Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People using ATMs with stashes of cards...

Options
  • 02-07-2015 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Ok ladies and gentlemen, this might very well be nothing worth talking about, but I recently ended up queuing at ATMs behind people who, upon getting to the machine, produce a stash of cards and proceed to go through them, inserting one after the other as if sort of "testing".

I couldn't tell what they were doing exactly, I was at "privacy distance" only close enough to notice the unusual number of cards, a deck about 1 inch thick - which would mean 15-20 cards. People might have multiple accounts and maybe some credit/prepay cards, but such a number seems excessive unless we're talking about Bernie Ecclestone.

I have seen this twice in the last couple of weeks, in different places (Douglas and Mahon Point). I can't help but wonder if there could be some scam in the making...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

greek tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Encountered one cast iron selfish gob****e in the AIB self service kiosk on Winthrop St early one morning who looked like he was lodging to two dozen different accounts, kindly told me he was going to be a while. :( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What really annoys me at ATMs is people who queue at the ATM and only when they actually get to it do they then start rummaging in their bag or wallet for their card. Seriously could you not have had the card ready and consider other users?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

There's a multitude of people who seem to be applying for a mortgage at the atm given the amount of time it takes.

Seriously : 4 digits, which account, how much

Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i reckon with banks moving a lot of services online, people who can't use the internet banking are hogging atm's.

they won't use the inside ones for fear of staff seeing them taking ages and asking if they need help so instead use the kiosks and atm's holding everyone else up as they pay their bills/lodge money/withdraw money/move money around.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Could be someone with a load of stolen/skimmed cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What really annoys me at ATMs is people who queue at the ATM and only when they actually get to it do they then start rummaging in their bag or wallet for their card. Seriously could you not have had the card ready and consider other users?

When you say 'people' I take it you mean Women. It's not surprising as they do the same rummaging when they suddenly realise they have to pay for their shopping at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I swear people are playing pac man at machines.. totally agree or should I say Tots now!! People should have the cards ready to go..

I know some atm machines are slow but jes sometimes it makes me so angry your like wtf are you doing.. Card, pin, money go that's it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

even when you do use one card the machines are so slow...
    theres waiting time...
    its like using an old DOS computer...
    [card is put in]
    there is a meaningless 3 seconds
    [pin entered]
    there is a meaningless 2 seconds
    [are you sure you want to use this ATM, there may be a fee?]

etc etc etc

[card is ejected]
    there is a meaningless 5 seconds
    [money comes out]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

vector wrote: »
    even when you do use one card the machines are so slow...
    theres waiting time...
    its like using an old DOS computer...
    [card is put in]
    there is a meaningless 3 seconds
    [pin entered]
    [are you sure you want to use this ATM, there may be a fee?]

etc etc etc

[card is ejected]
    there is a meaningless 5 seconds
    [money comes out]

Many of the ATMs around are still old DOS computers, or running Windows 95, i've even seen a SUPER slow Sparkasse (German Bank) one using OS/2 Warp

I was using a Santander ATM Machine there last week and while waiting for the money to come out a pop up appeared saying the Macaffee Virus Definitions were not up to date :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This is why your been held up OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW5ELKTivbE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It also happens at self service checkouts. SLOW people taking their time holding everybody else up because they cannot work fast enough to reduce the ever increasing queues building up behind them.

I also notice that if a person in front of me is slow with their payment or make delaying requests etc the cashier takes it out on me by hurrying through my purchase and pushing me out of the way in order to get through the built up queue faster.

It is as if the slow mo creature has stolen my time.

Worst was the creature who answered her phone in the middle of a self service purchase and delayed every one in the queue with her all important call........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yeah, there are a lot of people who manage to waste inordinate amounts of time at an ATM machine, and "slowness of the system" has no part in it. Otherwise it doesn't explain why the next guy and me take only 25 seconds to complete the transaction. However...
    Could be someone with a load of stolen/skimmed cards?

This is what I was wondering about. When you see somebody "parking" themselves at the ATM with a deck of cards, trying them one by one and muttering something when some of them doesn't work, you can't help but wonder.

Advertisement