Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Student does Exam 3 Hours after Surgery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sounds like she was eager herself to get it done.
    Must have been still tripping from the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Doesn't sound like she was eager at all.
    A Leaving Certificate student has described as "inhumane" having to sit an exam just hours after surgery.

18-year-old Amy Richards from Wexford has written to the Irish Times outlining her experience.

She said she took English Paper 1 just three hours after surgery to remove her appendix, after a request to sit the exam in July was refused.

Looks like she took it in her hospital room.
    image.jpg
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/sitting-leaving-cert-exam-hours-after-appendix-ruptured-inhumane-student-1.3945828

biko wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like she was eager at all.

Ah, didn't see that part.

Fairly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kneemos wrote: »
    Sounds like she was eager herself to get it done.
    Must have been still tripping from the drugs.

Other option was to repeat. Pretty big deal.
    A year is a long time to an 18 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Absolute madness, what the fuck is wrong with this country that they couldn't let her sit the exam in July with everyone else who was sitting it in July?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Disgraceful! The Examinations Commission needs to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

JMNolan wrote: »
    Absolute madness, what the fuck is wrong with this country that they couldn't let her sit the exam in July with everyone else who was sitting it in July?

Rules and regulations trump common sense in Ireland.

Amateur should not have mentioned the surgery at all. She should have found religion and then demanded exception on religious grounds. There was a story a couple of years back where some kids were kept under quarantine so they could sit the exam - which fell on their sabbath - a day later so they would not have to violate their religious convictions.

If we can except people on grounds of jewish religious fantasy - who really should have been failed for not showing up for the exam - then we should be able to except people with genuine medical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There would surely be a backup paper anyway thats already prepared, in the event that something went awry. Why not use that as her paper at a later date?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Christ
    "The exams were interrupted on numerous occasions so I could receive pain medication and have my drip changed.

“I was trying to write but all I could think about was getting sick. I had to end both exams early and ended up on the bathroom floor getting sick.”

You study for 5 years and then in the end they can't let you wait another month, ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

All this hardship on a sick child for a piece of paper that'll become worthless when she enters the real world. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Stupid and dangerous to force this student into that situation.

However, she is tough as nails to do an exam 3 hours after surgery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

JMNolan wrote: »

Where do you draw the line? First you get a pass with a dead parent, now operation, next a sore throat. Kids are becoming too soft. They have only 1 exam from the day they are born til the day they turn 18, you can fail every exam in primary and go to secondary, you can fail every exam on junior cert and still sit the leaving, but if you fail the leaving the buck stops. Long may it remain.

How was she even conscious three hours after an operation?

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

When she's an auld wan, she can tell young wans "In my day, we had to do our exams in hospital straight after operations".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The appendix had burst too which made it a much longer and more complex operation.
    It also meant she was on a high dose of antibiotics and painkillers.

Stupid by the Dept of Education not to have worthwhile options.
    From all accounts that Dept is badly run and full of managers that do not want to be progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Where do you draw the line? First you get a pass with a dead parent, now operation, next a sore throat. Kids are becoming too soft. They have only 1 exam from the day they are born til the day they turn 18, you can fail every exam in primary and go to secondary, you can fail every exam on junior cert and still sit the leaving, but if you fail the leaving the buck stops. Long may it remain.
    Yeah postponement due to appendix surgery definitely means being too soft and that hypothetical situation you mentioned which nobody would expect a postponement for.

I don't get this "Where do you draw the line?" thing either. Obviously when it's not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stupid decision by the young woman to sit. Should have just had a "not sat" recorded",and done a PLC course of some sort, or just for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Stupid decision by the young woman to sit. Should have just had a "not sat" recorded",and done a PLC course of some sort, or just for a job.

It wasn't her decision. she was obliged to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not a medical person, but does it not seem a bit odd to anyone that a few hours after undergoing surgery in hospital, doctors give the go ahead for her to take a major state exam ? That to me is a head scratcher as would be the roll of the parents too as well as the exam people. If the photo wasn’t there I’m not believing it, but it is.

• Advertisement

Yeah postponement due to appendix surgery definitely means being too soft and that hypothetical situation you mentioned which nobody would expect a postponement for.

I don't get this "Where do you draw the line?" thing either. Obviously when it's not serious.

Who decides serious? Let's say its the doc who fills out the form to get you an exemption, you know how it works here in Ireland. Family doc are notorious for writing excuses. That's why you should do 7 subjects to insure if one day goes pot, you still hv a chance.the only excuse should be if you are dead.

She's aiming to do medicine, a PLC isn't much use to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I'm sorry but hold on a minute here...Forget about the Examinations Commission for a sec. What parent would allow that nonsense to happen? Shower of saps.

-Funk

story in the irish times predictably is a bit more blurry, once details are included.

firstly, the protocol for sitting 1st July is for bereavement only. case closed. you cant f/w protocol or you dont have a govt.

the quote, after a delayed diagnosis "when i was told at 7pm i had appendicitis, i didn't care, i just wanted to sit the exam"

what does this mean? was an option for deferral available at this stage and refused?

im sure that shes not the only student who took ill during this leaving cert

why are we hearing about her and why is it being framed only around the cycle of repeats that are explicitly for bereaved students?

i wonder if there is other repeat options (always was before) and for some reason they didnt like them? be an interesting thing to find out, except the story here is the outrage.

Who decides serious? Let's say its the doc who fills out the form to get you an exemption, you know how it works here in Ireland. Family doc are notorious for writing excuses. That's why you should do 7 subjects to insure if one day goes pot, you still hv a chance.the only excuse should be if you are dead.

Don't you have to have certain core subjects done in order to pass the LC? I think it's at least Irish and Maths. If you skip those, you fail the cert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yep a girl aiming to do medicine should just settle for a PLC or stacking shelves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

All this hardship on a sick child for a piece of paper that'll become worthless when she enters the real world. Sad.

It’s not worthless in college admissions.

I too am dubious about this, it doesn’t look like she applied in time to get the deferral and it does look like the DOE took time to send the paper and the invigilator to her hospital bed which is presumably what she did ask for.

Edit:

Actually the deferral is just for bereavement.

There’s probably a reason why calling in sick doesn’t automatically lead to a deferral. See if we can work it out.

Candie wrote: »
    Don't you have to have certain core subjects done in order to pass the LC? I think it's at least Irish and Maths. If you skip those, you fail the cert.

There is no "fail the LC" . It's a matric exam for 3rd level, there are exemptions for eng/irish and maths now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Utterly ridiculous, unfair and inhumane. That young woman should have been permitted to defer sitting her exams until July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No one should be made to feel that much pressure - the leaving cert is not the be all and end all and in most cases ends up being completely irrelevant to your life.

By all means study and try to do well but it’s not worth risking your life for.

Advertisement