Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy crying &yelping at night or when left outside/one room

Options
  • 15-09-2020 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I’ve recently got new 10 week old Labrador pup and he is very bad at night or left without human presence... outside, other room etc.
    His night crying is very bad very loud and I don’t know what to do with him.
    I was prepared for it but not equipped with how to deal with it.
    Any advise /tips on general training or where to find info on line will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’ve recently got new 10 week old Labrador pup and he is very bad at night or left without human presence... outside, other room etc.
    His night crying is very bad very loud and I don’t know what to do with him.
    I was prepared for it but not equipped with how to deal with it.
    Any advise /tips on general training or where to find info on line will be greatly appreciated

What have you tried so far?

We put a clock in our pups bed. She loved it as the ticking is supposed to remind them of their mothers heartbeat. You can also put a t-shirt or jumper you’ve worn into their bed as it smells like you and can be reassuring.

We leave the radio low down on for the dogs during the day as well. You could give that a go with some calm music.

You have to think about it from their perspective. All their life, they spent every minute with their mother and litter mates. Now they only know you and you’ve left them in a strange room/outside and they’re all alone. It could take them a while to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I would fully go with a crate with his bed, a wrapped hot water bottle and a couple of soft toys in it - also if you have a jumper with your scent on it. Cover the crate when he goes in too.

Remember we see a cage but they see a warm safe sanctuary - be prepared to do some pee/poo let outs during the night but this won't be for long. We were set against it when we got Ruby, thinking it was cruel but she loves it and is 6 1/2 now - it's her 'home'. A little treat as soon as they get in it will encourage them in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What I say now may cause consternation, but it is now widely accepted amongst behavioural scientists and practitioners that just as it is with babies, we should not leave our new puppies to cry it out at night, and we need to get them used to being alone very gradually and gently. To leave them in a state of anxiety and upset at a tender and highly impressionable age is closely linked with future separation anxiety issues.
    It is a nuisance, but one of the most important things we can do for our new pups, is to either (a) bring pup into the bedroom and let him sleep in a crate or playpen beside the bed, with a view to gradually moving pup out of the bedroom as he gets more emotionally secure and gets to know his new home and people, or (b) sleep on the couch beside pup's sleeping area.
    Similarly, we need to teach pups to be happily left alone. If your pup shows signs of anxiety when left alone, he needs to be taught to tolerate solitude in tiny doses at first... one second at first, gradually lengthening the absences as he gets used to it. He should be given something lovely to chew on, like a stuffed kong, or tripe stick, or whatever, and as he gets stuck into it, you leave the room then turn around and immediately return, and repeat this many, many times, until your departure becomes boring to him! You will see this... he may glance at you, but otherwise won't react. It might take hours, it might take days... but it needs to happen at his pace, every pup is different. When you can see he has become used to tiny absences, then you can start to make your absences gradually longer. Again, a crate or playpen is a great bit of gear in this situation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I never left young pups alone at night but got them used to short periods alone in the dog run outside during the day especially with the second one with the other dog as I was going to be returning to work when I got him. For the first week he couldn’t be left without human company at all. I was a bit worried as my mum wasn’t dying about the prospect of having him underfoot all day when I wasn’t there. The second week though he came on in leaps and bounds with a divider in the run so the older dog wasn’t tormented by the pup. By the end of week two I was able to leave him four hours. The first time he was left alone without the other dog he was grand, not bothered at all by the presence of absence of the other dog so I don’t think it mattered that I was leaving him with another dog. I gave both dogs kongs with kibble and wet dog food frozen in them in early days to keep them occupied to begin with. This really worked, they were so busy licking and chomping away that they forgot they were alone. My situation meant I didn’t need for dogs to used to being alone for longer periods but I did get them used to being alone one night a week in case they ever had to go to vets overnight or be kennelled or anything so it doesn’t come as a shock to the system in those cases. Do it as slowly and gently as is required as suggested by DBB and you will be surprised how quickly the pup progresses once he/she gets the basic idea. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry just to add. Get him used to one place at first. Pick a room or outside and use this only for his alone time. My fella does complain a little bit if left in a new place alone. Eg he stayed with a family member when I was in hospital. I wasn’t worried as he was used to being alone at that stage it’s just that he was in a new place as well. Consistency is important in the early stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

When we got our pup at 10 or 12 weeks old he was grand during the day but cried the house down at night We left it for a few nights thinking he would settle down but nothing changed. Finally when we could take no more my other half slept on an armchair in the sitting room with the pup on his knee not a cheep out of him After a few nights of this he decided to come back into the bedroom thinking the dog would stay in the sitting room but guess who was at his heels That was 11 years and the dog is still here in the bedroom Something I said I would never do

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As CherryBlosson and DBB have said so cogently.. Leaving a small animal just from leaving his mother and siblings alone at night? please no. Just no.

lulu1 wrote: »
    When we got our pup at 10 or 12 weeks old he was grand during the day but cried the house down at night We left it for a few nights thinking he would settle down but nothing changed. Finally when we could take no more my other half slept on an armchair in the sitting room with the pup on his knee not a cheep out of him After a few nights of this he decided to come back into the bedroom thinking the dog would stay in the sitting room but guess who was at his heels That was 11 years and the dog is still here in the bedroom Something I said I would never do

Thank you with all my old heart! Whenever I have taken in a new cat? They get bedroom privileges.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

you should have gotten one of those robot dogs as you sound too impatient for a puppy imagine leaving you baby on its own for 12 hours same thing. be kind and considerate to the little creature who has been taken from his mother and brought to a strange place and he has no similiar species around him or company in the dark night it is not rocket science. hot water bottle covered in a fleece, teddies an old t shirt form his new people. You could also have adopted an older rescue dog who would have been soo glad to have a home and comforts sleeping and being quiet would have been a joy to him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

bertiebomber,
    You need to very much dial back on the tone of your posts, which are cominh across as increasingly preachy and soapboxy.
    You may not judge or lecture people about rescuing animals in this forum either.
    Please take these comments on board bertiebomber, as the next step will include having to curtail your posts further.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I am a few weeks ahead of you with my Labrador puppy, she is 14 weeks old. How we approached it was
    - The first 2 nights sleeping in a crate in the bedroom.
    - Then downstairs sleeping in the crate with one of us sleeping on the couch beside her for about a week.
    - Then left her by herself with 2 toilet breaks in the night. (There were whines the first night, but she was fine after 10 mins)
    - Then sleeping the whole night

Every dog is different, but it took us about 4 weeks to progress from sleeping in the bedroom to sleeping all night herself. She now happily gets in the create by herself around 9pm to go to bed for the night.

Good luck with it, but don't expect too much too soon.

Now if anyone has any advice on barking for attention I'd love to hear it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

I have a slightly younger pup myself,and not a whimper or a squeak during the night.
    He sleeps on the pillow next to my head.
    Not for everyone I know,but I'm a soft touch and enjoy a good nights sleep.
    He does wake me up around six chewing on my hair,but I can live with that and will move him to a dog bed in the room when he's a little bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    .... and will move him to a dog bed in the room when he's a little bigger.

Best of luck with that, I have a feeling that it will prove difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Best of luck with that, I have a feeling that it will prove difficult.
    Luckily I have a large bed and it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I have a slightly younger pup myself,and not a whimper or a squeak during the night.
    He sleeps on the pillow next to my head.
    Not for everyone I know,but I'm a soft touch and enjoy a good nights sleep.
    He does wake me up around six chewing on my hair,but I can live with that and will move him to a dog bed in the room when he's a little bigger.

Love it! One of my cats does this but it is a permanent arrangement,.. Be warned!

Luckily I have a large bed and it's a risk I'm willing to take.

And they are warm in winter... like a breathing hot water bottle..

Advertisement