Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Somme 1916

Options
  • 01-07-2016 2:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

100 years......
    Lest we forget

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

Incredibly moving tribute in public spaces across the UK today, groups of actors dressed in WW1 uniforms just silently standing around railway stations, parks, streets, occasionally bursting into haunting renditions of songs sung in the trenches. Anyone approaching a 'ghost soldier' was handed a card with the name a details of a fallen soldier.

I can't post links, but search for becausewearehere.co.uk/wearehere

Loads of images and videos on social media, hashtag #wearehere, but the site above is collecting them all in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

We WILL remember them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Annabella1

3500 brave Irish men died in the Somme
    Sadly brushed away by Irish history
    We should be having an official commeration in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Annabella1 wrote: »

There were military ceremonies held at the war memorial gardens in Dublin and the mall in Cork. There was an official ceremony in Belfast where Leo Varadkar represented the government. And Uachtarain name hEireann was at the main commemoration ceremony in the Somme. What else exactly were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

My grandad who was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

The wasted lives, and the reason was?

nhunter100 wrote: »
    The wasted lives, and the reason was?

A family at war. Three royal families, all cousins, and men on all sides were slaughtered because that family couldn't or wouldn't deal with their differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Here's the Centenary Commemoration Of The Battle Of The Somme at the National War Memorial Gardens yesterday:
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/rte-news-special-1516/10595962/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

You can keep saying that. Doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

By the time the offensive ended in November, the British had suffered around 420,000 casualties, and the French about 200,000. German casualty numbers are controversial, but may be about 465,000.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

tac foley wrote: »
    By the time the offensive ended in November, the British had suffered around 420,000 casualties, and the French about 200,000. German casualty numbers are controversial, but may be about 465,000.

tac

Are those figures "Casualties" (ie combination of dead and wounded) or "Fatalities"?

I quoted casualties in my post on casualties, so I'd take it that casualties was what was meant by my use of the word casualties in a casualty - ie. dead and injured AND missing NKG context.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

On this day one hundred years ago, 9 September, the Irish politician, soldier and poet Tom Kettle was killed in action at Guinchy during the Battle of the Somme.

Kettle was an Irish Parliamentary Party MP and advocate of Home Rule, but was a contemporary and friend of many of the Easter Rising leaders.

On sick leave in Ireland in the aftermath of the Rising he was offered a staff position on health grounds, but insisted on returning to the front in July 1916 out of loyalty to his comrades in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Four days before his death he wrote this sonnet as a farewell to his three year old daughter Elizabeth - the last two stanzas are carved into the plinth of his memorial in St Stephen's Green.

To My Daughter Betty, The Gift of God

In wiser days, my darling rosebud, blown
    To beauty proud as was your mother's prime,
    In that desired, delayed, incredible time,
    You'll ask why I abandoned you, my own,
    And the dear heart that was your baby throne,
    To dice with death. And oh! they'll give you rhyme
    And reason: some will call the thing sublime,
    And some decry it in a knowing tone.
    So here, while the mad guns curse overhead,
    And tired men sigh with mud for couch and floor,
    Know that we fools, now with the foolish dead,
    Died not for flag, nor King, nor Emperor,
    But for a dream, born in a herdsman's shed,
    And for the secret Scripture of the poor.

Tom Kettle, 1880-1916.

220px-Thomas_M._Kettle_memorial_in_St._Stephen%27s_Green_park%2C_Dublin%2C_Ireland.jpg

Thank you for posting that moving input.

So many poets and composers from these islands died in WW1 that it is hard to know where to begin to remember them all. One of my all-time favourite pieces of music, 'The banks of green willows' was penned by George Butterworth, shot by a sniper.

Who knows how many similarly-gifted artists that the world has missed, all but unknowing, on the other sides?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

tac foley wrote: »
    So many poets and composers from these islands died in WW1 that it is hard to know where to begin to remember them all. One of my all-time favourite pieces of music, 'The banks of green willows' was penned by George Butterworth, shot by a sniper.

Who knows how many similarly-gifted artists that the world has missed, all but unknowing, on the other sides?

tac

A.E. Housman's poem, "The Lads in Their Hundreds", was published about 20 years before WW I, but couldn't have been more prophetic. Along with the other poems in Housman's collection "A Shropshire Lad", it was set to music by Butterworth:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

My Great Great Grandfather Serjeant Thomas Joseph Russell.
    Killed in Action at the Battle of the Somme on the 29/04/1916 aged 35. 561 Soilders died that day.
    Army No.14513, B Coy, 8th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
    Buried at Loos Memorial cemetery, Loss-en-Gohelle, France.

Free-2-Flow - the Battle of the Somme did not start until July 1st 1916.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Plus, your great-great-grandfather's name appears on the Loos Memorial, which means that he has no known grave, but was killed in the vicinity of the Battle of Loos (but, from the date, not during the Battle itself, but six or seven months afterwards).

It is appalling to reflect that, though 561 soldiers died that day, it's not considered to have been part of any of the major battles of the war. That was a quiet day.

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote:
    Free-2-Flow - the Battle of the Somme did not start until July 1st 1916.

Yes my mistake TAC, He was killed at the Battle of Hulluch

Killed on April 29th 1916 at Hulluch, most likely gas as the Germans launched a major gas attack on the 27th and 29th

Remembered on panel 129

G*d bless him.

tac

Evening Herald, 03/06/1916.

Yes, Thank you Enfield, I have that, my real mission is to find the original photo.

I also just found out that my 3rd Great Uncle George Henry Chipperfield 8429 was killed on Oct 23rd 1916 at the Somme. 2nd Essex regiment

Killed on April 29th 1916 at Hulluch, most likely gas as the Germans launched a major gas attack on the 27th and 29th

Remembered on panel 129

My Grandfather suffered for years after that gas attack.

enfield wrote:
    Evening Herald, 03/06/1916.

Enfield, don't suppose you could do a newspaper search for me?

I dont know when I will be in the Library next, the Irish Newspapers Archives are free to use in the local studies section, what have you got in mind?

• Advertisement

enfield wrote:
    I dont know when I will be in the Library next, the Irish Newspapers Archives are free to use in the local studies section, what have you got in mind?

I'm looking for a similar photo of the one you found me, His brother James Russell, KIA July 4th 1916.

I may go down myself, wouldn't know my way around archives but.

Advertisement