator has to go on the main wall, at the moment a space has been left for a 1400 rad but I am getting that reduced down to 1200, I know it won't be the same heat but this radiator while necessary is ruining the flow of this new kitchen :)

Before I fully commit to this is there any better radiator for the job than the standard panel one? Vertical won't work either but the thickness of the radiator doesn't matter as such, in my ideal world I would have a radiator 3 ft long max but a foot thick as the depth won't matter as there will be wall units over it or shelves at least probably so how far it sticks out doesn't matter.

Is there any alternative I can consider here to keep the max wall space while still having a radiator? I have googled loads and the only thing that looks thicker is the old style ones that look a bit like an oil filled radiator but fancier. Would something like that be an option, do they give out more heat per foot of length because of the design? They always seem to be fairly short in length. Any advice appreciated.

Actually funny enough after I just finished typing this I did one more google and saw this, is something like this an option for what I want I wonder? https://www.geyser.co.uk/old-style-high-output-gloss-white-6-column-radiator-300mm-high-x-609mm-wide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It might be, but probably only one third of the output of a 1400mm double panel.

Have you a photo?

Did you consider two smaller radiators, instead of one larger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I meant more that design rather than that particular size one but having looked now they don't seem to do it in another size.

Do you mean using two as in one outside the other? Never occurred to me, would it work?

By coincidence builder called this evening and now says a vertical would be possible but obviously would be taller, well obviously! So I might be better off put in a vertical and lose total wall of a smaller distance than lose wider space below the counter height of the wall and have to put presses overhead for a wider one if you can follow that :)

Will try take pic in daylight that might throw some light on the predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It u is a possible to get what is called a ‘hydronic plinth heater’ which goes under the kitchen and uses a fan (rather than natural convection) to blow warmth from the central heating around the kitchen. It might get you out if a tight spot especially if it allowed you get a bit more counter space or something.

It is important to look at the heat output (in kW or BTU) for whichever solution you choose.

Thanks for suggestion but I didn't want those fan heaters, I dislike that sort of blowing heat, odd I know but that's me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

phormium wrote: »
    I meant more that design rather than that particular size one but having looked now they don't seem to do it in another size.

Do you mean using two as in one outside the other? Never occurred to me, would it work?

By coincidence builder called this evening and now says a vertical would be possible but obviously would be taller, well obviously! So I might be better off put in a vertical and lose total wall of a smaller distance than lose wider space below the counter height of the wall and have to put presses overhead for a wider one if you can follow that :)

Will try take pic in daylight that might throw some light on the predicament.

I was thinking more about putting two smaller ones in separate locations. I.e that you might have a small bit of space elsewhere too? Just a thought.

One in front of the other would be very unusual, but could form part of a solution, maybe with a custom built cabinet?

Underfloor heating an option at this stage?

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for all suggestions. Underfloor not an option and never was. No other bit of wall would you believe to put another one but all is not lost :) agreement has been reached today. When I really asked for another solution then a space for a vertical one and a spec was sourced but turns out it would actually interfere with the kitchen design more than the ordinary one as it would limit higher up presses if put on back wall or it moved to right angle of that a space would have to left anyway as presses couldn't run right up to it.

Best solution is put in a 1200 one with counter above and display press which I want and something custom built like front of a radiator cabinet to hide the bog standardness of the radiator, might look like a nice dresser sort of. Needs must sure!

Grateful for the suggestions anyway :)

Just to update I got a Stelrad triple radiator which is better than the double obviously so I was able to size down to a 600x900 so will give me the BTUs in the smaller space. Somebody on some forum suggested it to me, I really thought it was here but doesn't seem to be, thanks to them anyway whoever they were :)

Advertisement