Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Connery RIP

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dr No is on RTE 2 on Sunday at 5:55 pm. If you're not a Bond aficionado, it's the very first one. Set in Barbados, it features that famous shot of Ursula Andress emerging from the sea, and a diverse cohort of people pretending to be Chinese, most of whom aren't even Asian. There's a surprising amount of investigation rather than action that means it's aged a little better than some of the later ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mikhail wrote: »
    Dr No is on RTE 2 on Sunday at 5:55 pm. If you're not a Bond aficionado, it's the very first one. Set in Barbados, it features that famous shot of Ursula Andress emerging from the sea, and a diverse cohort of people pretending to be Chinese, most of whom aren't even Asian. There's a surprising amount of investigation rather than action that means it's aged a little better than some of the later ones.

I've watched this intro so many times over the last few days, when the music comes in it gives me chills. This is the smoothest man in film history

Gotta love this letter to Apple. *Edit it might be a fake actually. But still worth a post!

Watched The Anderson Tapes again last night, cracking heist movie.

4e004661ccd1d5993e150000?width=1200&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Re Bray I know a guy who said that his now elderly Wicklow neighbour and Connery were having a fling in the 70's at some point.
    Connery's wife knew where to find him - at her house.

Legend of an actor but stated adamantly on several occasions that it was ok to take the hand to women

Had a reputation for being quite mean also and pretty much never signed an autograph as begrudged the possibility of some people selling it on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1043417/Autographs-I-dont-paid--I-dont-sign--The-obsession-money-haunts-Sean-Connery.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Lets not forget Delightful song from "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" sung by Sean Connery and Janet Munro

the end looks like they filmed it near the same magical part of Ireland where the Irish episode of Sons of Anarchy was filmed :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

glasso wrote: »
    Re Bray I know a guy who said that his now elderly Wicklow neighbour and Connery were having a fling in the 70's at some point.
    Connery's wife knew where to find him - at her house.

Legend of an actor but stated adamantly on several occasions that it was ok to take the hand to women

Had a reputation for being quite mean also and pretty much never signed an autograph as begrudged the possibility of some people selling it on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1043417/Autographs-I-dont-paid--I-dont-sign--The-obsession-money-haunts-Sean-Connery.html

"Nevva chlosed Fisht dough"

p to the e wrote: »
    "Nevva chlosed Fisht dough"

open-fist was for the women-slapping (although his first wife disputes this)

closed-fist for his money it seems
    Roald Dahl was in Japan for the filming of You Only Live Twice, the new James Bond movie he had adapted – very loosely – from Ian Fleming’s novel. The shoot was based for a time around the city of Kagoshima in the country’s sweltering south, and at the end of the day the cast and crew would relax with a cold beer on set. Sean Connery joined in with the drinking but, as Dahl quickly noticed, left the business of paying to other people.

“He was the only man making a million in the film and he never stood anyone a round,” Dahl later observed. “This was known. They all talked about it. He is not an attractive personality.”

I wonder if growing up as working class brought the miser out in him. I looked around and he was reportedly worth about $350 million (https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/sean-connery-net-worth/). He apparently would have earned about $450 million from Lord of the Rings. Do'h

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    I wonder if growing up as working class brought the miser out in him. I looked around and he was reportedly worth about $350 million (https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/sean-connery-net-worth/). He apparently would have earned about $450 million from Lord of the Rings. Do'h

Its probably racist to say it these days but the Scots are notoriously tight fisted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭teroknor83

Undoubtedly the best and my favourite Bond.

Just recently rewatched The Hunt for Red October after hearing of his passing.

Also The Hill and The Offence have been recommended to me. They are on my to-watch list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

teroknor83 wrote: »
    Undoubtedly the best and my favourite Bond.

Just recently rewatched The Hunt for Red October after hearing of his passing.

Also The Hill and The Offence have been recommended to me. They are on my to-watch list.

I agree that he was the best Bond, my favourite too.

Sean put in a fantastic performance in The Offence.

Advertisement