Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fed up of hearing about Shane Lowry

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Absolutely sick of hearing about this prick now too. Face all over the front pages again today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Absolutely sick of hearing about this prick now too. Face all over the front pages again today.

How is he a prick? Ye prick

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Fish n chips for supper again?

Listening to end of Miriam O'Callaghan. Panel is talking about Tusla authority and the Hide & Seek Creche.
    ....Cue Miriam announces major change of topic..............

..........lo & behold more kind words around Shane Lowry...............

Crunching my gears..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Personally I'm tired of it, but I'm not a golf person and wouldn't know the lad from the man on the moon.

But his win has lifted the country and that's always a good thing, and if he inspires other's to pick up some golf sticks and get off their asses for a bit of exercise well that's brilliant.

But me and golf, I couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

I was listening to the 6 o'clock news on Newstalk last Monday and thought that the main headline was a bit strange. "Locals in Clara insist that Shane Lowry won't let Open Championship win go to his head."

Because that's the main thing about the whole thing, it's great winning one of the major prizes in golf but don't go around thinking that you are somebody. We like our sportspeople and celebrities to be successful, but not so successful that they become pleased with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Given the hours and hours of wasted air time given to natuonal embarressments such as Conor McGregor or that insufferable, boring cow Katie Taylor I cant believe people are taking issue with Shane Lowry. Funnily enough the only people who seem to be annoyed by it are the ones who know absolutely nothing about the sport of Golf and therefore can’t grasp just how significant what he has achieved is.

Lowry won the most famous and arguably the most difficult tournament in the sport of golf. Another reason there has been such a reaction to what he has done is the fact that he is a normal fella. He’s 32, has a young family and has fought back from some personal issues over the last 18 months or so. He’s very relatable for most people across Ireland and he’s a genuinely nice fella. Look how much class and dignity he has and the way he has carried himself over the last few days has been brilliant. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Personally I'm tired of it, but I'm not a golf person and wouldn't know the lad from the man on the moon.

But his win has lifted the country and that's always a good thing, and if he inspires other's to pick up some golf sticks and get off their asses for a bit of exercise well that's brilliant.

But me and golf, I couldn't give a toss.

Tiger would have brought the game from the fat man to the fit man. Same as Ronnie O'Sullivan in the snooker. There is still a few sports where fitness is still lacking mainly golf, cricket and baseball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Motivator wrote: »
    He’s very relatable for most people across Ireland and he’s a genuinely nice fella. Look how much class and dignity he has and the way he has carried himself over the last few days has been brilliant. Good luck to him.

I could say the same about Katie Taylor

• Advertisement

Given the hours and hours of wasted air time given to natuonal embarressments such as Conor McGregor or that insufferable, boring cow Katie Taylor I cant believe people are taking issue with Shane Lowry. Funnily enough the only people who seem to be annoyed by it are the ones who know absolutely nothing about the sport of Golf and therefore can’t grasp just how significant what he has achieved is.

Lowry won the most famous and arguably the most difficult tournament in the sport of golf. Another reason there has been such a reaction to what he has done is the fact that he is a normal fella. He’s 32, has a young family and has fought back from some personal issues over the last 18 months or so. He’s very relatable for most people across Ireland and he’s a genuinely nice fella. Look how much class and dignity he has and the way he has carried himself over the last few days has been brilliant. Good luck to him.

How is it the most difficult tournament? The weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

YFlyer wrote: »
    How is it the most difficult tournament? The weather?

It's contested on a links course, which has its own challenges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_(golf)

Greyfox wrote: »
    I could say the same about Katie Taylor

Give me a break. She’s a miserable cow with as much personality as a wet towel. Half the country fawning over her, it’s an embarrassment. Instead of media coverage they should give her a good wash, she looks like she could do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

He was at Croke Park today. No doubt he will show up in Croker tomorrow lol. Milking it...if the late late was on he would also have appeared on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The most difficult tournament in golf is the US open, the rest of them are set up to be birdie fests.

I don't think anyone is taking issue with Lowry himself, just the disproportionate amount of coverage his win seems to have generated. Even he himself seems to be taken aback by it.

But the only reason it was such a major story was because it's the summer and there's nothing else happening.

Give me a break. She’s a miserable cow with as much personality as a wet towel. Half the country fawning over her, it’s an embarrassment. Instead of media coverage they should give her a good wash, she looks like she could do with it.

Nonsense, if you can say that I can say golf is boring and I'm sick of hearing about Shane. Also that's not how you speak about one of Ireland's best sporting hero's, show some respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Links is the home of golf. One doesn't have to denegrate other sports people, to praise Lowry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kneemos wrote: »
    It's the ****ing endless deification of himself.

Ah I didn't realise he had shat himself...explains the dark trousers though I suppose.

Nonsense, if you can say that I can say golf is boring and I'm sick of hearing about Shane. Also that's not how you speak about one of Ireland's best sporting hero's, show some respect

That’s just an embarrassing comment from you, it really is. How on earth is she a sporting hero? I cringe when I hear that statement being bandied about.

Her “achievements” are no more graceful then sticking two ugly dogs in a cage and letting them at it for a few minutes.

That’s just an embarrassing comment from you, it really is. How on earth is she a sporting hero? I cringe when I hear that statement being bandied about.

Her “achievements” are no more graceful then sticking two ugly dogs in a cage and letting them at it for a few minutes.
    Nope, your completely wrong.
    She's the female lightweight world champion therefore she IS a sporting hero. Her personality is thankfully the opposite to McGreggor. Regardless of the competition it takes a huge amount of work and dedication to achieve what she did, most people are not willing to work that hard. Irish people should be proud when Irish people do well rather than slagging them off

She's the female lightweight world champion therefore she IS a sporting hero. Her personality is thankfully the opposite to McGreggor. Regardless of the competition it takes a huge amount of work and dedication to achieve what she did, most people are not willing to work that hard. Irish people should be proud when Irish people do well rather than slagging them off

Nobody appreciates actual sporting achievements by Irish people more than I do.

Harrington, Lowry, Sonia O’ Sullivan back in the day, Dan Martin or any of the lads Cycling etc. the list is endless but those are just a few off the top of my head. Also, the rugby team have been senasational over the last decade or so and I wouldn’t be a fan of rugby at all but I appreciate their achievements and what they do for sport in Ireland.

I point blank refuse to acknowledge McGregor or Taylor. To me, they don’t represent sport in this country. Both are pin up stars for an activity predominantly dominated, literally, by knackerś in this country. Some laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I remember when that knacker McGregor was being vaunted as a role model for young people. A coked up scumbag who used to kick people in the face for a living isn’t someone any kid should aspire to be. Lowry has more class in his eyebrows than McGregor and his entire entourage of pikeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nobody appreciates actual sporting achievements by Irish people more than I do.

Harrington, Lowry, Sonia O’ Sullivan back in the day, Dan Martin or any of the lads Cycling etc. the list is endless but those are just a few off the top of my head. Also, the rugby team have been senasational over the last decade or so and I wouldn’t be a fan of rugby at all but I appreciate their achievements and what they do for sport in Ireland.

I point blank refuse to acknowledge McGregor or Taylor. To me, they don’t represent sport in this country. Both are pin up stars for an activity predominantly dominated, literally, by knackerś in this country. Some laugh.
    Your posts are indeed some laugh. Dan Martin as an example of someone with more sporting success than Katie Taylor is priceless stuff. He won a monument and a couple of grand tour stage races, a Volta Catalunya win and that's it bar minor races. Whether you regard boxing or MMA as sports is irrelevant as they are, you're ignorance doesn't change that fact. Go watch the 'Katie' documentary and educate yourself on the sacrifice and work she's put into her career, if that doesn't open your eyes some then there's no helping you.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    He was at Croke Park today. No doubt he will show up in Croker tomorrow lol. Milking it...if the late late was on he would also have appeared on that

It is not even a week.

Your posts are indeed some laugh. Dan Martin as an example of someone with more sporting success than Katie Taylor is priceless stuff. He won a monument and a couple of grand tour stage races, a Volta Catalunya win and that's it bar minor races. Whether you regard boxing or MMA as sports is irrelevant as they are, you're ignorance doesn't change that fact. Go watch the 'Katie' documentary and educate yourself on the sacrifice and work she's put into her career, if that doesn't open your eyes some then there's no helping you.

Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s difficult to warm to Katie Taylor though. That thin smile and annoying voice are hard to get past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It’s difficult to warm to Katie Taylor though. That thin smile and annoying voice are hard to get past.

That may be true but she’s not a “national embarrassment” as another poster called her.

Nobody cares what you want to acknowledge. The fact is Katie represents the sport of female boxing in Ireland, that's not an opinion, thats a fact. If you don't think so you need to read up on what is and isn't a sport as your knowledge on sport appears to be lacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

I've no idea of the significance of the tournament he won but Jesus the coverage is a bit much.
    Local lad wins over a million quid playing a game. Well done.
    Ole ole ole. For him yeah but I don't understand where the hangers on are getting the enthusiasm from. Its a game for individuals.

Let's just say every golfer has at some point when out playing and about to take a putt has said to themselves "this to win the Open".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Classic.
    Wonderful, I see your argument is now fully backed up due to my predictive text error. Thanks for confirming you had no leg to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Jaysus lads! Have youse nothing better to do than take potshots at each other?

• Advertisement
Advertisement