Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt

Options
  • 14-02-2019 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone I have a 2012 nissan juke 1.5dci it's currently on 116km just curious as to when I should get the timing belt done or would it hold out for another while im planing on trading it in at june? From inspecting it the belt looks fine from the timing belt cover no rips cracks or anything but I now they can give anytime do anyone know the correct interval thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Jayjay2424 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I have a 2012 nissan juke 1.5dci it's currently on 116km just curious as to when I should get the timing belt done or would it hold out for another while im planing on trading it in at june? From inspecting it the belt looks fine from the timing belt cover no rips cracks or anything but I now they can give anytime do anyone know the correct interval thanks

You are over due!!! Replace immediately!!!
    Timing belt and pulleys ★See NOTE (2)Replace every 90,000km or 48 months

Note 2
    (2) The replacement interval for the timing belt is the maximum lifespan, which should not be exceeded. Replace the timing belt if it comes into contact with fuel. Obtain customer authorisation to replace the damaged part

EDIT: Also replace the drive belt, because it have the same interval.

EDIT2: Do not replace only the belt(s), replace all the pulleys too. Typical mistake what local mechanics does, they do not replace the pulleys. Yes it cost bit more money but 100% worth it.

EDIT3: Because so many seller selling the timing belt kit including water pump, think about to take a kit and replace the water pump too. There must be some kind of reason why they offer it as kit. Not very good water pumps can be the reason... Just think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How did you manage to see the timing belt without removing the covers and all surrounding functions

Are you confusing a Timing belt with the serpentine belt perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Jayjay2424

w211 wrote: »
    You are over due!!! Replace immediately!!!
    Timing belt and pulleys ★See NOTE (2)Replace every 90,000km or 48 months

Note 2
    (2) The replacement interval for the timing belt is the maximum lifespan, which should not be exceeded. Replace the timing belt if it comes into contact with fuel. Obtain customer authorisation to replace the damaged part

EDIT: Also replace the drive belt, because it have the same interval.

EDIT2: Do not replace only the belt(s), replace all the pulleys too. Typical mistake what local mechanics does, they do not replace the pulleys. Yes it cost bit more money but 100% worth it.

EDIT3: Because so many seller selling the timing belt kit including water pump, think about to take a kit and replace the water pump too. There must be some kind of reason why they offer it as kit. Not very good water pumps can be the reason... Just think about that.
    So you reckon it should be done immediately

listermint wrote: »
    How did you manage to see the timing belt without removing the covers and all surrounding functions

Are you confusing a Timing belt with the serpentine belt perhaps

No the timing belt you can see it when pull the cover back when it's running cam see the whole belt assembly it's self but you can see the belt turning it's looks in good nick but I know it can snap any time .

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

What's the story with a 'long life' belt my vw book says 210,000km is when it's due

• Advertisement

What's the story with a 'long life' belt my vw book says 210,000km is when it's due

As far as I know the 1.5dci engine don't have that kind of belt

Never ever trust the long life or the life time. Yes it last longer than regular one but not 3-4 times longer. I really do not understand the Irish car owners who goes mad if I say that. This is not something like all mechanics are against the car owners and like earn more money. It is the experience!!! Go ahead and risk to use 210 000 km, your money

Never ever trust the long life or the life time. Yes it last longer than regular one but not 3-4 times longer. I really do not understand the Irish car owners who goes mad if I say that. This is not something like all mechanics are against the car owners and like earn more money. It is the experience!!! Go ahead and risk to use 210 000 km, your money

I have no problem getting it done but im just wondering am I to early or do I need it done right away some people with qashqai said they didnt get there's done until 150km others said nearly 200km I know diffrent cars need it done earlier and later just trying to figure jukes belt out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have no problem getting it done but im just wondering am I to early or do I need it done right away some people with qashqai said they didnt get there's done until 150km others said nearly 200km I know diffrent cars need it done earlier and later just trying to figure jukes belt out
    Your car have max 90 000km or 4 years. Your car have 3 years over!
    I prefer to do everything earlier. Example on your case about 75 000km or 3 years. Please do not start the conspiracy like mechanics likes earn a big money and these days timing belts must last the life time. Yes these last the life time and it can be only 100 000km. Yes the local mechanics charge the big money but on many cases the job are hard too. Need to remove too much not related stuff to get the access. These days the spark plug replacement can takes several hours!!!! Insane? You can to do it DIY and save a money. It is not hard and on many cases you can find the video on youtube how to do.

• Advertisement

Your car have max 90 000km or 4 years. Your car have 3 years over!
    I prefer to do everything earlier. Example on your case about 75 000km or 3 years. Please do not start the conspiracy like mechanics likes earn a big money and these days timing belts must last the life time. Yes these last the life time and it can be only 100 000km. Yes the local mechanics charge the big money but on many cases the job are hard too. Need to remove too much not related stuff to get the access. These days the spark plug replacement can takes several hours!!!! Insane? You can to do it DIY and save a money. It is not hard and on many cases you can find the video on youtube how to do.

I better get it changed so I don't even know if it has been changed no notes or anything says it has been changed but I wouldn't take the risk letting it go cause who ever had it before me might not have done the belt could be catastrophic then if it brakes

Correct, better safe than sorry.

I managed to get through to main nissan dealers over the phone here in Ireland and I phoned 2 diffrent dealers 1 of them said 150km it need she changed or every 6 years other dealer said 170km or every 6 years surely it don't last that long I always thought every belt was about 60k mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Our service department recommends 160k or every 6 years and at a cost of €650

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

I managed to get through to main nissan dealers over the phone here in Ireland and I phoned 2 diffrent dealers 1 of them said 150km it need she changed or every 6 years other dealer said 170km or every 6 years surely it don't last that long I always thought every belt was about 60k mark
    Id say change it for the time .
    Best case is you are hitting the 6 years age now .
    Its not too expensive.
    Timingbelts.ie are quoting 320 or 340 for the job

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Our service department recommends 160k or every 6 years and at a cost of €650

That seems like alot for such a small engine . Although I have looked on donedeal and there's alot on there past 150km milage and belt is not done yet but God only knows what condition it could be in could snap any day . My brothers automatic renault clio had 88 thousand miles on it and never had a belt done and it was 2004 he only sold it recently and never had a problem with the belt strange with that age and milage for the belt to last

9935452 wrote: »
    Id say change it for the time .
    Best case is you are hitting the 6 years age now .
    Its not too expensive.
    Timingbelts.ie are quoting 320 or 340 for the job

Ya i was thinking holding off until June cause I am trading it in but then im thinking if it snaps couple of thousand gone fit for scrap if belt brakes for sake of changing it for the sake of about 300 to 400 it could be horrible and be 3000 to 4000 worth of damage

That seems like alot for such a small engine . Although I have looked on donedeal and there's alot on there past 150km milage and belt is not done yet but God only knows what condition it could be in could snap any day . My brothers automatic renault clio had 88 thousand miles on it and never had a belt done and it was 2004 he only sold it recently and never had a problem with the belt strange with that age and milage for the belt to last

To be honest I can't say I've seen one to snap

EPAndlee wrote: »
    To be honest I can't say I've seen one to snap

On those engines or in general.. I have only ever seen 1 belt snaps and it was a old guy lived by me he had the car from new and only last year the belt snapped he never changed it and the car was 2005 renault Megane 122 thousand miles was on it before belt snapped and was never changed he didnt care about the car he was just usin it till it died was going to replace it then but such a long time to get out of the belt it would make you wonder do it really need to be changed at the milage they say it needs to be . I have no problem getting it done if I have to better than the car been complety destroyed.

On those engines or in general.. I have only ever seen 1 belt snaps and it was a old guy lived by me he had the car from new and only last year the belt snapped he never changed it and the car was 2005 renault Megane 122 thousand miles was on it before belt snapped and was never changed he didnt care about the car he was just usin it till it died was going to replace it then but such a long time to get out of the belt it would make you wonder do it really need to be changed at the milage they say it needs to be . I have no problem getting it done if I have to better than the car been complety destroyed.

On those engines. Yours is onto 7 years so it's done to be changed

• Advertisement

Not only recommended mileage the time factor too, whichever comes first. Are they really so crazy and drive until the wheels falls off? This is really stupid. The timing belt kit for your car including idler pulley and water pump cost over 100EUR. After the replacing you have easy up to 90 000km trouble free (at least these parts). Only OEM parts last that mileage. If you replace and select the cheapest kit (I find 90eur including 2 years warranty for parts) then it last max 60k. The OEM cost the kit only almost 400eur.

EDIT: There are other factors too what can cause the timing belt goes bad. The oil leak are the main problem. Also depends by load. If you haul heavy stuff or driving hard, you loose 40% the timing belt life cycle.

Advertisement