Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my NCT now technically invalid?

Options
  • 14-02-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hello,

I have an NCT - expires Sept 2019. Yesterday the driver window stopped working. It's stuck in the closed position. (Happened last year and I got it repaired before the NCT). This is a fail in the NCT.

So if I was stopped could a Guard tell me that technically I don't now have a valid NCT?

I'll be getting it repaired but not for another 10 days or so.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

No

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

If you have a valid NCT cert, the guards cannot say you don't. Cars usually develop faults over time. The window fault won't kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

You are clear until Sept 2019

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

donnyvegas wrote: »
    If you have a valid NCT cert, the guards cannot say you don't. Cars usually develop faults over time. The window fault won't kill anyone.

I don't know. It's probably as dangerous as having indicators that aren't a dark enough orange! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Faults that develop while the current NCT cert are valid don't invalidate your NCT. They can prevent you from driving though.

In RSA Layman's English:
    Using vehicle (car) without valid test certificate (NCT) 3 5

Driving vehicle before remedying dangerous defect m* 3 Court Fine
    Driving dangerously defective vehicle m* 5 Court Fine

No NCT is a minor offence. Dangerous vehicle and you're up in court, no FCPN offer. To be dangerous in your case I'd say the window would have to be out as well as your right directional indicator so that you had no way to signal intent. Then a member could take that view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

A right nuisance if you have to use parking ticket dispenser, toll booths etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your NCT is fine. I wouldn't worry. What car is it? Do you know what the fault is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

donnyvegas wrote: »

I disagree - If he drives into the sea or river he won’t be able to escape

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

Your NCT is fine. I wouldn't worry. What car is it? Do you know what the fault is?

It's a Saab 93 2016. Going very well but that's twice the window has gone since last summer. Power going to it (as the interior lights dim when I push the button).

The mechanic I use (a Saab guy) fixed it last year - it was the motor that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well it's not a 2016 Saab 93 anyway for multiple reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

mickdw wrote: »
    Well it's not a 2016 Saab 93 anyway for multiple reasons

Sorry - 2006 Saab 93.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

begbysback wrote: »

For anyone in this situation, Saab or otherwise, remove your head restraints and bash the window with the metal mounting pins. And don't be driving into the sea etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For anyone in this situation, Saab or otherwise, remove your head restraints and bash the window with the metal mounting pins. And don't be driving into the sea etc.

I've checked a few cars and you'd be doing well to break the glass with the head restraints and none of the owners manuals mentioned this safety feature. It's like the hose on the fuel gauge supposedly showing which side is the filler, if doesn't.

Better off buying a seat belt cutter and window breaking tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I just phoned 999 and asked them how much water was left in my windscreen washer bottle.

Useless cnuts hadn't a clue.

They hung up before I could ask them how much thread was left on my tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

This is like something you'd read in the viz.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yet Ford or Audi don't mention it in their owners manuals. You'd think if it was a design feature they'd mention it somewhere in there owners manual and not have people finding obscure websites to find out a life saving bit of information.

I can find a website that says we never landed on the moon, does that make all the moon rocks and the mirror placed there fake!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

paulpd wrote: »
    Hello,

I have an NCT - expires Sept 2019. Yesterday the driver window stopped working. It's stuck in the closed position. (Happened last year and I got it repaired before the NCT). This is a fail in the NCT.

So if I was stopped could a Guard tell me that technically I don't now have a valid NCT?

No, your NCT certificate is valid till the date. However your car is not roadworthy any can be towed away at a discretion of any Guarda.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yet Ford or Audi don't mention it in their owners manuals. You'd think if it was a design feature they'd mention it somewhere in there owners manual and not have people finding obscure websites to find out a life saving bit of information.

I can find a website that says we never landed on the moon, does that make all the moon rocks and the mirror placed there fake!

It's not a design feature, the headrest can be used to break the window, but it's not a feature. If it was a designed feature the OEM would be opening themselves up to all sorts of legal issues if the headrest doesn't detach easily etc.

As to the original question, the NCT just takes a snapshot on the day, so is valid for the year regardless.

However, the driver is still responsible for ensuring the car is roadworthy, not the NCT. You can have an unroadworthy car and still have a valid NCT, and the Garda could pull you up on it if they were inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

begbysback wrote: »

You'll have a hard time rolling down electric windows if the car is submerging in water.

Pure fake news. In one of my cars, you have to tilt the seat forwards or back to be able to get enough clearance to get the headrests off. That'd be great fun in an emergency situation. I used to spend a fair bit of time near water (beaches, slipways, piers) so I always have an escape hammer to hand. I certainly wouldn't be relying on messing about with headrests, even if it was a legitimate designated safety feature (which it's not: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/car-headrests-emergency-escape/).
    Cerco wrote: »
    A right nuisance if you have to use parking ticket dispenser, toll booths etc.

Did that with a stuck window for 3 months once. Not fun!

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's like the hose on the fuel gauge supposedly showing which side is the filler, if doesn't.

There is generally an arrow there to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Still better than my experience. Toyota Corolla at the time. Window wouldn’t close, kept slipping down. Only for a few days but bloody freezing when driving. Dealer quoted for full window and motor replacement, local mechanic said it only needed a bit of welding, which is what it got. Never happened again after that.

Advertisement