Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom Memories

Options
  • 15-03-2014 12:42pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A thread for people to say thanks etc.

Driving generally really late at night to or from my girlfriend at the times house and texting in Derek on the lounge/Album Archive and having the craic. There's something about the quietness of dark, car headlight brightened-roads and good music that always seemed to be on that made that trek enjoyable.

(I loved a particular chat we had about Blues Run the Game and hearing the crazy story of Jackson C Frank.)

Being stuck in a college lab with 2/3 of my oldest friends playing Risk on a crappy windows pc and listening to Blotooth or NPB or Super Furries.

And recently Nadine O'Regan's show for giving a place to all things culture going on in Dublin an getting interviews with some of the absolute best authors/writers/interesting people out there.

Truly good times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Listening to Steve Conway on the breakfast show when I was getting the bus into college jumps out. The show after George Harrison died sticks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

lordgoat wrote: »
    A thread for people to say thanks etc.

Driving generally really late at night to or from my girlfriend at the times house and texting in Derek on the lounge/Album Archive and having the craic. There's something about the quietness of dark, car headlight brightened-roads and good music that always seemed to be on that made that trek enjoyable.

(I loved a particular chat we had about Blues Run the Game and hearing the crazy story of Jackson C Frank.)

Cheers for all the texts boss! Was always good to hear from ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sinister Pete in the morning was fantastic, and Charlotte, Michelle and Ritchie McC also restored my faith in morning radio.

The big memory though?
    That can be seen from my music collection.
    Prior to phantom, I was fairly mainstream to what I'd listen to.
    Through the fab talent of the DJs thru the years, I've been gifted with a great love for so many new and old artists. Friends and family have always asked me 'heard anything good recently?' As they knew my music taste was something different.
    Thank you to all the Phantom crew for daring to be different.
    You've made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was seeing a girl for a while, we were walking by the opposite side of Wexford St. from Whelans. She said, Phantom is based above there, proceeded to send a text, something along the lines of "We know where you are". After a second, someone threw their head out the window. We scarpered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭paulbok

A couple of memories stand out.

Two songs always remind me of the pirate days,

Ritchie Mc going mental playing 'lucy is Here' 2 times in a row.

All the festival/concert reports. EP won't be the same without the Phantom Van there.

Farewell Phantom and thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Feeding frenzy and Dayjob by blotooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

"Sunday Mornings, Coming Down" and "Stadium Rock" for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

RichieMc wrote: »

That's a great read Richie. Cheers for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Been the soundtrack to my daily life for about 16 years.

I remember listening when it was pirate station & I can remember religiously checking the frequency when it was off air before it got its license.

It has been always on in the background whenever I was near a radio.

Old walkmans on the bus on the way to work (now my car everyday), in the office, in the gaff, in the garden...christ knows what I'll listen to now.

The day MCA from the Beastie Boys died they played non stop Beastie Boys...I'll listened all evening.
    I spent the whole Christmas listening to the Phantom Icons & the year before that the Songs
    I spent dozens of Wednesday Nights/Thursday mornings in Phantasm in Whelans back in the late 90s early 2000s
    I'm taking stock of all that and realise Phantom is/was a major part of my daily life.

I'm gutted for the staff & DJs I hope they move on to greater things as their knowledge but above all passion for their chosen field is outstanding.

Cheers to all the staff & DJs for their hard work. This old indie kid is greatful for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

RichieMc wrote: »

Very informative and entertaining article. Thanks Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I remember working part time in Kilmainham in 96/97, and coming across Spectrum on the radio in the shop. It was class, never heard radio like it. I used to like the way they prided themselves on their cheapness, like picking competition winners from the 'Spectrum Plastic Bag'!

Unfortunately, the signal wasn't strong enough to get it at home, so I could only listen to it in work. I used to love work back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Innisfallen

I worked behind the scenes for the last 5 years, and pulled together a batch of photos, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I love Richie Ryan and always listened no matter what time of the day he was shifted to, but my favourite Phantom moments were Sunday mornings with Pearl, I was and still am up first in my house of a Sunday morning and this show was just sublime, hangover or not, used to just relish reading the sunday papers in the kitchen with the radio on before the rest of the gang surfaced. Was amazed it finished when it did, last year was it? But the writing was probably on the wall back then.

Its sad listening to the last shows of some of the presenters this week. Hope they all find somewhere to go. Wont' be tuning in tomorrow, much as I like John Caddell, Phantom is gone and TXFM won't be taking over in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I first heard of Phantom back in 1999/2000 from hanging around the central bank on Saturdays and going to that thing in the music centre.
    I gave it a shot and they were playing actual metal tunes! I never thought it would happen on Irish radio.

I used to love the show when Steve Conway (I think) would get demos from bands and open them on-air and start talking about the artwork and packaging, play the tune and then start discussing it. The tunes themselves were usually dire but it was just so different to everything else on radio that it was completely fascinating.

It was absolutely essential during my college years when it was on. Played savage tunes, and you could genuinely say it was one of the best music stations in the world based on its playlist. It was just standard-issue college alt stuff, you'd get quality alternative hip-hop tunes, industrial and genres you never knew existed. The guys working there seemed to genuinely care about the music they played.

The station fell to pieces when Richie Mc left the breakfast slot, they axed Pearl and Denis O'Brien took over.
    It was always a lot more mainstream when it went legit, but Jesus Christ the playlists were awful, esp in the mornings.
    I'm guessing Communicorp got a payoff to promote particular bands and forced it onto the DJs, but I really don't need to hear Kodaline seven times an hour, or at all really.

Anyway, I don't want to be too negative about it, but the station has always been great and it's a huge loss. Hopefully some good will come of it, maybe we'll end up with a new generation out there broadcasting in a shed.

To finish on a weird stalker note, I saw pictures of Richie McCormack for the first time on news articles recently and realised he's a guy I've seen knocking around the Blanch for years

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Read this earlier and realised he's from around my neck of the woods ("Richie from Clonsilla") http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/phantom-column-richie-1364836-Mar2014/
    I'm still listening here - only 4 mins left. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

I first heard Phantom in 2007. I was 14 and starting to really get into music. I remember flicking past certain national radio stations and eventually stumbling upon God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols. I ran into my kitchen and excitedly told my dad "Da, Sex Pistols are on the radio, that's deadly!". I left it on and listened to what I then discovered to be Phantom for the rest of the day. I rarely changed the frequency of that stereo since.

I'm 21 next month and can safely say I wouldnt have discovered a lot of music if it wasnt for Phantom. Every morning going off to school, then college, then work.. I would tune in to the various morning shows. Ray McGowan's Metal Notes show on Monday nights was definitely the only place I would ever hear some of my favourites. But every show Phantom had offered me something great. I used to keep a sticky note beside the radio to jot down new bands or songs I heard, so that I could look them up again later.
    Granted, I wasn't aware of Phantom as long as some people, but I will always associate it with my teenage years, growing up and discovering music.

Cheers Phantom, for the tunes, the signed CDs, the gig tickets, the Phantom merch.. but most importantly the influence you've had on my music taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I came across these guys by pure chance in 2011 when i got my first car, each morning i'd wake up to pure morning and it started from there, each journey i've had has always had phantom blasting out, they actually had interesting people talking about interesting things not this crap of "omg beyonce is a woman omgggg like dis if you like breathe and stuff" sly dig at spin and the like :pac:

but anyways, you guys were heros and because of that station I've a greater appreciation of all kinds of music so thank you for eveything :)

In the words of fr ted "ah jaysis ted! they always take the good ones!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I guy about four years told me about the station and I gave it a go. Hooked. Liked the music, the djs, the laugh, the banter.

Had the radio on at work and had fights if anyone dard to change the dial into some other crap chart.

But at least I have a little phantom wagon squeeze thingy that I stole off Claire Beck in the Workmans some months ago :D

What now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Beastie Girl

Anyone remember:

Dave the Headbanger at the Phantasm Thursdays in Whelans
    Donal - Paul Field (now RR)'s "lovely" assistant? I know RR & Donal had a fallout but heard nothing since.

Having a hilarious Monday working from home (cough) in England - I left Dublin in 2006 - listening to Wilt, Brando, Throat (Sonny's Hired Killer!!!), Sack, Fixed Stars, Bawl, so, so many others.

Makes me feel 19 again. What a wake I'm having for Phantom!! Would be a great idea if someone ex-Phantom could create a Spotify playlist - would that be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

Pearl's 'Sunday morning, coming down' & the Irish-language DJ on the 9-10 slot before her.

Never registered the names but always listened Sat and Sun afternoons.

I was never into the 'cult of DJ' as you can see from the lack of names above. But when they're gone, you really notice it...

Dubwat wrote: »
    Pearl's 'Sunday morning, coming down' & the Irish-language DJ on the 9-10 slot before her.

Never registered the names but always listened Sat and Sun afternoons.

I was never into the 'cult of DJ' as you can see from the lack of names above. But when they're gone, you really notice it...

Sinead Ni... great little show alright!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I used to do my homework and study for the leaving cert listening to phantom when it was still pirate.

Years later it was always my first choice radio station, even streaming it recently on my commute to work in the UK.

I also won a couple of CDs in a text in competition in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Anyone know of a place where old playlists for the station are archived?
    They only go as far as 2012 on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

What I wouldn't give for another episode of the Two Petes Talk Rubbish... Phantom's golden years.

1000 Helicopters by NPB
    Music Non Stop by Kent
    Laughter Lines by Sack
    Day Job by Blotooth
    7th October by Brando
    Maniacal Mechanical by Brando
    Open Arms by Wilt
    The Frames' entire output
    Cosmik Debris by Frank Zappa
    Cat Power's entire output (thanks to Pearl for that one)
    Song for Sharon by Joni Mitchell
    Laura Loves by Asterix

just a small smattering of the gems in my music collection that I have gained thanks to Fat Bum FM ;)

1000 Helicopters by NPB
    Music Non Stop by Kent
    Laughter Lines by Sack
    Day Job by Blotooth
    7th October by Bran'do
    Maniacal Mechanical by Bran'do
    Open Arms by Wilt
    The Frames' entire output
    Cosmik Debris by Frank Zappa
    Cat Power's entire output (thanks to Pearl for that one)
    Song for Sharon by Joni Mitchell
    Laura Loves by Asterix

just a small smattering of the gems in my music collection that I have gained thanks to Fat Bum FM ;)

'

great songs!

Another one that came into my head today and I think this is a great lost classic of Irish punk pop......

The Punk Rockers Ombudsman by the Keds.

If anybody at all has a link to that anywhere, I will pay you one meeeelion Irish Punts*

*Terms & Conditions apply ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

One of my memories is Jack Hyland playing "Glass Onion" by The Beatles on Saturday late afternoons during the pirate era, and probably the same during the two temporary licensed runs , except it would be slightly later.

I have great memories of listening to John Jettson early Saturday afternoons when Phantom was a pirate. He played The Marbles quite a bit. He was a great loss to the station when le left.

Both John and Jack played a great song from David Gray - Late Night Radio. This was a pre-White Ladder song from the album "Sell Sell Sell".

Another name I remember very well from the pirate era is Al Graham. He went right back to Coast FM with Simon Maher and others. The last year or so that I heard him on Phantom, he had a classic rock show. It would have been closer to Radio Nova musically than John Caddell's Powerhouse.

There was The Anorak Hour hosted by Ger Rowe throughout its pirate era, its temporary license runs ("Media Beacon") and the early days of the full license. Fantastically informative show.

One of my personal favourite music shows from the licensed era was the nighttime show Bedrock, hosted by John Caddell. This show included the first references to "The Trip to Kip".

I used to enjoy listening to Sinister Pete hosting Pure Morning on weekdays. Anyone remember his speaking clock?

I also have some good memories of The Album Archive (depending on the album!) - first presented by John and then by Derek Byrne.

I also remember around 2007 and 2008 one Cecil Nolan recreating the music of the Grove Disco (legendary northside rock disco) after Christmas.

Advertisement