Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

possible Goshawk?

• 22-09-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hey guys. I was up in Monaghan shooting for a farmer yesterday evening. I saw what I thought was a Sparrowhawk pass over me but it just looked too big the Swallows mobbing it were dwarfed by it. It had a very pale underside and grey coloured upper. It was 100% an Accipitor . It was more it's slowish almost laboured flight pattern that didn't look at all right for Sparrowhawk. No visible signs of jesses or that from it's talons. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Unusual for a Goshawk to be in the open as they prefer woodland. They also fly fairly fast. You were in the right area (Monaghan) for Hen Harriers though and the flight style fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Definitely not hen harrier it was definitely a large Accipitor. The area was fairly wooded with bigger forest surrounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

buzzard ?

Definitely not a buzzard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

didn't think we had goshawks in ireland ?

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »

They are rare here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some big female spars could be mistaken for Goshawks - especially males. The only Gos I'm any way certain I've seen was one a few years ago just outside Blessington. It was the size of buzzard but very much a hawk!! Local gameclub member I'm friendly with also reckoned a handful wintered the last few years in some of the larger woods in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

We have goshawks in Ireland... no CONFIRMED breeding sites... but they're here, and displaying birds are recorded regularly, just nobody's confirmed nesting or fledged young... yet.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^

how did they get here? flew over the irish sea or introduced ?

^^^^^^^^^^^

how did they get here? flew over the irish sea or introduced ?

The birds currently here, or recorded in the past years, are thought to be relics from post Norman falconry; as the population recorded from 3000+bc went extinct following the deforestation that followed the last post-glaciation and the clearance of land by the fist human inhabitants of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

..thought to be relics from post Norman falconry
    Would they not have gone extinct again though, since then? Big deforestation 200 years ago and lots of gamekeepers.

The modern UK population is thought to have become established from a mixture of escaped falconers birds and Scandinavian migrants.

All the medium sized birds of prey seem to be doing pretty well in Ireland these last few years. I reckon its due to to less poison being around.

Anything airborne, whether birds or seeds, is going to keep popping up sporadically in new habitats. But whether they stay and thrive there is another matter.

The bird I saw that night was , I'm almost certain not a spar. The mere sight of it sent two full grown mallards bolt into the water. I'd be very familiar with Sparrowhawks and this bird flew nothing like one. It also had very visible white vent covering feathers. So I dunno! Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well hopefully if it is a Goshawk, it will stick around and you might get to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Qzak2017

Hey, where in Monaghan (roughly, the nearest village would do fine) did you see the bird? I only ask as I bird the area regularly. In fact, only earlier this year myself and some friends saw a pair of Goshawks displaying in Monaghan, would be nice to see if it was the same area or if it was a totally different bird.

Qzak2017 wrote:
    Hey, where in Monaghan (roughly, the nearest village would do fine) did you see the bird? I only ask as I bird the area regularly. In fact, only earlier this year myself and some friends saw a pair of Goshawks displaying in Monaghan, would be nice to see if it was the same area or if it was a totally different bird.

Roughly around crossmagen. I'm sorry but it was a gos I'm not going to mention any specific area!

cd07 wrote:
    Roughly around crossmagen. I'm sorry but it was a gos I'm not going to mention any specific area!

Crossmaglen

cd07 wrote: »

Totally understandable but is that not County Armagh? A totally different area to where we saw our pair, a good 20 mile away! Good stuff, nice to think there are a few in the county!

Well u did say a rough location!! It was monaghan though!

haha, I did your right! good stuff, a great bird for Monaghan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its a female buzzard what you saw OP

female buzzards and goshawks look alike from a distance

(read it in a RSPB book)

• Advertisement

No as I say I see buzzards every day of the week and am extremely familiar with them. This bird was 100% an Accipiter without question. The only reason I'm thinking it was a goshawk was the size of the bird .

fryup wrote: »
    its a female buzzard what you saw OP

female buzzards and goshawks look alike from a distance

(read it in a RSPB book)

Unless it's the extremely rare in Ireland light form a female buzzard is not at all like a goshawk.

Unless it's the extremely rare in Ireland light form a female buzzard is not at all like a goshawk.

My thoughts exactly! I'm very familiar with both buzzards and Sparrowhawks and this bird was definitely not a buzzard

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

cd07 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly! I'm very familiar with both buzzards and Sparrowhawks and this bird was definitely not a buzzard

Any more sightings.. i have seen a large female Spar in flight, flap falp glide flap falp glide type of flight like all true hawks it was being mobed by 2 magpies she seemed to be double there size very rare for a spare to be any bigger than a magpie! Got me thinking was it a Gos i seen now. My sighting was in the newcastle direction of kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Stigura

We have goshawks in Ireland... no CONFIRMED breeding sites... but they're here, and displaying birds are recorded regularly, just nobody's confirmed nesting or fledged young... yet.

*Cough!* ;)

They most certainly have bred successfully. I was with some observers monitoring sights three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

They most certainly have bred successfully. I was with some observers monitoring sights three years ago.

Thats ace !! Great to hear, they are blistering Hunters

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: I'm going to close this thread as its two years old, but not before I get in a plug for the Irish Rare Breeding Birds Panel - if anyone has seen any suggestions of Goshawk breeding please do submit the record via the link below. Obviously, all records will be treated as sensitive and locations won't be disclosed etc.

http://irbbp.org/submitting-your-record/

(...as is probably obvious, I'm helping the IRBBP collate records of rare and scarce breeding species this year!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement