Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skins gone (was Old menu gone - how do you....)

Options
  • 07-01-2019 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

Get todays posts?
    Use more real estate on the page and not have the big blank sides?
    Get to user CP?
    Get to Feedback through the small menu at the top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hi,

I have been using the legacy skinrather than the Default or Dark theme available in settings as I find them both terrible.

However today it has swapped me over to the 'Default' view and I can't find any option to continue viewing in the legacy style. I have followed the instructions Niamh has posted here. However when I choose 'Edit Options' I do not have any skin options dropdown on that page.

Is there any other way to access the 'White' or 'Boards.ie Beta' skins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pllease bring back the old menu, I'm completely lost.
    Sorry for impinging on …..'s thread, navigation is difficult.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Threads merged.
    ....... wrote: »
    Get todays posts?
    Get to user CP?

You can use wide mode to mitigate some of the mess of the default skin.

User CP is in the dropdown under your username.

Feedback and the other Feedback Helpdesk category stuff isn't listed there.

I've already reported this issue. While the old and unused skins were slated for removal, the white skin shouldn't have gone entirely.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Get todays posts?
    Do you mean latest posts? They are in the first tab in the homepage. Your own followed threads are in the My Threads tab on the homepage.

You can choose which tab automatically displays on the Homepage for you here (the second last option): https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions
    If you go to Appearance Settings, try out 'Cosy Mode' and 'Full Width' to see if one or both of them fit the bill for you: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings
    Get to user CP?
    Hover over your username at the top right of any page and the dropdown menu that appears includes a link to the Control Panel.
    Talk To > Boards.ie > Help & Feedback > Feedback

Alternatively if you start to type 'Feedback' into the search bar, give it a second and a link to the Feedback forum will be suggested, just click on that to take you directly to the forum. This will work for any forum you are searching for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ugh.....

My legacy has also gone.

Bring it back please.

• Advertisement

We have removed the least used, unsupported old skins as announced here. If, after using the skin you are on now for a while, you are still having trouble finding things, please feel free to ask here.

Spear wrote: »
    Threads merged.

You can use wide mode to mitigate some of the mess of the default skin.

User CP is in the dropdown under your username.

Feedback and the other Feedback Helpdesk category stuff isn't listed there.

I've already reported this issue. While the old and unused skins were slated for removal, the white skin shouldn't have gone entirely.

Feedback is in the menu as per my earlier post there under Talk To > Boards.ie

Anyone who was already on the White forum skin should be still on the White forum skin now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Feedback is in the menu as per my earlier post there under Talk To > Boards.ie

Anyone who was already on the White forum skin should be still on the White forum skin now.

I'm pretty sure I was on white, and it's gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I was on White, it's gone now. There's no option to change in the Edit Options section either.

Yep I was on white. I have been changed to default. And I cannot change back to white following the instructions in the Sticky. There is no drop down menu under the 'Edit Options' tab in User CP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Frisbee wrote: »

However today it has swapped me over to the 'Default' view and I can't find any option to continue viewing in the legacy style. I have followed the instructions Niamh has posted here. However when I choose 'Edit Options' I do not have any skin options dropdown on that page.

Is there any other way to access the 'White' or 'Boards.ie Beta' skins ?
    Same question from me - I posted it as a reply to the 'Announcement' without knowing there was a thread here.

The announcement mentions two skins, White and Boards.ie Beta, but there are no skin options at the bottom of the page (Miscellaneous options is the last on the list).*

Going to 'Appearance Settings' doesn't bring up those skin options either.

*Somewhat perversely perhaps, when I was using the vbulletin skin, I was able to follow the instructions on the announcement, and find the Edit Skins option, but under the default skin, it isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Do you mean latest posts?

No - I mean todays posts. It effectively returned you all posts sorted in date descending.

Latest posts only shows you a small few.

Thanks guys. What exactly has changed about what you see? As far as we can see here, you are all still on the White forum skin so we're trying to ascertain what has changed for you?

Thanks guys. What exactly has changed about what you see? As far as we can see here, you are all still on the White forum skin so we're trying to ascertain what has changed for you?

I cant get to any skins as per the sticky. The option just doesnt appear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I can't get back to the beta skin :(

I cant find anything!

I was on white and was reverted to the default skin.

Under the User CP -> Edit Options, there's no entry at all for the theme/skins, no dropdown, no reference at all.

I am seeing the 'Default' Skin rather than the old style original White skin.

Big gaps both side, dark blue dividers, blue ribbon across the top rather than drop down menus for each category Rec / Soc / Sports/ Arts etc.

Could one of you post a screenshot of the homepage you are seeing please?

Up until today, I was on the vBulletin skin with the outdated dropdown menu (music, edu, rec, soc, tech, etc) running along the top of the forum.

I'm now on the Default theme, but I'd like to find and look at the 'White' and 'Boards.ie Beta' skins mentioned in the announcement. But, following the instructions in the announcement and going to 'Edit Options' doesn't show any mention of either skin.

• Advertisement

I cant get to any skins as per the sticky. The option just doesnt appear.
    Eoin wrote: »
    I can't get back to the beta skin :(

We posted how to change skins in advance of the old ones being removed so that people could change over if they wanted to (in advance). However that menu could be reinstated for a time to choose another of the skins we are keeping if necessary. I'm more concerned with finding out what has happened with the White skin first though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could one of you post a screenshot of the homepage you are seeing please?

Uploaded - but I always saw this homepage. When I browsed back to a thread or forum, I'd get the beta theme again.

We posted how to change skins in advance of the old ones being removed so that people could change over if they wanted to (in advance). However that menu could be reinstated for a time to choose another of the skins we are keeping if necessary. I'm more concerned with finding out what has happened with the White skin first though.

I was already using the beta theme, but now I am not as of today.

osarusan wrote: »
    Up until today, I was on the vBulletin skin with the outdated dropdown menu (music, edu, rec, soc, tech, etc) running along the top of the forum.

I'm now on the Default theme, but I'd like to find and look at the 'White' and 'Boards.ie Beta' skins mentioned in the announcement. But, following the instructions in the annoucement and going to 'Edit Options' doesn't sow any mention of either skin.

You were on the White forum skin (and still are according to what I can see here). Is it just the Menu set that differs or is the whole look of the site different if you navigate around threads and forums?

You were on the White forum skin (and still are according to what I can see here). Is it just the Menu set that differs or is the whole look of the site different if you navigate around threads and forums?

The whole look of the site has reverted from white for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Uploaded - but I always saw this homepage. When I browsed back to a thread or forum, I'd get the beta theme again.

Same for me. This homepage, along with 'my forums', 'my threads', appeared like this. Once I clicked into a thread or a forum, or my CP, it would revert back to the White skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is what I have I presume this is White mode.

2PWSs.jpg

Everything is different. Until today, it was the vBulletin skin.

Whether or not I was on the 'white' vBulletin skin or not I don't know, so maybe that is the same.

Right now, there is no way for me to tell what skin I am actually using. There's nothing that says so (or offers any options) in 'Edit settings' - no mention of 'White' or 'Boards.ie Beta'.

And in Appearance settings, I can choose between default theme and dark theme (as well as 'cosy' and 'full width' options).

Exact same for me. The home page would be that awful looking 'Default' But once I went into a thread or forum I would get the old vbulletin style skin.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

0.18% of users used old skins.

What % of active users?
    What % of posts were made by users on skins you killed?

Both of those figures are much higher than the (I presume) misleading 0.18%

Are thread breadcrumbs at the bottom a thing of the past too? I used them the whole time from within threads to navigate back to the forum. Do I have to go back to the top or go to the very bottom now to get the 'Back to forum' link?

Given that these sites were not maintained anyhow, and the people using them for the most part were aware and ok with this, why was this decision taken now to kill them? They hadn't been maintained for years? This default layout (that cannot be changed in UserCP) is terrible.

Advertisement