Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Jumping" over the deflector disk scene in First Contact is just woeful

Options
  • 23-01-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

Just watched First Contact this afternoon for the 999th time. It's a pretty enjoyable movie with some good scenes for Picard and some pretty good CGI

However when Picard "jumps" over the deflector dish in "zero G" it just looks ridiculous. It always takes me out of the moment. He just floats along and even spins around 180 degrees hanging from his wire. :confused:
    Did anyone involved in making that scene have any basic notion of the laws of physics :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just watched First Contact this afternoon for the 999th time. It's a pretty enjoyable movie with some good scenes for Picard and some pretty good CGI

However when Picard "jumps" over the deflector dish in "zero G" it just looks ridiculous. It always takes me out of the moment. He just floats along and even spins around 180 degrees hanging from his wire. :confused:
    Did anyone involved in making that scene have any basic notion of the laws of physics :rolleyes:

You watched BOBW on Channel one too didn't ya!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭hogflem

They obviously forgot to employ a chinese fella to oversee the scene,and just shoved Picard arse over head towards the disk and hoped for the best,I did'nt see BOBW,on channel on but I did see the one where picard went to visit his brother,utter tripe it was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What?! Family was a classic episode! We actually get to see Picard cry for the first time! What a far cry from the stiff upper lip Picard of season one. We had real character growth in that one. Anyway Picard isn't much of an atheletic type, even though he's meant to be he's lost 99% of fights. But then he was the cerebral general, a mind removed dealing with galaxy wide variables so the action hero roles didn't suit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

What?! Family was a classic episode! We actually get to see Picard cry for the first time!
    Where is Facekicker when you need him? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Big scary cyborgs boring holes back in time and your getting hung up on Picard jumping across the deflector dish :p I think its called "science fiction" if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement

somuj wrote: »
    Big scary cyborgs boring holes back in time and your getting hung up on Picard jumping across the deflector dish :p I think its called "science fiction" if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, but to paraphrase Montgomery Scott, Ya cannae change the laws of physics

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Anyway Picard isn't much of an atheletic type, even though he's meant to be he's lost 99% of fights. In fairness to the man,he did give that Ferengi on "Captains Holiday"a rather masterful slapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭hogflem

What?! Family was a classic episode! We actually get to see Picard cry for the first time! What a far cry from the stiff upper lip Picard of season one. We had real character growth in that one. Anyway Picard isn't much of an atheletic type, even though he's meant to be he's lost 99% of fights. But then he was the cerebral general, a mind removed dealing with galaxy wide variables so the action hero roles didn't suit him.

Yeah I s'pose getting a second chance at life ,as it were,would be the making of most people,If I ever see that episode again I'll look at it with an open mind,and yes,he did give that Ferengi the back of his hand did'nt he!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Totally agree.
    'Best of Both Words' 1/2, 'Family' and 'Brothers' was a superb run of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

gatecrash wrote: »
    You watched BOBW on Channel one too didn't ya!! :)

****in A! I flicked over from the "Previously on Star Trek" bit of BOBW part 2 right to Jean Luc having his nasty dream at the start of First Contact. Now that's what I call good Sunday afternoon viewing! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Family was a classic episode!

+1
    The little "coda" at the end where Picards's nephew is looking at the stars is quite moving too

The little "coda" at the end where Picards's nephew is looking at the stars is quite moving too
    + 1

I couldn't help but think about Picard getting the bad news at the beginning of 'Generations'.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Family was a fantastic episode. Worf and his parents, Picard and his brother, amazing stuff.

To correct you, Picard cries in the first ever episode.

****in A! I flicked over from the "Previously on Star Trek" bit of BOBW part 2 right to Jean Luc having his nasty dream at the start of First Contact. Now that's what I call good Sunday afternoon viewing! :D:D:D

Yup, i hear ya!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Family was a fantastic episode. Worf and his parents, Picard and his brother, amazing stuff.

To correct you, Picard cries in the first ever episode.

Encounter at Farpoint? Which part?

I dont remember crying in the first ever ep
    BUT... In the first ever half-way-good ep of TNG ("Where no one has gone before" -the Traveller ep) he meets an image of his dear departed ol' ma, Riker interrupts him and the image vanishes. The look of pain and loss on Picard's face is very convincing and was the first indication that Stewart could really act.

wherenoone144.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:

why's it so bad? he would be attracted back to the ship by its gravity.
    the spinning is a bit harder to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

He clearly "jumps off" using only his right foot.

This imparts an anti-clockwise spin upon his body so we quite rightly see him spinning anti-clockwise as he traverses the deflector dish continuing in his initial direction maintaining his rate of yaw or angular velocity, as no other appreciable forces are acting on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Courtroom where Q accused humanity of being a savage race. Picard admittied they did bad things - thats when he gets teary eyed.

:confused:

why's it so bad? ...

It just looks totally mickey-mouse to my eyes, especially contrasted with the good CGI work ie where they march across the bottom of the saucer section to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

I dont remember crying in the first ever ep
    BUT... In the first ever half-way-good ep of TNG ("Where no one has gone before" -the Traveller ep) he meets an image of his dear departed ol' ma, Riker interrupts him and the image vanishes. The look of pain and loss on Picard's face is very convincing and was the first indication that Stewart could really act.

wherenoone144.jpg

Well I s'pose he did spend 27 years in the Royal Shakespeare company.

It just looks totally mickey-mouse to my eyes, especially contrasted with the good CGI work ie where they march across the bottom of the saucer section to get there.

I always thought they got the scale of that wrong, makes the ship out to be HUUUUUGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

gatecrash wrote: »
    I always thought they got the scale of that wrong, makes the ship out to be HUUUUUGE.

Ship scales in Trek varied all over the shop and were never particularly realistic IMO anyway. Mostly they seemed far too small

Ship scales in Trek varied all over the shop and were never particularly realistic IMO anyway. Mostly they seemed far too small

:D

ST-TNG_True_Q.jpg

Advertisement