Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Bank Fees & Charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Tried signing up to KBC but their app and website both crash out when trying to sign up. How is their app generally? Reliable?

Moving from Ulster Bank and their app was always great.

I am in the same boat! Had same issue when trying 2 sign up, turns out it's cos I have a mortgage with them! Ended up having 2 ring 2 sort it out as chat is customer service only!

Sales guy emailed me all the t&cs & ID request while on the phone! Am gonna miss the option 2 get cash out without my card tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I had issues with the app not recognising my driver's license. Got onto KBC chat and they said send details to accountopening@kbc.ie to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Tried signing up to KBC but their app and website both crash out when trying to sign up. How is their app generally? Reliable?

Moving from Ulster Bank and their app was always great.

Reliability has been very solid for me. There are periods of downtime but it's always notified in advance and usually in the dead of night at the weekends.

Just found there is a demo mode on the KBC app that you can try without logging in. That's a very awkward and busy user interface. Sounds like a silly consideration when picking banks but that would irk me for day-to-day banking!

Much prefer the clean apps from Revolut or N26, it's a pity N26 don't offer proper joint accounts yet as otherwise they look like a great choice.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I have a joint account with KBC that's free. Just need to pay one person's salary in each month.

If you have 2 independent and 1 joint account between a couple, can you bounce €2k between the 3 accounts each month to enable the free fees?

• Advertisement

Just found there is a demo mode on the KBC app that you can try without logging in. That's a very awkward and busy user interface. Sounds like a silly consideration when picking banks but that would irk me for day-to-day banking!

Much prefer the clean apps from Revolut or N26, it's a pity N26 don't offer proper joint accounts yet as otherwise they look like a great choice.

How do you access the demo mode?

curranbaz wrote: »
    How do you access the demo mode?

Top right on the home screen

GBX wrote: »
    Top right on the home screen

I'm not seeing a demo on Android app? Attached a screenshot of the home screen I get when opening the app!

I'm not seeing a demo on Android app? Attached a screenshot of the home screen I get when opening the app!

This is how it looks for me. I'm on Android.

I see the same as GBX, also on Android. You might need to update your app?

This is how the demo looks (attached).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

more than likely you will have just one tab or maybe two if you also have a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I wouldn't call Revolut clean. They keep changing the layout of the app. Try finding your vault to make a withdrawal. There's so much guff about partner discounts and buying crypto that it's hard to find stuff you need.

I wouldn't call Revolut clean. They keep changing the layout of the app. Try finding your vault to make a withdrawal. There's so much guff about partner discounts and buying crypto that it's hard to find stuff you need.

Its gotten very muddled indeed. Too much going on on the UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Exactly. I told me I had 81 euro in my spare change vault, I cannot for the life of me find the bloody thing the ui has become dreadful. Getting stupid notifications written in kid speak telling you where you spent your money... Pointless rubbish.

Fair enough - admittedly I haven't used it much since Covid so based that on an earlier version when it was simple and clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Fair enough - admittedly I haven't used it much since Covid so based that on an earlier version when it was simple and clean!

I miss that version...

I see the same as GBX, also on Android. You might need to update your app?

This is how the demo looks (attached).

Only downloaded it the other day, checked & it is the latest version from Nov 2020. Re-installed it just in case and same! Ah well, will have to wait till I get my account activated for real to test it out. Can close the account within 14 days if I really don't like it. :rolleyes:

In terms of choice it was either KBC or EBS/N26 so not much choice out there for free banking it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Transfermate have very good rates for fx transfers. It's an Irish company based in Kilkenny, very easy to deal with.

https://www.transfermate.com/

Thank you so much for this

If you have 2 independent and 1 joint account between a couple, can you bounce €2k between the 3 accounts each month to enable the free fees?

Can any current KBC customers confirm this?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The source of the funds has to be external to KBC. If you have a credit union account you might be able to bounce it there first and on to a KBC account.

• Advertisement

Good to know. That'll work, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I only have n26 and revolute now apart from a BOi credit card if I need to lodge cash or cheques I just lodge to that instead (maybe once a year at the most). .

Sorry to butt in - does your sentence mean that you can lodge cheques, presumably from a third party made out to Mr. Sheep Shagger, directly to your credit card and not have to go through your current account?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in - does your sentence mean that you can lodge cheques, presumably from a third party made out to Mr. Sheep Shagger, directly to your credit card and not have to go through your current account?

Yep, as long as the cheque is made out to the card holder you can lodge it. The few cheques I get go to my BOI Mastercard via one of their lodgement machines. I no longer have branch based bank account - I am 100% n26 and Revolut.

Am not 100% but you be able to lodge a cheque to a savings account too (most savings accounts are free of fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

That's what my wife does as her monthly wages under 2k so moves a small amount from her account to our joint account and then 3/4 days later back in to her own account to make up her 2k monthly lodgement.

Is the joint account also with KBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'm with KBC. I just changed after getting sick of paying for BOI to hold onto money for me.

The KBC Extra Current Account is fee free as someone else mentioned, as long as you lodge enough into it.

I also have savings accounts with them. Extra Regular Saver that needs regular deposits, and Standard Demand Account.

These accounts do this thing unheard of in the Irish banking market... they pay interest to me... as a proper bank should.

It's the only bank I found with fee free current accounts, and savings accounts that pay me interest without tying up my money for two years or more at a time.

I switched everything there. (Except my personal pension account.. but they do those too)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

KBCs savings interest is 0.01% on most accounts. Better than zero but you'll only notice it if you have quite a lot of money that maybe you should have doing else - obviously if you do need access to it at will that limits it.

I've moved my current account, savings account and mortgage to KBC now, not bothering with the credit card yet - have an Aercard but my work expense/reclaim spending has cratered so not really getting enough Avios to justify the fees. If we're still in a similar situation later in the year I'll move to any fee-free card that'll give me the limit I need, its paid off in full anyway so rates are irrelevant.

Pension is with my employers PRSA provider, don't think there's much to be gained from moving that anywhere else other than a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Is the joint account also with KBC?

All accounts with KBC yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Have you tried? Three months switching process and gave up. Questions were just insane. You can open a N26 account in 5 mins. KBC, 6 months of you're lucky

I opened my KBC accounts in about a week. (There was paperwork to do in my part, not a lot, but by law had to be done) then some by them.
    Once my accounts were open, I electronically transferred everything, changed my dd's and automatic payments, which took 2 days (BOI had a one-day lag in sending the payments) then closed have boi current and credit card accounts via online methods, and send a letter by post to close my savings account.
    It didn't take me three months.
    I was advised by someone who worked at KBC to do this, though. He said the switching process has some problems.
    Total switch time about two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The only real reason I need a non virtual account is the very rare time I get a cheque. Use Revolut for everything. Got one cheque from VHI recently when like other health insurance companies they gave people back money due to covid and lack of claims. Only one I can think of in the last year.

Do you have to accept a cheque? A lot of shops don't so can you refuse and ask companies to lodge to your account or is it not worth the hassle?

Advertisement