Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

Timetravel wrote: »
    mwat17 wrote: »
    Do you mean the old threads on here? Ie from old campaigns etc just read through them? Just getting to grips with this forum! Been a while since Ibe used one ha!

Yep. Take a read through the threads. There should be a thread for each part of the process if you take a look. If they aren't planning on starting the new campaign until April you have lots of time to read through and prepare.
    fab I'll be sure to get on that! I've been practicing the test loads...I'll be dreaming about IST's by April! 
    Someone has told me they expect you to run 5k in under 30 mins...which is grand, but I can't find that as a 'test' in the PCA... The PCA is a course that you need to complete in under 4 minutes as far as I'm aware.. no 5k test? Can't find anything on here or online to say otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pottergirl16

They expect the 5k/30mins at GV. It is not tested at application stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Homer... do you reckon that means the online application/IST won't happen until then or do they mean the stage after this won't happen until then? Or could we still be expecting the applications to be open in the next few weeks?

The way I read it is the applications open in April. So IST in May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

They expect the 5k/30mins at GV. It is not tested at application stage.

Hey Potter girl. I meant to say earlier. In regards to fitness, its good to have it and no doubt if you work hard you will be grand. Speaking from experience I think the most important thing to have is communication skills so as long as you have it you will get through most things you come up against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

What would you guys advice to help prepare for the IST ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

I downloaded the practice paper completed it. My missus then created me a couple a week based on the type of questions on the practice paper. Yeah, she's a keeper.

I also practiced on Scotland polices exam papers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

I've yet to meet anyone who had time to properly answer all 30 questions on the data sheet. 25 minutes absolutely flyes in.

Having passed it in 1309 this year I went in with a plan were i actually only answered 25 giving myself 1 minute per question roughly and coloured the last 5 in randomly rather than trying to rush it.

Might not be for everyone but worked great for me in 1509.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Razor3677 wrote: »
    What would you guys advice to help prepare for the IST ?

As above; the example papers for Police Scotland are quite good.

http://www.scotland.police.uk/recruitment/police-officers/selection-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 C19A8507

I applied in 1509 for the first time and got through until I failed my physical (nightmare)

I ended up missing out on I think 13 marks in total in my IST and at the risk of sounding like a bit of a prat after what Shanevendrell said above me I actually did have time to complete everything and even had a minute or so to check over at the end.

I honestly don't think there's a way to prepare for the test you're going to have because obviously you'll never know the questions beforehand but the practise test you're given is as close as you can get and the Scottish ones are helpful too. My best advice isn't about preparing but rather when you get in. Watching the clock is the worst thing to do, it will only freak you out and make you nervous. Be aware of the time but don't count the seconds that will only distract you. Don't second guess yourself - the questions are designed to be hard but not excruciatingly difficult so if you think you're right don't start asking yourself "what if it's a trick question?". Go with your gut and move on. I find that with multiple choice questions working it out before I even read the options made me more confident because then when my answer was a choice I felt more secure that I was right and when the test was over I didn't worry as much. It really is just all about coping well under time pressure and dealing with your nerves.

And like it's been mentioned already - you aren't negatively marked in a multiple choice question so if you're running out of time just fill anything in!

It's really not as bad as it seems. Nerves kind of took over me at every stage but the waiting is really the only rough bit. The rest is fine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Thanks guys for all the tips and advice, im sure it will help all of us newbies when the campaign commences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

As C19A said above.. the nerves...
    I barely passed on IST, I'm good with maths and English and practiced a lot on true, false, can't tell tests. The nerves just hit me and I blanked... confidence is the key and if I did it again id be sure Id pass.

Oh and make sure if you don't have time to finish, fill in an answer for every question... I barely passed and Im certain yhe fact i did is down to a few lucky guesses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

C19A8507 wrote: »
    I applied in 1509 for the first time and got through until I failed my physical (nightmare)

I ended up missing out on I think 13 marks in total in my IST and at the risk of sounding like a bit of a prat after what Shanevendrell said above me I actually did have time to complete everything and even had a minute or so to check over at the end.

I honestly don't think there's a way to prepare for the test you're going to have because obviously you'll never know the questions beforehand but the practise test you're given is as close as you can get and the Scottish ones are helpful too. My best advice isn't about preparing but rather when you get in. Watching the clock is the worst thing to do, it will only freak you out and make you nervous. Be aware of the time but don't count the seconds that will only distract you. Don't second guess yourself - the questions are designed to be hard but not excruciatingly difficult so if you think you're right don't start asking yourself "what if it's a trick question?". Go with your gut and move on. I find that with multiple choice questions working it out before I even read the options made me more confident because then when my answer was a choice I felt more secure that I was right and when the test was over I didn't worry as much. It really is just all about coping well under time pressure and dealing with your nerves.

And like it's been mentioned already - you aren't negatively marked in a multiple choice question so if you're running out of time just fill anything in!

It's really not as bad as it seems. Nerves kind of took over me at every stage but the waiting is really the only rough bit. The rest is fine! :)

On contrary practicing will make it easier trust me. I tried to wing it in the 1405 campaign but then woumd my neck in and got stuck into practicing for the 1509 campaign and practicing bloody helped.

Practicing is not about getting better at them its about getting comfortable with working quickly and accurately and aslo finding the method that works for you and then battering it i to your brain so it becomes 2nd nature. Has added benefit pf allowing you to mentality sort and cross reference large amounts of i formation at A/C. Time spent preparing is rarely wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 C19A8507

C19A8507 wrote: »

On contrary practicing will make it easier trust me. I tried to wing it in the 1405 campaign but then woumd my neck in and got stuck into practicing for the 1509 campaign and practicing bloody helped.

Practicing is not about getting better at them its about getting comfortable with working quickly and accurately and aslo finding the method that works for you and then battering it i to your brain so it becomes 2nd nature. Has added benefit pf allowing you to mentality sort and cross reference large amounts of i formation at A/C. Time spent preparing is rarely wasted.

I hope no one reads my post and thinks I meant not to prepare! I absolutely think preparing is important and like I said the practice papers are great :) I just meant that the best advice I could give here was more about what I found helpful while I was doing it rather than beforehand because I think the only thing you can do before is the old papers!

repetition repetition repetition

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Smilo89

My IST advice....

DON'T panic!

1st section...try and get as many of the 20 as you can...don't hesitate over a word etc...move on...get the next one. Then start from the start again.

2nd section....READ the statement (my friend was very confident to just skim over it...didn't work out so well)

3rd section...Data Sheets, first instinct. PANIC! But don't...Data sheets are NOT designed to be finished. It is all about accuracy not quantity!

There are couple of good books you can get that give you true/false practice...when I find them Later I'll post the names :)

Good luck to all...and have patience I've been waiting since 2014, after a knock at PCA in my first campaign, I got up, went out and ran for my career. Now awaiting "the call" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Is the IST negative marking or are you best to fill in as many answers as you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Smilo89

blueboat wrote: »
    Is the IST negative marking or are you best to fill in as many answers as you can?

No negative marking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

I'm currently in the waiting room but way back then I was never really sure on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Smurfmaster1

Hey guys, new member here. Final year student hoping to apply when recruitment opens. Been reading everyone's comments so far, really helpful! Look forward to reading more here during the buildup to April.

Anyone else think suspended recruitment to april to make sure the merit pool was clear by the time the successful folk from the 2017 campaign are being processed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Anyone else think suspended recruitment to april to make sure the merit pool was clear by the time the successful folk from the 2017 campaign are being processed?

What do you mean?

I meant to say is clear.

I believe that the recruitment for the 1704 campaign was pushed back until april in order to make sure that everyone in the current merit pool has been cleared I.e. everyone on it has been appointed, disqualified or has declined. They expect the high scorers to be appointed after a year. This gives the PSNI a 16 month window with a 3 1/2 margin of error to get those on the current merit list through the waiting room.

To be honest if that is true, its a sound plan that appeases as many people as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

Just wondering as well guys...I heard word that Belfast Harbour Police are recruiting? I've been checking on the site and nothing for the past month. I can't find anything recent on here about it, unless someone could link me to something I'm missing please?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

Just wondering as well guys...I heard word that Belfast Harbour Police are recruiting? I've been checking on the site and nothing for the past month. I can't find anything recent on here about it, unless someone could link me to something I'm missing please?

They only recruited last year or the year before I believe and it was only for a few jobs.

If they are it will be posted here: https://www.belfast-harbour.co.uk/corporate/careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Police officer shot in north Belfast
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38712776

Tramps

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SN.Nibs

On the plus side my friend is currently in GV. They now give you your district while in garnaville at the start so at least if your successful you'll know where your going from the start of training.
    Gutted the applications have been put back to April though feels like a lifetime away.

If my theory is correct then having the applications pushed back till april actually works in our favour as we will only be competing with our own campaign for places on the merit list as opposed to a merit list consisting of three other campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Smurfmaster1

Hey guys,

New member here, so sorry if I've missed anything. Read about the guidebooks to avoid from this post, however have heard from (name censored! - North Coast) who offers training and advice surrounding the application process. They have said the training into the application process has a full refund if the application is not successful. Just wanted to know everyones opinions on this. Is it worth consulting with an ex-officer or just best researching myself? 

Thanks for everyones help so far on this thread.

Advertisement