Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All in one Dishwasher tablets- how good are they?

Options
  • 09-03-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Have a neff dishwasher that is working away after 6 years.Only problem ever with it was water not emptying out after a wash cycle a few years ago,service man came and problem was blocked filter (hadn’t been cleaned in a while).
    We tend to use ‘Finish’ salt and rinse aid as well as generic Aldi Magnum dishwasher tablets.
    My question is ‘is it overkill to still fill up on salt and rinse aid when machine light comes on?’.....as well as using ‘All in one’ tablets....meant to have rinse aid and salt etc in them.....as finish stuff is not cheap.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Have a neff dishwasher that is working away after 6 years.Only problem ever with it was water not emptying out after a wash cycle a few years ago,service man came and problem was blocked filter (hadn’t been cleaned in a while).
    We tend to use ‘Finish’ salt and rinse aid as well as generic Aldi Magnum dishwasher tablets.
    My question is ‘is it overkill to still fill up on salt and rinse aid when machine light comes on?’.....as well as using ‘All in one’ tablets....meant to have rinse aid and salt etc in them.....as finish stuff is not cheap.

Thanks for any replies.

We use Dunnes stores ones but also fill up with salt and use white vinegar in the rinse aid holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I use Fairy Platinum and Tesco All in 1. Fairy for the real heavy burnt on stuff. You don’t need rinse aid if you don’t care about water marks but you still need to add salt in certain hard water areas regardless of whether your tablets are all in 1. Tesco and Aldi sell their own brand versions of rinse aid. It does the job sufficiently. Wouldn’t waste my money on Finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I use the Aldi all in one tablets (Magnum?) and nothing else. No streaks, and the dishwasher is still going strong years later (although not heavily used).

Aldi ocasionally have giant boxes of the tablets for half price in their specials, I stock up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

I like the aldi tablets. I can always taste fairy on my glasses etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I use the Aldi all in one tablets (Magnum?) and nothing else. No streaks, and the dishwasher is still going strong years later (although not heavily used).

Aldi ocasionally have giant boxes of the tablets for half price in their specials, I stock up then.
    Yep, same here. No problems. We still use salt though because of hard water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

ideally rinse aid and powder instead of the all in one tablet are a better set up. the all in one is dispensed at the start of the wash and I find that the cellophane surround doesn't totally dissolve in some cases leading to blockage of the spray arms especially if the bottom filter isn't locked into position. Rinse aid does two jobs, primarily it puts a shine on the delph but it also helps to shed water thus preventing droplets on the delph when the programme has finished. Rinse aid is dispensed at the last rinse. On older d/w they had a heating element in the base of the machine which also came in after the final rinse ensuring that the delph always came out dry. As regards the salt if water is hard salt is needed as there is a chemical reaction between it and the built in resin which breaks down the lime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Apologies for digging up an old thread, it's not really worth starting a new one.

I used to get brown spots on my knives from the dishwasher, then switched to the cheap Tesco/Dunnes basic tablets and everything was perfect. However these have not been available for the last while and the problem has returned when I started using the all in one or 3 in one tabs.

Is any of these basic tablets available anywhere or any solutions to the brown spots on knives? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kate291066

christy c wrote: »
    Apologies for digging up an old thread, it's not really worth starting a new one.

I used to get brown spots on my knives from the dishwasher, then switched to the cheap Tesco/Dunnes basic tablets and everything was perfect. However these have not been available for the last while and the problem has returned when I started using the all in one or 3 in one tabs.

Is any of these basic tablets available anywhere or any solutions to the brown spots on knives? Thanks.

Have to say I have tried every dishwasher tablet going , from the most expensive one to the cheaper brands and the only one I have stayed with are the dunnes stores own brand €2 for 30, they are the best I have ever come across , I found with the dearer ones eg finish and all them always leave a salt like coating on glasses , the dunnes stores ones clean and leave a sparkle to all my dishes , cannot recommend them enough

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Both Aldi and Lidl have "classic" dishwasher tablets that are nothing but that, no 3-in-1 nonsense. They still sell the salt and rinse-aid separately too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aldi's ones work perfectly for me, vastly better than any of the big brands, however I use separate salt in the ion exchanger; I can't see how it can possibly be claimed that a tablet can replenish that.

Brown spots on knives would suggest insufficient corrosion inhibitor in whatever you're using. Or - unlikely, but worth mentioning - salt spills around the filler if you're using separate salt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement