Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being asked to check the time

Options
  • 20-07-2019 3:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

I'm talking about a situation where neither person has a watch. How to you feel when someone shouts from one room to another to ask you to look up at the clock to tell them the time?

I remember when I used to work in a factory, this lady would often come by and ask "what's the time?" because she wouldn't want to go and check herself. Now I was standing in such a place that I would only have to lean a bit in order to look through a gap in order to see the time, where as she would've had to walk around. I still didn't like it. It made me feel like I was just the ask time boy. Eventually I stuck it to her when she'd ask. I'd just say "I don't know, why don't you go check"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Isn't that what mobile phones are for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I will give you several million dollars for the movie rights to this gripping tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'm talking about a situation where neither person has a watch. How to you feel when someone shouts from one room to another to ask you to look up at the clock to tell them the time?

I remember when I used to work in a factory, this lady would often come by and ask "what's the time?" because she wouldn't want to go and check herself. Now I was standing in such a place that I would only have to lean a bit in order to look through a gap in order to see the time, where as she would've had to walk around. I still didn't like it. It made me feel like I was just the ask time boy. Eventually I stuck it to her when she'd ask. I'd just say "I don't know, why don't you go check"

Simple answer. Tell her that it's just coming up to 3. Even though it's actually 3:35. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

I know. It doesn't happen too often anymore.

But for example, in my case of being in a factory you can understand why I wouldn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Response: "bout half past"
    Other: Half past what?
    Response: That's right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Simple answer. Tell her that it's just coming up to 3. Even though it's actually 3:35. :D
    That would work quite well, but only if I already had a good idea of the actual time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Just say "yeah - my arse, your face"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you ask someone who you have seen just check the time what time it is? most ly they will not remember

Just say "yeah - my arse, your face"

Isn't that when someone is looking for a match?

That would work quite well, but only if I already had a good idea of the actual time.

You don't actually need to know the right time... wing it. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The standard reply is: ten to

Originally, yes. But you can adapt it as an answer for a number of different questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Harmless. Do so automatically without real thought. To do otherwise might waste conscious time. Of course, if a person does this repetitively, it would be a bother. Reminds me of the "Are we there yet?" cliche.

Different variation... Once-upon-a-time I was at a bus stop without mobile and my watch battery had just failed. There was no clock within sight. I politely asked someone for the time, and they looked at me with disdain, stepped a few paces away, as if I was going to ask them for money next.

Originally, yes. But you can adapt it as an answer for a number of different questions.

Ah right... so if you're stopped at a checkpoint and the Garda asks for your licence. That kind of scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

If only you'd stayed, by now you would have been a time lord, with your multi-coloured knitted scarf, big hat and light rain coat. And a big mop of curly hair on ye. With your K9 and some pretty young one hanging on your every word, getting into phone boxes with you. Some people, honestly, don't know they're born!

Ah right... so if you're stopped at a checkpoint and the Garda asks for your licence. That kind of scenario?

Wouldn't be a wise move. The Gardai don't like smart answers.

Better to use it as a stock response to annoying questions like "do you have a match / a light / the time / change for a hostel" etc.

"What time is it?" *looks at wrist* "Five hairs past my arm"

OP, it's a miracle you manage to get through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OP just listen to the radio all the time. They often say the time on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Nah that's what Alexa is for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If I need to know the time, I just post on Boards and check the time on the post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Humphrey Menton

yabadabado wrote: »
    The standard reply is: ten to

I tend to go with 'Half'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Can't you just press the "sky" button or what ever TV system you have to check time? Or look at your iPod, Desktop or Laptop? I mean we still have clocks but nobody has checked the actual time on them in about 20 years, there more to brighten up the rooms that have to much blood on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Candie wrote: »
    "What time is it?" *looks at wrist* "Five hairs past my arm"

OP, it's a miracle you manage to get through the day.

It’s “time” you got a watch!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

OP. You need to get some help around social interactions. It will make things easier.

All the OP's difficult scenarios seem to involve women. Does it only grate when a woman asks you a favor/for the time/to pick up milk/wishes you well in an interview?

You think far too much about minor social interactions. Sometimes it's not about putting you in your place and just about finding out what time it is from the person nearest the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

"Do you have the right time on you there?"

I'm unlikely to be walking around with the wrong time ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Just say:: it's 2 hairs past a freckle..and laugh like a crazy man 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Tell them its Hammer Time (running joke with me and 2 grandkids)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cool story Time Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Half past kiss my arse.

Advertisement