Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European XC Championships

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Fantastic performance from our athletes. Heartbreaking for Fionnuala, and for the men's team: if I recall correctly, under the older system it used to be four runners to score, which would've gotten them the bronze.

One slightly sour note was the coverage/lack of coverage in today's papers. Ok, I wasn't expecting a feature on Adams State, but there were no interviews, and a quite demeaning photo on the cover of the Irish Times sports supplement. These are international standard elite athletes, yet the only way for front-page coverage is to have a photo-op 'jump' like they're doing a charity fun dip at Christmas. (I know, we're supposed to take our friends where we can find them, and any publicity for the Irish teams is better than none, but I feel there are achievements being diminished by this sort of coverage: why not a photo of the medal haul?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really doubt coverage in other countries was ignoring the athletes in 1st and 2nd place and were entirely focused on the Irish individual trying to win a a bronze and the team places.

TV pictures weren’t by RTE. They were by the international broadcaster. They chose to show the battle for 3rd more than the leader and second, not RTE

The Irish comms just spoke about what was on screen. They didn’t ignore anything IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really doubt coverage in other countries was ignoring the athletes in 1st and 2nd place and were entirely focused on the Irish individual trying to win a a bronze and the team places.

That's not what I said though was it?! :rolleyes:

I said the race for 3rd was the only medal up for grabs, as first and second were decided long before the race was over.

If your preference is to watch a "Turk" strolling on their own to another European title that's fine. My preference is watching an actual competition. Especially in cross country where times mean nothing, so someone destroying the field has even less meaning for the viewer than on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Africans running for European countries is kind of crazy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Africans running for European countries is kind of crazy ?

Depends on the Africans, many are genuine citizens and integrated into their new countries or asylum seekers. Some, such as the Turks are paid to transfer country and race and win medals despite not living or training in their new countries. The loophole has been partly closed by the IAAF but the current people are entitled to keep competing.

Regarding Efrem who competed for Ireland, anyone aware of his story and the conditions of life in Eritrea should not begrudge him his new start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

pconn062 wrote: »
    Depends on the Africans, many are genuine citizens and integrated into their new countries or asylum seekers. Some, such as the Turks are paid to transfer country and race and win medals despite not living or training in their new countries. The loophole has been partly closed by the IAAF but the current people are entitled to keep competing.

Regarding Efrem who competed for Ireland, anyone aware of his story and the conditions of life in Eritrea should not begrudge him his new start.

Similar to this I saw alot of negative comments regarding the Israeli Junior team

https://www.israel21c.org/alley-runners-helps-marginalized-kids-strive-for-the-pros/

Advertisement