Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not at chance of snow yet, its still 4C, temp needs to drop a good deal more before it turns to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Heavy hail shower on the border of D13/D17 20 minutes ago. Was headed out of Tesco with the window in the car down as I was smoking. Got a right wallop of hail in my face! D'oh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temp actually on the rise in Waterford City. Currently 7.0c. Would have expected it to be lower by now. Plenty of precipitation on the radar but feel it won't be the white stuff when it falls here.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Getting cooler here in West Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

Come on tempeatures drop!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Harps wrote: »
    It depends on a lot more than just the surface temp, the precip has to fall through 1000m+ of the atmosphere so if any significant part of it is above freezing then the snow will melt before it reaches the ground. Intensity is also important as heavier showers drag down cold air with them so the snowflakes can survive for longer. Same reasons it can snow above 0C and rain below it

Thanks for that explanation Harps. :)

Edit to add: We have snow, lovely big flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Just caught cycling in that thing which hit NW Dublin. Very sudden onset of icy rain then tremendous hail hit like a hammer. Had to stop couldnt see. Abated to gusty freezing cold rain for last 3km. Sheer hand agony when i got off. Soaked to the bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Heavy hail shower on the border of D13/D17 20 minutes ago. Was headed out of Tesco with the window in the car down as I was smoking. Got a right wallop of hail in my face! D'oh!

Helpful hint. Avoid getting blasted on your cheek by hail when smoking in the car .
    Close the door window and open the sunroof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Falling as sleet and some flakes of snow in a gusty wind. Sticking to the windscreen of the cars. 1.4C
    Collooney, Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Heavy shower of snow now kilmovee near knock airport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Sleet so far.
    DP of 0.3C so nearly there
    2.4C air temperature with a wind chill of -2.9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Helpful hint. Avoid getting blasted on your cheek by hail when smoking in the car .
    Close the door window and open the sunroof.

No sunroof. It happened when I was on a roundabout, so I was okay in short order. Will not be letting it happen again though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

IBMY 4c here in Dublin 4. I think with wind speed and direction we should see the temp drop a degree almost hourly. 1am is when i think any precip will fall as snow. But how much will make to the east? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew wrote: »
    More wind and hail in Sligo Town. Although forecasts for Snow fall has been pushed back till 2am, 50% chance at that, with a currently 80% chance at 7am, the way these forecasts are being pushed back, I'm gonna be driving to work in it.

5 minutes after making post had to go out. Wet snow falling, half of car and drive covered.

<switches off weather app, and reverts to lamp post watching>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nabber wrote: »
    IBMY 4c here in Dublin 4. I think with wind speed and direction we should see the temp drop a degree almost hourly. 1am is when i think any precip will fall as snow. But how much will make to the east? Who knows.

Thought dublin wasn't to get any in all the forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

full on west gale now. omfg!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Rain and very windy out here in waterford right now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

irish-stew wrote: »
    5 minutes after making post had to go out. Wet snow falling, half of car and drive covered.

<switches off weather app, and reverts to lamp post watching>

You know the rules, it didn't happen unless you've written your username in it & taken a photo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

-1.2 degC drop within the space of about 20min here, wind after calming down slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

jo06555 wrote: »
    Rain and very windy out here in waterford right now ...
    Some cracking showers alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Thought dublin wasn't to get any in all the forecasts
    could you post a link to something to back up that statement?I suspect,it's your misunderstanding.

Showers are so far easily making their way east.
    If they fall later as snow in the west,they'll do the same in the east.
    Had 2 showers so far this evening that delivered the rain equivalent of an inch and a half of snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heavy driving sleet in Galway, first wintry shower all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Very windy here sw wexford and a rescent shower of softish hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Crazy noise from hail here ,seen an opening aswell, nice big flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Heavy showers with hail and sleety rain 1.4 degrees and falling

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

dp finally o and tep 2.9

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Folks great up-date but any chance you can put in where your up-dating from for us using an iPhone as your location doesn't seem to show... For me anyway!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Some cracking showers alright!

Temp also has dropped from 7.0c to 4.9c in the last 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Temp 1c dp 0.6. Hail/ sleet laying now.

(Donegal Town)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Temp dropping in Arklow also.
    Air 3.5c
    dp 1.8c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement