Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown Thomas mens dept has turned into lifestyle sports

• 14-01-2019 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Has BT men's department turned into the new lifestyle sports or something? It's turned into runners, tracksuits and flashy tops.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A lot of the current trends in menswear are street-style & sportswear inspired, so I imagine that's reflected in the collections they've bought in for the season.

Is there a particular style or item you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Yeah a rip off :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Most of the big mens design houses are focusing on athletic/"althleisure" as cornerstones of their collections. BTs is a fashion store, not a style store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Twee. wrote: »
    A lot of the current trends in menswear are street-style & sportswear inspired, so I imagine that's reflected in the collections they've bought in for the season.

Is there a particular style or item you're looking for?

I was looking for office casual, pair of oxfords, wool trousers etc but sales staff said that they don't put the oxfords on display and the trousers were mainly chinos rather than wool trousers. I've been in there several times over December/January and the customer in the men's dept seems to be teenagers, tracksuits, runners, no socks (in winter), puffy jacket, etc. Is this their target customer these days (with the exception of the suit dept)?

I was looking for office casual, pair of oxfords, wool trousers etc but sales staff said that they don't put the oxfords on display and the trousers were mainly chinos rather than wool trousers. I've been in there several times over December/January and the customer in the men's dept seems to be teenagers, tracksuits, runners, no socks (in winter), puffy jacket, etc. Is this their target customer these days (with the exception of the suit dept)?

TBH yeah, probably.

• Advertisement

Check out Reiss for the trousers maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

COS have men's wool trousers at least on their website.

TBH I don't think that many people in Ireland are prepared to buy more high end clothes for work, a good suit maybe but not trousers on it's own. Sportswear is on trend and also the easiest type of clothing to show off logos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Did you check the Brown Thomas website?

Did you check the Brown Thomas website?

Ah, it's not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Would you not check out Galvin for men in Tullamore, I've heard from colleagues that's the place to go for menswear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

No matter how many times I walk around that part of the shop, I never know where I am. The layout is so confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Birdsong wrote: »
    Would you not check out Galvin for men in Tullamore, I've heard from colleagues that's the place to go for menswear.

Galvin's is good. There is a good chance they would have some shoes too but It depends where op is and how much stuff he is looking for. I wouldn't drive to Tullamore just for a pair of trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

To me it looks like menswear is suddenly becoming aimed at 15 year olds.
    It's not even a age thing, but there's nothing (other than suits) that's elegant, classy or sophisticated anymore. I think it's like we've entered this kind of weird space where some bad interpretation of hipster fashion has gone mainstream and it really only suits a very small % of people.

I don't mind loud, but it's just an ugly period in fashion.

It'll be like when you look back at videos of the 80s when everyone was walking around in shell suits.

Cos stuff is pretty elegant. Sharp lines and muted colours. Saw some new stuff in there that I liked.

Cos have great stuff for men. I think their styling (mannequins/lookbooks etc) could be potentially a little off-putting for some men, but they have really well-made and stylish pieces that could fit in any guy's wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

+1 on Cos and also agree with the BT mens comment, I am always amazed at the sockless teens rifling through the bargain rail down there. Tbh I only tend to go into BT mens under duress, I find the low ceiling very disorientating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Phibsboro wrote: »
    +1 on Cos and also agree with the BT mens comment, I am always amazed at the sockless teens rifling through the bargain rail down there. Tbh I only tend to go into BT mens under duress, I find the low ceiling very disorientating.

Agreed! I'm only just above 6 foot and feel I have to duck my head going down some of those steps around the menswear basement. Not very enticing. I just find everything unnecessarily expensive in BT when you can get really nice clothes elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Massimo Dutti and Ted Baker do lovely clothes in my opinion for reasonable prices. Reiss and Hugo Boss also even if a bit pricier but still less than BT.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    To me it looks like menswear is suddenly becoming aimed at 15 year olds.
    It's not even a age thing, but there's nothing (other than suits) that's elegant, classy or sophisticated anymore. I think it's like we've entered this kind of weird space where some bad interpretation of hipster fashion has gone mainstream and it really only suits a very small % of people.

I don’t know if I agree. Yes the fashion house stuff is often geared to the more streetwear type stuff but there’s also beena resurgence in prep and mid century modern type items like knit polos, wool trousers etc. you just need to know where to shop them and how to put them together, and honestly to not be afraid to stand out from the athleisure crowd.

I don’t know if I agree. Yes the fashion house stuff is often geared to the more streetwear type stuff but there’s also beena resurgence in prep and mid century modern type items like knit polos, wool trousers etc. you just need to know where to shop them and how to put them together, and honestly to not be afraid to stand out from the athleisure crowd.

Not many places in Dublin.

Not many places in Dublin.

That might be fair, I do pretty much all my shopping online these days.

• Advertisement

That might be fair, I do pretty much all my shopping online these days.

Me too. The only things I really feel the need to try on are jeans. Other than that once you know your sizes in the brands you buy, online is the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The BT menswear department has completely changed, and not in a good way.

dudara wrote: »
    The BT menswear department has completely changed, and not in a good way.

Elaborate please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

what is their obsession with this kooples brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Hanley and co. in Galway do nice stuff and have an online store

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

A good place to shop is ej menswear in Sligo .
    I've bought a good few things over the past year on line .
    Items are always well presented .
    Another good site is suits supply .
    Especially for wool suits / trousers .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Some snappy clothes on this site.

https://www.joebrowns.co.uk/pu+mens-clothing+mc-+1?contenta=HPPanel2

shipping is very rapid too, ordered on 20th had it today, (23rd)

selous wrote: »
    Some snappy clothes on this site.

https://www.joebrowns.co.uk/pu+mens-clothing+mc-+1?contenta=HPPanel2

shipping is very rapid too, ordered on 20th had it today, (23rd)

Hard to know who that site is geared towards. Those shirts are something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

You're not wrong there :D:D

Ordered the other half a coat for Christmas, she loved it, (half bloody price now) seen another at weekend 1/2 price too, told me get it....grrrr. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement