Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2019, 11:33   #1
ua

putting cctv cameras on someone else's property

Puzzled, a neighbour has put up cctv cameras a while ago on another neighbour's property without permission, everytime i leave or enter the entrance to my home, i have to pass the neighbours cctv cameras 1 on the wall a foot from my entrance and i'm not too happy about it , the neighbours live past my house and have another camera across from my house, is this legal,
Advertisement
11-09-2019, 11:45   #2
victor8600

Is it legal to put a camera on *your* property without your permission? I would guess no. But you said the camera is not on your property, so it is a matter between your neighbours.

I think what you want to ask is whether it is legal for your neighbour to install a surveillance camera which looks at your house. In that case, this article may help you:
https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36543060.html
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2019, 13:23   #3
Donnacha_

Installation of CCTV at home, just like in a business needs to be done in a way that is compliant with the law. The installation of any CCTV system is goverened by a number of pieces of legislation but the most relevant is the General Data Protection Regulations introduced throughout Europe on May 25th 2018. There are also some other bits and pieces such as Human Rights laws relating to a right to privacy etc, but GDPR is the big one.
(2) thanks from:
bk, ua
18-09-2019, 10:50   #4
lgk

Data Protection Commission have published guidance on domestic CCTV use, in most cases GDPR does not apply, but monitoring of public spaces will bring it into play.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion