Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo 11 Astronaut is the grandson of a farmer from Cork

Options
2»

Comments

Well Dunmanway is very close to Beal na Blath.

In all fairness, it’s Cork, so of course they’re all related.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Irish get everywhere don't they,

Rumour was that he was already there when they got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Irish get everywhere don't they,

Rumour was that he was already there when they got there.

Supposedly he gave a tricolour to Armstrong and Buzz to plant on the Moon. Don’t know how true.

One things for sure, Collins took one of the most famous photos of all time here.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/michael-collins-picture-1969/

The only human alive or dead that wasn’t in the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JayZeus wrote: »
    Not a cheat who wears spandex for a living .

Was just wondering if they were related. I didn't even make the connection between the cycling shorts and the nappy in the space suit until you pointed it out. :eek:

tuxy wrote: »
    Was just wondering if they were related. I didn't even make the connection between the cycling shorts and the nappy in the space suit until you pointed it out. :eek:

Yeah, but only one of them has real balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JayZeus wrote: »
    Yeah, but only one of them has real balls.

Very true, Lance lost one of his to cancer. So he has one real ball, I wonder if he got a prosthetic........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One things for sure, Collins took one of the most famous photos of all time here.

Yay, I'm in that picture. I was a wee babby, but I'm in it. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Every Bigfoot and Yeti that ever existed are also in that frame.

Makes you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Amazing, not.

All the astronauts have grandparents/great grandparents from countries other than the USA.....

Talking of Irish ancestry, Obama was classed as "Irish" because he's 1/16th Irish, all the other ancestry should count, whether it be Scottish, Welsh, German or whatever.

1/32 Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The first time I ever heard of him was on a Byrds album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

They were a mathematician, a different KIND of mathematician, and a statistician.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Edgware wrote: »
    But he didnt walk on the moon. He stayed behind in the spaceship. He's like the bus driver that drives the team that subsequently wins the All Ireland. When the match is on he stays in the bus having his sandwiches

I'd prefer to think of him as the father, that dropped the kids off to the playground, while he waits in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

biko wrote: »
    Cork people, is there anything they can't do?

Stay quiet. ;)
    Edgware wrote: »
    But he didnt walk on the moon. He stayed behind in the spaceship. He's like the bus driver that drives the team that subsequently wins the All Ireland. When the match is on he stays in the bus having his sandwiches

FFS with that attitude you could have a career at the top in Ryan Air.

Some busdriver, floating around for 16 odd hours on his own orbiting the moon.
    He knew about the dark side of the moon long before Roger Waters.
    He was the guy that had to perform rendezvous with the lunar module on the way home.

You could also say he was first Italian in space as he was born in Rome.

Supposedly he gave a tricolour to Armstrong and Buzz to plant on the Moon. Don’t know how true.

That is brilliant synopsis of that picture.

Nowadays the taker would have their puss in the front of the picture. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

Wibbs wrote: »

Yay, I'm in that picture. I was a wee babby, but I'm in it. :D
    I'm in it too but in my mum's womb as I was born a few months after the landing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Had Michael Collins taken a Shot at the British from space he would be remembered a lot more .

Even a shot that landed in the ocean near Britain would have been enough .

Advertisement