Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUBG on Xbox [preview program]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Finding this could be fun but the controls and skill level make it impossible. If I manage to find weapon and reload (find holding x awkward) I'm dead before I can react (even with headset)
    What am I missing here surely it can't be that hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I think just practice but i feel your pain. I quite often have the jump on people and still die. Its so hard to kill someone unless they're like within 10 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Finding this could be fun but the controls and skill level make it impossible. If I manage to find weapon and reload (find holding x awkward) I'm dead before I can react (even with headset)
    What am I missing here surely it can't be that hard
    Have you re-adjusted all the sensitivity settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There’s no aim assist in this game for Xbox, at least not yet hence why everyone is struggling to kill other players. Every other console game has aim assist hence why people are so used to it on console.
    A controller is never as accurate as kB/mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Blazer wrote: »
    There’s no aim assist in this game for Xbox, at least not yet hence why everyone is struggling to kill other players. Every other console game has aim assist hence why people are so used to it on console.
    I always turn off aim assist on console. I haven't used it in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Blazer wrote: »

I'm having no problems hitting anyone with ARs but I'm crap with SMGs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So played my first game last night, got my first kill, then had to sprint for ages to escape the blue, finally get into the safe zone, only to slowly saunter past someone, who promptly killed me. Ah well, I enjoyed it.

My kill was quite funny, thought that there was someone was in a house, so kinda looked around the entire place. By the time I got to the last room, I thought maybe I was mistaken, so wasn't paying any attention. All I hear and see is a full clip being fired all around me, not a single hit, despite the fact that I stopped moving when the firing started. Had time to figure out how to go into first person mode and everything then, poor guy must have been struggling to reload.

Anyway, my impressions are that the game itself is good, but very rocky right now. The lobby is such a disaster that they should really remove it, just have a longer loading screen and then load you directly into the plane. Other than that, the game performs okay once you're down, not great, but certainly playable. The controls need a bit of love, but they're functional. I wonder if they should just remove third person aiming, so as to avoid the whole "double tap L trigger" to aim down sights, it's just weird.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

CatInABox wrote: »
    So played my first game last night, got my first kill, then had to sprint for ages to escape the blue, finally get into the safe zone, only to slowly saunter past someone, who promptly killed me. Ah well, I enjoyed it.

My kill was quite funny, thought that there was someone was in a house, so kinda looked around the entire place. By the time I got to the last room, I thought maybe I was mistaken, so wasn't paying any attention. All I hear and see is a full clip being fired all around me, not a single hit, despite the fact that I stopped moving when the firing started. Had time to figure out how to go into first person mode and everything then, poor guy must have been struggling to reload.

Anyway, my impressions are that the game itself is good, but very rocky right now. The lobby is such a disaster that they should really remove it, just have a longer loading screen and then load you directly into the plane. Other than that, the game performs okay once you're down, not great, but certainly playable. The controls need a bit of love, but they're functional. I wonder if they should just remove third person aiming, so as to avoid the whole "double tap L trigger" to aim down sights, it's just weird.

You only need to tap left trigger once to ADS. It's hold for over the shoulder and tap for ADS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You only need to tap left trigger once to ADS. It's hold for over the shoulder and tap for ADS.

Yeah, it's still weird, what ever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭IBrows89

I played last night for a couple of hours and found it very good, took I while to get used to the controls (played a game where i forgot Y was to change primary weapon.... I know I know). Much better than fortnite already, I know fortnite was free so I wouldn't really put them in the same boat.

My problem was I tried playing in team or duo and not one person had a headset, don't know why you'd go to play a team game like this without a headset but each to their own.

I found solo very good, the maps are huge and some games I seemed to just keep sprinting to stay in it. Any update when the desert map will be on xbox?

• Advertisement

IBrows89 wrote: »
    I played last night for a couple of hours and found it very good, took I while to get used to the controls (played a game where i forgot Y was to change primary weapon.... I know I know). Much better than fortnite already, I know fortnite was free so I wouldn't really put them in the same boat.

My problem was I tried playing in team or duo and not one person had a headset, don't know why you'd go to play a team game like this without a headset but each to their own.

I found solo very good, the maps are huge and some games I seemed to just keep sprinting to stay in it. Any update when the desert map will be on xbox?

Is duo and team not where you have a premade team and load in together?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is duo and team not where you have a premade team and load in together?

You can still go in solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

No date for the new map. If you think this map is big wait until you see the desert map which although is still 8x8km it feels much bigger because of the terrain

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can still go in solo.

The other poster was going into team modes solo but I thought they wouldn't be able to hear you?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Yea that's what I played. The other poster was going into team modes solo.

Yeah, what i'm saying is you don't need a pre made team to play duos or squad.

One thing I've noticed is they seem to have left out the ability to turn auto matchmaking off so you always end up with a randomer if you match make in squads with only 3 of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Long range gunplay is difficult, had the drop on a lad last night, he was maybe 75 meters away from me, heading in the opposite direction, I got a few shots off, but he still managed to win the gunfight. If that was battlefield I would have been raging, but I'm chalking it down to poor trigger discipline on my part.

I've found better accuracy with single or burst fire shots. Full auto dumps the ammo amazingly fast and the recoil is very pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Got my first win last night. We were exchanging gun fire, neither of us noticing where the next circle was. I was out in the open with a slight crest as cover and he was behind a tree in front about three meters away. He had the drop and everything but I had 1 or two shots on him. Next thing he just bolts out of the left hand side of me from behind the tree and he just falls dead. Died outside the play zone. I had to take a shower after it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭IBrows89

Long range gunplay is difficult, had the drop on a lad last night, he was maybe 75 meters away from me, heading in the opposite direction, I got a few shots off, but he still managed to win the gunfight. If that was battlefield I would have been raging, but I'm chalking it down to poor trigger discipline on my part.

I've found better accuracy with single or burst fire shots. Full auto dumps the ammo amazingly fast and the recoil is very pronounced.

I stopped using full auto completely after the first time using it, absolutely pointless as the recoil is so uncontrollable.

I would use full auto in close quarters that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Got my first win last night. We were exchanging gun fire, neither of us noticing where the next circle was. I was out in the open with a slight crest as cover and he was behind a tree in front about three meters away. He had the drop and everything but I had 1 or two shots on him. Next thing he just bolts out of the left hand side of me from behind the tree and he just falls dead. Died outside the play zone. I had to take a shower after it. :)

I dont care how buggy and unfinished the game is, once you get down to the last 20, I dont think I've ever been on the edge of my seat like I am in this.

• Advertisement

Thats it, the concept definitely wins over the state of the game. It would be nice for the game to be a lot smoother in many ways but I can still see myself playing it for the buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Thats it, the concept definitely wins over the state of the game. It would be nice for the game to be a lot smoother in many ways but I can still see myself playing it for the buzz
    This is going to be one of those games on console that people get used to the Early Access / Game Preview model. (Like 'We Happy Few')
    • Yes, it's choppy.
    • Yes, the graphics are relatively basic.
    • Yes, there are somethings about the control scheme that could be better.
    • Yes, it's not the full game - that doesn't even exist on PC.

The game is not finished. We are paying to be beta testers. But, when it runs, it is such a blast - I don't even mind some of the times I died because it was fun getting there.

When the game does get a full release, it will be better. We can wait until then and pay full price, or start now and have fun along the way. I'm opting for the latter, knowing that it'll be bumpy along the way.

Honestly this runs like a dream compared to how ark did on console launch and I had no issues putting a couple of hundred hours into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Just saw this on reddit, apparently if you disable Game DVR it gives a noticable boost to the frame rate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

maximoose wrote: »
    Just saw this on reddit, apparently if you disable Game DVR it gives a noticable boost to the frame rate

Not really acceptable is it though? Having to disable core elements of the xbox OS to get a game to offer better frame rates? Having forked out €500 on the worlds most powerful console, to be getting 20-25 fps is an insult.

The games concept is genius and it does offer at its core, a unique experience but we are not looking at a game here that is new. It has been around since March 2017. This was massively pushed during E3 as a game to watch on the xbox one x, and what we get is a real mixed bag. The port is very very poor.

This is running on the Unreal 4 engine... one of, if not the best gaming engine out there. The game for the most part looks horrendous. Poor textures, clunky gameplay and poor fps.

Its the sad reality of gaming in todays world. Companies release unfinished games and then spend a long time trying to fix them on the go. Ubi and EA are the main companies that do this, its mad really. We keep buying into them, which just shows other companies, they can get away with it.

In a team, the game is alot of fun and if it was finished and running properly, it would be amazing, there is nothing really out there that offers the kind of experience this game does but for me at the moment it will be left on the top shelf.

Surely I am not the only one that sees this game, this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

after playing a few games of sold and then duo with a friend the game is a lot of fun. it is been compared to fortnite but it is not in the same vein. I felt tense playing games last night. I could hear gunfire and battles going on all around me. I made it to top 10 in one game the control scheme/inventory was my downfall. although more games I played faster I got with them. could not figure out how to aim down the sights in first person(it is double tap LT?)
    All in all this is a fun game, a little bit broken but still fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

logik wrote: »
    Its the sad reality of gaming in todays world. Companies release unfinished games and then spend a long time trying to fix them on the go.... if it was finished and running properly, it would be amazing,

But this is a bit different surely, as everyone who buys now is aware that this an unfinished game that they are buying at a reduced price as part of the preview program?

Now, if it stays in this shape when it is properly "released" then that's a joke.

I have never played it on PC, no idea how far it has come / improved since launch of early access there.

maximoose wrote: »
    But this is a bit different surely, as everyone who buys now is aware that this an unfinished game that they are buying at a reduced price as part of the preview program?

I would agree with your point but I would then like to point out that they game should have been released as a closed beta FREE of charge.

To charge 29.99 for an unfinished game just feels wrong. Even if it is in a Preview Program. We are opening the doors for other companies to follow suit. It will become to norm to hand over hard earned money for games that are only half finished.

It should be in beta with the intention of releasing in 2018 when bugs have been ironed out. Then people will have no problem paying for it.

It just think we are sometimes mugs for just handing over money. The game feels like an Alpha if I am honest.

no doubt they were afraid someone would get the jump on them, anyway im happy its released, initially disappointed but it really is a lot of fun for 20e, ill take that

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    no doubt they were afraid someone would get the jump on them, anyway im happy its released, initially disappointed but it really is a lot of fun for 20e, ill take that

I dont buy that sorry... The way the world works, if someone was to copy and paste this game they would be sued into oblivion. Epic only got away with their game because they have big enough differences.

They could have still released the game on xbox in a BETA stage for free. They should not have charged for it.

Charging people just screens either of 2 things to me.

1: They don't have the money or backing to actually finish the game properly
    2: They have no intention of finishing it properly and just want to cash in on it as best possible now before the cat is out of the bag.

Advertisement