Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you floss every day?

• 21-09-2020 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I generally keep my teeth in shape (electric toothbrush) but every time I go to the dentist, he gives me a bollocking over not flossing every day. I reckon I do it once a week. I don't think everyone does it and want to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dentist gave me a bollocking last time too, so I've been making an effort to use those little TePe brushes every day, but I haven't fully got into the habit yet. They make a big difference to how clean my teeth feel, so hopefully they're doing me some actual good.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

After every meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

More like once a week. What my dentist advised me to do a couple of weeks ago was to brush into my gums where they meet the teeth using a soft toothbrush, as it stops plaque build up which can damage gums.
    Also got Zoom whitening done the other day which had great results. I kind of enjoy going to the dentist in a perverse way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just about every evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I floss religiously each and every time I have a dentist appointment the next day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

About 4 times in my 37 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

No allowed candy floss is full of sugar bad for my diabetes, and I hated to see the dentist and doctor argue over my health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Never used the stuff in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I saw a new yolk yesterday in the shop that looks like a massive electric toothbrush but it's a machine that you fill up with mouthwash and it squirts it between the teeth. For those too lazy to swish I presume.

Don't really floss. That's the dentist's job. Not sure how useful it is really. I know it's something Americans usually do but let's be honest they've all had major work done on their teeth.

Every day, twice a day. Research the ever more elucidated link between p.gingivalis (the bacteria that causes periodontal disease) and Alzheimers and you will too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I get my partner to do it for me. I can't stand the feel of the floss on my hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I get my partner to do it for me. I can't stand the feel of the floss on my hands.

You've a keeper if they'll agree to clean your teeth for you. I'll help the kids with theirs, but if my wife asked me to clean her teeth, I'd politely ask her to get the floss from the car, then quickly change the front door lock while she's out looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Candie wrote: »
    Every day, twice a day. Research the ever more elucidated link between p.gingivalis (the bacteria that causes periodontal disease) and Alzheimers and you will too.

does that mean plaque is hereditary too?

Never had the patience for flossing. Think I've done it once this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

kowloonkev wrote: »

They've "done their research".

kowloonkev wrote: »

Plaque causes the growth of bacteria in the mouth, it builds up naturally over the day as a sticky residue from what you eat or drink and it's important to brush it away from the surface of your teeth and to clean it from between your teeth as the bacteria can inflame your gums and cause gum disease. If you don't brush it away it hardens over time into tartar which your dentist has to scrape off, or use a power instrument to clean from between your teeth and around the gum line.

When the gums are affected they can be red, bleed easily and are sometimes sore or easily hurt. That's gingivitis, which can lead to the colonisation of P. gingivalis which spurs the production of toxic beta-amyloids that can clump together between brain cells after it enters the bloodstream via the bleeding gums. These clumps/plaques are found in patients with cognitive decline, and it had been thought they were a result of Alzheimers, but now the reverse is thought. It's not going to be the whole picture, but it's increasingly likely to be part of it.

Most adults have some degree of gum disease, and it's reversible with good hygiene unless it's particularly bad. It's more a question of staying on top of it, and flossing is an important element of oral hygiene that'll help you do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Use these things whenever there's something stuck in my teeth but seems more like a toothpick than 'proper' flossing to me.

10126316?id=-Klmv1&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=504&hei=548

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No, never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Research the risks of fluoride, and you might want to watch that documentary about water too, nothing will be getting cleaned again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Never have. Neither has my family.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can save a lot of time by only flossing the ones you want to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Try flossing with braces ffs.

I don't like tooth pick types onces. I found the type with the handle and 1cm of floss not bad to use.

Still don't do it enough all the same. I'll add it to the ever growing list ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,025 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

uhm no. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

no, but i blast cold water through the gaps, with my gob.

so like, swish toothpastey cold water at high psi round my teeth and mouth.

its like flossing but with water.

high psi and high g force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

anyone try the floss heads for the electric brushes? There are also floss machines that shoot water between your teeth. Thinking about getting one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Fell off the wagon with it and gums began to bleed badly. Bollocked by dentist. Now floss and mouthwash twice a day, bleeding has stopped gums way less inflamed and teeth feel really clean so have kept it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

anyone try the floss heads for the electric brushes? There are also floss machines that shoot water between your teeth. Thinking about getting one or the other.

yeah tried a floss head on my electric toothbrush, found it not great as it doesnt properly fit between the teeth. Not sure about those water blasting ones, I think they will get rid of loose food no problems but if you've plaque I doubt they are blasting that away with just water, would imagine it needs more vigorous brushing.

I find the Tepee brushes the best (and thats what dentists seem to recommend). Was told thats because you are proper brushing between your teeth and the gums between them too which is important to keep hard so they dont bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Plaque causes the growth of bacteria in the mouth, it builds up naturally over the day as a sticky residue from what you eat or drink and it's important to brush it away from the surface of your teeth and to clean it from between your teeth as the bacteria can inflame your gums and cause gum disease. If you don't brush it away it hardens over time into tartar which your dentist has to scrape off, or use a power instrument to clean from between your teeth and around the gum line.

When the gums are affected they can be red, bleed easily and are sometimes sore or easily hurt. That's gingivitis, which can lead to the colonisation of P. gingivalis which spurs the production of toxic beta-amyloids that can clump together between brain cells after it enters the bloodstream via the bleeding gums. These clumps/plaques are found in patients with cognitive decline, and it had been thought they were a result of Alzheimers, but now the reverse is thought. It's not going to be the whole picture, but it's increasingly likely to be part of it.

Most adults have some degree of gum disease, and it's reversible with good hygiene unless it's particularly bad. It's more a question of staying on top of it, and flossing is an important element of oral hygiene that'll help you do that.

Jeez, after reading that I'm glad I mouthwash with hydrogen peroxide and salt cyclically.

Advertisement