Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I divorce my husband when don't know where he is?

Options
  • 23-11-2020 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi. My husband walked out on me 2yrs ago with no contact since and I have no idea where he is living now, only that's he's back down in Wexford. How do I divorce him and who pays for the divorce? What happens if he refuses? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

Hi,

I divorced my wife a few years ago. I had to prove we separated more than 2 years. I had to put adverts in national newspapers and a local one where I thought she might be living looking for her or her solicitors to contact mine. Nothing was heard, we went to court and I was granted a divorce. It cost me about €1200.

Thanks,

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

When you say "we" went to court, did you find her?

When you say "we" went to court, did you find her or could you divorce her without her knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

pretty sure you can apply for a juridicial separation based on terms of desertion. after 12 months, once granted, divorce should be straightforward .

How do I apply for desertion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd advise getting yourself legal representation to advise you on how best to progress and navigate this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A friend is in the process of divorce at the moment and also didn't have her ex's current address. Her solicitor has been directing all letters to his mother's home address. He had gone back to live there for a time after leaving the family home. Not sure if you have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Consider whether you want to have to go to court for a judicial separation and then again for divorce rather than just filing for divorce directly.

You may end up increasing your legal costs (both sides usually pay their own costs) and increasing the time needed to finalise proceedings by adding an unnecessary judicial separation step.

Advertisement