Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy training advice

Options
  • 12-09-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

So after many years, my OH and I are finally in the position to offer the time and committment a dog deserves (the love was never in question!). We have registered to adopt a pup from a rescue and have been approved so now just waiting until a pup who needs a home arrives.

It has been 17 years since I last trained a puppy (our last beautiful family rescue dog when I was a teenager, a border collie cross) so I have some experience but we're both doing a lot of reading and research at the moment.

There's one issue I'm struggling a bit with and would appreciate some advice on. We live in a quiet enough estate although it seems that a lot of our neighbours leave their dogs outside alone for much of the day as the barking can really get horrendous at times. One of us will be home most days (everyday while pup is young) and if we're both out dog will be kept inside - very secure garden but too many horror stories of dogs being stolen for me. However, I'm worried about the pup picking up bad habits from listening to these other dogs barking all day.

I'm not expecting our dog to never bark btw, it's more I want to prevent a bad habit of constant barking forming. My current plan is to provide lots of distraction if pup joins the barking, and to reward quiet behaviour (although pup may be getting his own reward by joining in the barking so our rewards may not be as enticing!!)

Perhaps I'm overthinking and without long periods of being left alone, pup will never develop such a habit but would appreciate some advice, particularly if anyone has dealt with something similar.

(I tried to post this earlier but it disappeared, so apologies if a double thread does appear!)

Advertisement