Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Yeti?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I find the Orang pendek to be the most likely of all imo. National geographic are part funding the project to find one. If it does exist I would say it is an extant homo floresiensis.

what's the minimal number needed for a viable population?

I presume no one is entertaining the idea of an individual wandering around. Like they creatures, if they did exist, would most likely have a life span of <50 years. If there is one alive, there would need to be at least 20.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

yekahS wrote: »
    Same here. I'd imagine it's not exactly a florensis, but definitely something very closely related. If it exists at all...

Couldn´t it be also a large species of gibbon? Gibbons walk bipedally on land, I believe, and if they spend most of their time up tree tops it could explain why they are so rarely seen (apart from the fact that, if they exist, they must be really, really rare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Don't let the topic die out lads :) Went back and forth with steddyeddy on this for for ages, over a year ago! Will try avoid getting into it again :p, but am following this learned discussion with interest!

edit

Me and eddy, for those interested!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882185

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dave! wrote: »
    Don't let the topic die out lads :) Went back and forth with steddyeddy on this for for ages, over a year ago! Will try avoid getting into it again :p, but am following this learned discussion with interest!

edit

Me and eddy, for those interested!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882185

It was good Dave ha ha. Well theres still posts here I have to reply to. Just swamped with college lately! I make a few good ones!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Well I was the last one to post... no one commented on my idea of a giant gibbon as a possible explanation for those bipedal apes from southern Asia.
    Not all bipedal apes HAVE to be closely related to humans, you know...

At least we know that some apes in prehistoric times were bipedal despite their not being part of Homo sapiens' close family- Oreopithecus, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreopithecus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Its a good idea Adam.

A larger version of that guy that lives in the trees, rarely seen and is bipedal on the ground could be a very good explanation.

Neither of these drawings look a million miles away from a large gibbon either

orangpendek1copywebaddress.jpg

orangpendenk.jpg

Interesting....

yekahS wrote: »
    Its a good idea Adam.

A larger version of that guy that lives in the trees, rarely seen and is bipedal on the ground could be a very good explanation.

Neither of these drawings look a million miles away from a large gibbon either

orangpendek1copywebaddress.jpg

orangpendenk.jpg

Interesting....

Haha the last one looks like a bonobo wearing a blonde wig :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A large gibbon seems plausible enough for the Orang Pendak anyway. Although I'm still sceptical, I mean would it really be that difficult to spot them? Even if they kept to the canopy most of the time?

I suppose there's the possibility that they're weary of humans and are quick to avoid one.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A large gibbon seems plausible enough for the Orang Pendak anyway. Although I'm still sceptical, I mean would it really be that difficult to spot them? Even if they kept to the canopy most of the time?

I suppose there's the possibility that they're weary of humans and are quick to avoid one.

Yeah, and they would also be extremely rare by now- seeing as the larger animals tend to dissappear first, it wouldn`t be a stretch to suposse that they were already scarce, say, at the end of the Pleistocene...

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Well I was the last one to post... no one commented on my idea of a giant gibbon as a possible explanation for those bipedal apes from southern Asia.
    Not all bipedal apes HAVE to be closely related to humans, you know...

At least we know that some apes in prehistoric times were bipedal despite their not being part of Homo sapiens' close family- Oreopithecus, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreopithecus

Hey Adam apologies for the delay! It could very well be a giant gibbon (at least the asian ones). If bigfoot exists its possible that it evolved bipedialty independently of the genus Homo.

On the asian Orang pendek several of the witnesses, native and non native were asked could it have been a gibbon they saw and they generally said it wasnt. Debbie martyr who works in a tiger conservation project over there expanded on the sighting and the gibbon question by stating that the gibbon cant lock the knee when walking and has to "dance" and that what she saw walked very upright.

Jeremy holden a free lance photgrapher who obtained some of the first photos of the sumatran rabbit and clouded leopard is also a reliable witness. He stated that it wasnt like the reconstructions of early man were their basically these hunched bipeds and that ornag pendek walked like a super model, perfectly bipdel.

The real answer imo is who knows what if anything their seeing but I have to say I find it all very interesting.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hey Adam apologies for the delay! It could very well be a giant gibbon (at least the asian ones). If bigfoot exists its possible that it evolved bipedialty independently of the genus Homo.

On the asian Orang pendek several of the witnesses, native and non native were asked could it have been a gibbon they saw and they generally said it wasnt. Debbie martyr who works in a tiger conservation project over there expanded on the sighting and the gibbon question by stating that the gibbon cant lock the knee when walking and has to "dance" and that what she saw walked very upright.

Jeremy holden a free lance photgrapher who obtained some of the first photos of the sumatran rabbit and clouded leopard is also a reliable witness. He stated that it wasnt like the reconstructions of early man were their basically these hunched bipeds and that ornag pendek walked like a super model, perfectly bipdel.

The real answer imo is who knows what if anything their seeing but I have to say I find it all very interesting.

That's interesting about their gait... but still,I don´t think one should rule out the possibility of a giant gibbon of some unknown species. After all, bonobos walk bipedally much more often (and more skillfully) than common chimpanzees, and they are very closely related...

Adam Khor wrote: »
    That's interesting about their gait... but still,I don´t think one should rule out the possibility of a giant gibbon of some unknown species. After all, bonobos walk bipedally much more often (and more skillfully) than common chimpanzees, and they are very closely related...

I cant rule out anything at all your quite right Adam. You made a good point in relation to bonobos and chimps being closely related yet have different gaits. There was previously sightings of a bipedal ape in africa in the 18th century which could very well be the bonobos. I do think we should keep this thread going as Dave has suggested because the prospect of new animals being discovered is always interesting.

Advertisement