Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Bulldog purchase Ireland - advice sought

Options
  • 16-09-2020 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Long time lurker, not a regular poster - but need some advice and opinion.

I am in the process of buying a dog, more specifically a French Bulldog. I had to say goodbye to my best friend - a boxer mongrel, in April of this year after 11 brilliant years. I am now WFH and will not be back inside an office until the middle of next year, so this is the best chance I will get to raise a pup.

After researching breeds, temperaments and consulting what both of us would like for a dog (health issues and all) - we decided on a FB. This is taking into account we hope to start a family soon so would like a well tempered dog.

Considering myself socially responsible,I've read the best way to do this is through a body/association - so I contacted the IKC, and the response I got was "this year, we cannot give out the details of the FB association for legal reasons. Your best bet is to google the association and get the contact details that way, best of luck". - I've done this, and no luck. I did find some contact details of a secretary (on boards) but have sent 2/3 emails to no avail.

In light of this, I'm really looking for some guidance as to how to purchase a dog in a responsible manner. I've seen some posters here with some great info. I will say too, I am fully onboard with dog shelters and feel they serve a critical purpose to deal with the numbers of dogs produced in Ireland - unfortunately, I am yet to see a shelter with pups - but any info on this is also greatly appreciated.

Question: Has anyone else purchased a FB, and if so, can you please provide me with some info (particularly if the IKC cannot offer any help)?

Journey so far (for reference):
    • Contacted my local vet, discussed with them and gotten a list of questions to ask the breeder, which I have been doing for the last few weeks. I was sent a 'puppy contract' which essentially details all the Q's to ask, and if preferred - can be signed by breeder and buyer.
    • Joined some groups on Facebook and found a few pages which are named 'Irish Bulls' etc - (this is a fictional name BTW). Asked questions, got answers and it looks as though the majority of breeders have litters due just in time for Xmas, which is no surprise. Whats clear is some people are clearly passionate about the breed, and go as far to say that others shouldn't be trusted etc. as the industry is rife with scammers / puppy mills etc.
    • Found a breeder in Ulster which has an available puppy, comes with IKC registered papers, vacc/microchipped/food etc. scheduled to meet at the breeders house (with Mother present) and potentially purchase puppy next week. I've also been given the details on the father

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

Most responsible breeders have not bred their dogs throughout the pandemic due to issues with having strangers in their house etc. There is also an awful thirst for pups throughout the pandemic. Everyone wants a pup now and there are none to be had from responsible breeders. The reason the the breed club has not replied to you is likely because they have been inundated with requests for puppies, many from people they would not deem to be responsible owners. Before the pandemic it was not unheard of to be on a waiting list for a pup for over a year. French bulldogs are also a less common breed.

We here on the animals and pets forum have also banned threads looking for pets while this awful demand for them is ongoing so I’m afraid I have to close your thread now. My best advice is to forget about it for the meantime and revisit the situation next year. Sorry we can’t be more help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement