Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I always wondered what would happened if 'white people' would get sick of this sort of thing.

Like really sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thread title not so daft, heard a reporter on the news tonight say, "2 men set foot on the moon, and it was all men who travelled to the moon".

Thought it was trying too hard to be PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Oh ffs.

Can't we celebrate anything nowadays without all this "woke" stuff?
    It sounds like you need to check your privilege Kermit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    meeeeh wrote: »
    As long as you believe in communism, don't step out of line, challenge authority...

That was also going on of course.
    But compared to the rest of the world, which would not be so democratic to our standards today, they made amazing improvements.

Grade A turd polishing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

On a related note, a few days ago I was looking to see if there was a release date for season 3 of Search Party. An article I found had a review of the previous seasons which said that the characters were all self obsessed as a result of their white privilege. An especially odd observation when neither the lead actor, Alia Shawcat, nor her character Dory Sief are white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Those twitters are shockingly racist and sexist, and both newspapers should be ashamed of themselves. People went to the moon. Other people down on earth built the stuff for them to do it, and other people in command centres helped them through it.
    And the writers of those articles cant see beyond the colour and sex of those involved. Leading edge in the technological marvel that the landings were, the USA is still so backward in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Where were the trans/non binary representatives in the moon landing? #YesEquality

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Those headlines are inaccurate. Buzz told me, in confidence, that he identifies as a black woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Identity politics, there to keep everyone bickering while the same old **** hoard all the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Second comes right after first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone been watching Chasing the Moon? Kennedy Admin wanted a black astronaut but although they found a man - Ed Dwight who fitted the bill in terms of his qualities Chuck Yeager, who was in charge of the pilot training programme turned out to be a racist ****wit so he got the bums rush and was eventually edged out of the final list of astronauts in 1965.
    For a similar story look at Men of Honour

1960's America. The space race was a frontline in the cold war. The risks were real. Two Saturn V's had engine problems and there was the whole Apollo 13 thing.

Like the apocryphal
    Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitriv uyda

it was a small step for a man, but the women might have needed a step-ladder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

No women on D-Day either, shocking lack of representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What utter and complete horseshït. Hitler was a white man as were the entire third reich, are they going to express the same sentiment in regard to them? No of course they’re not.

Some journalist wanker with little else to do drummed up a pathetic effortless article to beat a deadline and we end up with this nonsense.

I sincerely hope that in 20/30 years time people will look back on our generation with the same disdain we do of the snowflake generation and ask how the fück did people become so spineless as to alloy this constant pandering to everyone and anyone that expressed an opinion that wasn’t Main stream. It’s utter bull shīt and will be the ruination of mankind if allowed to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to send a team of women to the Moon next.

The men left a bit of a mess behind them that badly needs cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,533 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It’s utter bull shīt and will be the ruination of mankind if allowed to continue.

This.

All this stuff may seem harmless on first look but the reality is a generation is literally been dragged up that it seems to me, in general, are hopelessly unequipped to deal with the realities of the real world.

A generation of panzies that couldn't wire a plug or cook a meal or go 5 minutes without their phone or understand how to cope with rejection would make you dispair alright.

Not everyone of course but an increasingly sizable part of the population is falling in to this category. Hopeless.

When a real global emergency happens what are these people going to do?

Random but for example if a solar flare erupts from the sun and knocks out electricity for at least 10 years (which could happen any time, in the next 5 minutes, or 5 years....)... The point is an increasing chunk of the population are lacking the most basic skills our grandparents would have had for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From the Washington Post article -

More often, women were employed as secretaries. Before email, correspondence had to be typed by someone, and with multiple carbon copies.

“Everything was written as if in a foreign language,” says Barbara Higginbotham Ogle, a secretary and the 1,000th employee to be hired in 1966 for $5.44 an hour by Douglas Aircraft Co. in Florida. (It became McDonnell Douglas the following year). Her skills: typing at 71 cwpm (correct words per minute) and shorthand at 140 words a minute “It was a steep learning curve,” she says. “Typing orders for managers, we had to be perfect. No Wite-Out. When you were preparing for a launch, there was an endless amount of paper coming in.”

What an unfortunate double-barrel name :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Well I did learn one new fact from all the discussions around this topic today and that is that Buzz Aldrin was the first man to take a piss on the moon. I wonder if he held it in specially...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

sabat wrote: »
    Well I did learn one new fact from all the discussions around this topic today and that is that Buzz Aldrin was the first man to take a piss on the moon. I wonder if he held it in specially...

It’s not like they could stop along the way and let him out to take a piss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Ha, I thought they were parody tweets. The country seems to be slowly burning down around their ears over the last 10-15 years, but this is what US "news" media focus on.

I'd say NASA in 2019 have as much chance of replicating a project like that (let alone sending humans to Mars) as, well, Ireland has of putting a cis/trans man or woman into space!

Perhaps the media should be worrying about that evidence of decline instead of fretting over the gonads (edit: and skin melanin levels) of their space scientists and engineers.

It sure is burning down around us & some of us see & feel it.
    ..and I hate it. Last time I felt whole & happy was 4 months beautiful and sunny days in 2011 spent in Gowran & Thomastown. Being away from the US was like breathing after being held down underwater. No place is perfect & while plenty people could winge about but it felt like home. Never felt that before or since. Carlow is a great place as well but some chips by the river in Thomastown on a nice day is my idea of paradise. Focusing on the whiteness of the lunar program is beyond silly. Have a good Sunday all & enjoy the football, I'll be waiting anxiously for the AI Semi's next week. Up the Cat's!

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This whole "identity politics" shenanigans is just going way too far and I would agree with the sentiments expressed by a couple of posters that a disquieting proportion the younger generation in the West seem to be lacking basic life skills - like cooking for themselves, for instsnce (look at how food delivery outfits like JustEat and Deliveroo are absolutely booming) or, jump starting a car engine or changing a lightbulb.

Things were very different back in 1969 - but so what if it was only 12 white American men who walked on the Moon? It really doesn't take away from what is an an incredible achievement in human endeavour.

One day there will be men on the Moon again and women too, black, white, yellow, gay, etc and also on Mars - and this whole identity politics farce will hopefully be consigned to the dustbin of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Seamai wrote: »
    But American kids never got told any of that in school, my better have never heard on Yuri Gagarin and Valentina Tereshkova until he moved to Ireland.

I only started reading about it the other day as I was curious about when the first African American went into space and that led on to reading about the USSR space program.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This whole "identity politics" shenanigans is just going way too far and I would agree with the sentiments expressed by a couple of posters that a disquieting proportion the younger generation in the West seem to be lacking basic life skills - like cooking for themselves, for instsnce (look at how food delivery outfits like JustEat and Deliveroo are absolutely booming) or, jump starting a car engine or changing a lightbulb.

Things were very different back in 1969 - but so what if it was only 12 white American men who walked on the Moon? It really doesn't take away from what is an an incredible achievement in human endeavour.

One day there will be men on the Moon again and women too, black, white, yellow, gay, etc and also on Mars - and this whole identity politics farce will hopefully be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Who ever went around saying "what an achievement for white men"? What a load of horse**** - if they were black, female and gay it wouldn't matter a jot to me or anyone else. It's a great achievement for humanity.

It's only these journos bringing up this ****e.

On a side note wouldn't it be absolutely wonderful for this generation to have that same experience of looking up at the moon and thinking that there are human beings walking on that right now? I don't give a fcuk if they are gay, straight, black, brown, white, female....

I would love us to have the same experience as they did back then - I think it would be inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

People in the West really seem to strive to find problems.

Bored people living comfortable lives with too much free time on their hands, who take their liberties for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitriv uyda

Shur it was a white man that was IN the moon in the first place...

just watching the live stream, they have the flag up now less than an hour after they set foot on the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

No, we shouldn't be wary ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Didn’t three men die experimenting / preparing / testing equipment for the Moon Landings ?
    More Male Privilege .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

For the live if God, the blue eyed blonde haired one of course ;), what is wrong with those malcontents.
    They won't be happy until they do an Orwellian rewrite of history, maybe trump isn't as crazy as he seems.

Advertisement