Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wide-fit Wedding Shoes

• 20-11-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where is good for wide fitting wedding shoes?! I got a pair of EE wide from Rainbow Club, but unfortunately they pinch and I'll be out of pocket now paying ~28euro to return them.

I've always had TERRIBLE trouble finding shoes that fit me. I'd much prefer to buy a pair in a shop so I can try loads on in the hopes of finding something that'll fit comfortably, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Any recommends for online orders?? Ideally I want ivory (to match my dress), small block heel (cause I just can't do heels) and closed toe (cause I don't like toes!). This looks ideal, but I'm afraid to order it as it's even narrower (E) than the other pair I just bought (EE):
    https://www.paradoxlondon.com/wide-fit-shoes/amiya-ivory.html

Help :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Could you try widening them yourself? Shoving things into and leaving for a while could be an option if it's only a small pinch.

(You probably wouldn't want to do this with valuable shoes, but I fill freezer bags about a third to a half full, shove them in the shoe and pop the shoe in the freezer for a while. The water freezing gradually stretches the shoe, but you might not want to risk it with wedding shoes!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks Faith, but I'm reluctant to try anything like that though in case it doesn't work and I won't be able to return them then due to damage.

It's only a small pinch to start off with, but I can tell (from painful experience) that it would definitely cause a cut/blister after wearing them for a while. I don't think any amount of stretching will help unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I have been buying trainers here for years, they sell shoes as well.

https://www.widefitshoes.co.uk/

In case you don't know, 2E is the width you have tried, 4E is the same width but a taller toe box, 6E and 8E are the next widths up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have a wide foot too and bought the Charlotte Mills in George Pearl. Wide fit, very soft leather, block heal. The Imogen version has a lower block heal too. Expensive but very wearable after the day too.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »

I was considering those actually! I really like the blue trim.

I've ordered another pair from simply be (think they're linked to oxendales). Also EEE fit and a wedge heel with straps. They're ivory though instead of white, so should match the colour of my dress... fingers crossed they'll fit :/ At least they do free returns anyway! I feel like this may not be the end of my search though...

woodchuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know where is good for wide fitting wedding shoes?! I got a pair of EE wide from Rainbow Club, but unfortunately they pinch and I'll be out of pocket now paying ~28euro to return them.

Hi OP, any chance you paid with paypal? If so you should be able to recover the cost of the return
    https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 morebarn

Have you ever considered trying a cobbler?

Most of them have a proper stretching gadget. Have seen my own husband stretching wedding shoes successfully.
    He has various little metal attachments that can be used for particular parts of the shoe, to hone in on a particular problem spot.

Just a suggestion!

I hope you find your perfect shoes.

Hi OP, any chance you paid with paypal? If so you should be able to recover the cost of the return
    https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

I didn't use paypal unfortunately.

morebarn wrote: »
    Have you ever considered trying a cobbler?

Most of them have a proper stretching gadget. Have seen my own husband stretching wedding shoes successfully.
    He has various little metal attachments that can be used for particular parts of the shoe, to hone in on a particular problem spot.

Just a suggestion!

I hope you find your perfect shoes.

I'll definitively keep that in mind, thanks a mill :)

• Advertisement

The saga continues... these were the second pair of shoes I ordered:
    https://www.simplybe.ie/shop/perfect-esta-wide-fit-satin-bar-shoe/ue808/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3160

Miraculously they are actually wide enough, but they're too big. I could probably do with going down a size in them, but they're only available in one size :rolleyes:

So do I just return these ones and keep looking, or is there anything I can do to make this pair fit properly?? There is too much room around the ankle and if I don't use the strap, they come right off when I try to walk (I'll try attach pics...). And the strap is lose and not the type that can be adjusted (just one button). I'm reluctant to try something like inserts, because any time I have in the past they just end up shifting around and are uncomfortable. Is there anything a cobbler could do or is it just a case of if it's too big, it's too big?! Maybe they could adjust the strap, but not the size of the shoe?

Pics to show what I mean:

Definitely just send them back. They don’t fit at all and I doubt there’s anything you can do to change that given the fit.

Faith wrote: »
    Definitely just send them back. They don’t fit at all and I doubt there’s anything you can do to change that given the fit.

Thanks Faith. I suspected as much, but just thought I'd check here in case there were any ideas.

Back to the drawing board... I'll probably end up wearing flip flops the ways things are going!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Would you be able to get a pair of shoes that fit well covered in material so they have the bridal look? I remember that being a thing at one stage, do they still do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

What a disaster for you! Would you consider going down the route of a really bold coloured shoe? Maybe matching the bridesmaid's dress or something? If your dress is long your shoes will hardly be noticed at all. My friend wore the most amazing pair of blue (something blue) and white shoes for her wedding. Or you could go down the funky route of Converse with ribbon laces if that suited your style.

These may help your search! They seem to do different widths too.

https://www.paradoxlondon.com/wedding-shoes/wide-fit-shoes.html

I'll be wearing a tea length dress, so my feet will be on show all day. So I don't think I could pull off runners unfortunately!

I'd be very happy to wear funky/colourful shoes! In fact, that would probably be my preference :P I didn't have any luck finding anything colourful, very wide fitting, in my size and formal looking though. So I've just gone back to the standard bridal options because at least there seem to be some wide fitting options available and they're all formal looking!

Normally I'm a size 5-6 depending on what I try on, but after that pair of size 6 shoes that are huge on me, I think I'll be sticking to size 5! Unfortunately some wide fitting shoes only come in a size 6 though.

Shoe shopping has always been a nightmare for me. All I own are runners and black shoes!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Would you be able to get a pair of shoes that fit well covered in material so they have the bridal look? I remember that being a thing at one stage, do they still do it?

I've never even heard of this! I only own black shoes though... don't know if it's possible to cover those effectively :/ The heels are black too.

These may help your search! They seem to do different widths too.

https://www.paradoxlondon.com/wedding-shoes/wide-fit-shoes.html

Yeah I'm considering trying paradox alright. It's a bit of a gamble thought because the pair I like the look of is only E. The E fit from rainbow club pinched on me, so I'm thinking E might not be wide enough.

The simply B pair were EEE and were definitely wide enough! So ideally I'd prefer to try another EEE pair, but in a smaller size.

I'm considering these:
    https://www.simplybe.ie/shop/perfect-elsa-wide-fit-open-waist-court/ue806/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3160&optionColour=Ivory&optionSize=36

Another EEE option, the same make as the pair that came today, but available in size 5 (so hopefully wouldn't be too big this time!) and an adjustable strap. I'm a bit nervous about ordering another "open waist" pair though - that was the style of the rainbow club pair I tried that pinched and it was the bit where the front half of the shoe meets the base that dug into me :/ So I wonder if that style is just bad for my wonky gait (I'm a supinator).

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill!

I might order a few different pairs at once, take whatever hits on the cost of shipping/returns and just hope ONE of them fits properly :rolleyes: Waiting weeks between orders is not fun.

[I remember posting in another thread before, around the start of the pandemic, saying we still had so much to organise if we were to go ahead with the wedding in 2020, including wedding shoes. Someone was like "Eh... how long does it take to buy a pair of shoes". THIS long :P]

When I got married, I used a website where you could design your own shoes. I checked it recently though and it's gone - shame, it would have been a possible solution!

Advertisement