Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http://www.ipconfig.ie site review please :)

Options
  • 28-07-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

Could you take a look at www.ipconfig.ie for me and let me know your thoughts?

I've had this simple tool for awhile but have only recently given it a makeover.. It's just a quick way of finding out which ISP you're currently using without having to copy/paste the IP Address into RIPE.

I'm a field engineer so I really developed for myself but decided to share. From Google Analytics I can see it gets a decent amount of traffic but what do you web layout gurus think?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have a look at http://www.whatismyip.com/ for comparison with the competition. http://www.whatismyip.com/ip-tools/ip-address-lookup/ compares to your offering but has a bit more info.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

looks good. Just one thing.. There is a slight bug showing the ISP in smaller font on the left with a number 6 beside it under Twitter and Facebook icons.
    264823.png

also there's no privacy policy or cookie notice as you are using Google Analytics. I looked at the source code and you've some links to pages aren't actually showing (eg privacy policy, contact and terms and conditions)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sgealbhain

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Tricky D Yes true! I'd like to include some of those features without all the blinging adverts :)

@MR G The reason for the small font ISP showing too far to the left is because that ISP is scoring a low ranking in the database at the moment. What browser are you using? The slider is supposed to show the % of overall visits by people from certain ISP. It should look like this:

ipconfig.jpg

sgealbhain wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Tricky D Yes true! I'd like to include some of those features without all the blinging adverts :)

@MR G The reason for the small font ISP showing too far to the left is because that ISP is scoring a low ranking in the database at the moment. What browser are you using? The slider is supposed to show the % of overall visits by people from certain ISP. It should look like this:

ipconfig.jpg

Google Chrome

• Advertisement

Interesting! I'll have to check that out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jackojc

How do you find the users ISP?

Jackojc wrote: »
    How do you find the users ISP?

Its a function to read from the RIPE database :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Copy to Clipboard might be a nice little touch, I haven't seen it on any other sites, and it's something 99% of visitors will want to do.

cormee wrote: »
    Copy to Clipboard might be a nice little touch, I haven't seen it on any other sites, and it's something 99% of visitors will want to do.

You're definitely right Cormee! It's coming soon :)

It was on the old site: http://www.ipconfig.ie/oldbrowser.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

sgealbhain wrote: »
    You're definitely right Cormee! It's coming soon :)

It was on the old site: http://www.ipconfig.ie/oldbrowser.php

Great minds, and all that! I don't see it on the old site though, it only seems to select the text on focus.

Hey guys,

Several years later I've added some new features! There's now a feature to type a more accurate description of an Internet Service Provider.

At the moment the site first does a whois query with RIPE to look for the 'desc' attribute to predict the ISP name.. A lot of the time the description is wrong though so I have a condition in the code that if x people type a description which is the same as others, the site will display that description over the RIPE query.

If people type different descriptions it will take the max amount of same descriptions against the total and give the accuracy.

Also a new feature to display the most seen ISP in last 24 hours.

Still some bugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

How about a drop down list of ISPs

Well I haven't posted on this thread in years! Just wanted to let people know the site is now integrated with ARIN so it works with American IP Address lookups! Have a good evening :D

Advertisement