Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The House That Jack Built (Lars VonTrier)

Options
  • 15-05-2018 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

The latest work from LVT has caused somewhat of a stir at the Cannes when at last night's screening allegedly over 100 people walked out with many taking to Twitter to vent their ire.

Matt Dillon plays the titular Jack, a serial killer.

Much of the uproar comes from the apparent on screen killing of children. That is certainly one of the last taboos in cinema and Lars certainly doesn't shy away from the controversial. A 2.5 hour run time sounds quite bloated but the trailer has really piqued my interest. It's getting released late this year.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

that's a very good second half to that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is this a dark comedy?

I kinda laughed a few times during that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is this a dark comedy?

I kinda laughed a few times during that.

It certainly has that vibe and it wouldn't be an alien concept to LVT. The scene with the body being dragged behind the car in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I always have a good laugh when people go to film basically knowing what's coming and then storm out in high dudgeon!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I always have a good laugh when people go to film basically knowing what's coming and then storm out in high dudgeon!

It certainly makes you wonder what they thought a Von Trier film would be, if what sounds like textbook Von Trier upset them that much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Von Trier certainly got the reaction he was looking for anyway.

This looks like the sort of childish art-house horror nonsense that I tend to avoid these days.

I hope the already infamous duckling mutilation scene isn’t real, but with this director I would fear the worst.

Not really a fan of his work, but this does have the feel of a dark comedy, thats the way i see it anyway. Its looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 samck1996

The weird world of Lars von Trier...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Full trailer (red band):

:eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Not bad. The run time was a bit bloated alright but I enjoyed it.
    The Duckling scene made me wince a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Excellent film, one of the best of 2018. But...not quite as good as some of Von Trier's other films. Definitely not as provocative as the uncut version of Nymphomaniac, which was a pure masterpiece.

With the subject material, I was expected something much sicker, twisted, and much more boundary pushing than what we got. Besides the family hunt scene, it wasn't outrageous or anything for a serial killer film.

Advertisement