Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I suspect there will be a bit more activity on the airwaves when Pope FM has finished.

Is Energy AM the only oldies-oriented pirate these days? Have all the others gone or will Retro be back?

By the way, I have noticed a lot more live broadcasts over the last three weekends on Energy. And they appear to have gained more presenters since late 2017 when they started doing their joint broadcasts with other stations (remember Fun Radio?).

For the pure hobby horse radio operators, as opposed to those who want to promote dance events or themselves, maybe they should consider MW again. After all, RTE is gone from there and it is a very rare event that temporary licences are allocated any medium wave frequencies. There would be none of the present situation where stations on FM have to temporarily close down or look for alternative frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I suspect there will be a bit more activity on the airwaves when Pope FM has finished.

Is Energy AM the only oldies-oriented pirate these days? Have all the others gone or will Retro be back?

By the way, I have noticed a lot more live broadcasts over the last three weekends on Energy. And they appear to have gained more presenters since late 2017 when they started doing their joint broadcasts with other stations (remember Fun Radio?).
    I've heard a carrier and some oldies on 92.0 the odd time over the last week or two, but only very briefly. I presume it was Retro testing so I'm sure they are still around.

On this note, has anybody actually heard any local tests for the frequencies allocated to the Pope? They were meant for the RDS, Croke Park, Aviva Stadium & Phoenix Park. Or have they abandoned the plan to use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

castle2012 wrote: »
    Think Now fm are gone. Haven't heard them on the radio in over a week

Still very active on social media, by the looks of the brand their creating it looks like they are really gonna give it a go, lets see what happens after the pope fecks off.

You can see on TV that the audience at venues (e.g. Dublin castle) were given radios and headphones to listen to translations of the Popes speeches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

Think Now fm are gone. Haven't heard them on the radio in over a week

Now FM not gone. They are full energy streaming online.

https://www.liveradio.ie/stations/now-fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 HeyFrankie

Now FM not gone. They are full energy streaming online.

https://www.liveradio.ie/stations/now-fm

Why is Hot FM shown on the front page of LiveRadio.ie? Makes no sense as it is listed with all the licensed stations and the stream has not worked for at least a few weeks.

HeyFrankie wrote: »
    Why is Hot FM shown on the front page of LiveRadio.ie? Makes no sense as it is listed with all the licensed stations and the stream has not worked for at least a few weeks.

LiveRadio front page is generated automatically. It shows most listened (visited) Irish radio stations in the last 24 hours.

After multiple contacts, HOT FM team says they will be back streaming online.

We wish them good luck and looking forward hearing them soon!!!

Fair enough, but I think your system should exclude stations from the front page where the stream was not working. It just improves the user experience. Hot may have a high number of visits due to people checking if the stream is working again.

Fair point. I temporary exclude HOT FM Dublin as their stream is down for the last 3 weeks.

As soon they get back, we will relist them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Fair point. I temporary exclude HOT FM Dublin as their stream is down for the last 3 weeks.

As soon they get back, we will relist them.
    There on 91.0 automated for the last number of weeks. Also they broadcast on Facebook most evenings but not on fm or by stream. What a very strange way to do business

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Good to hear Phever back on air during the day. Kiss FM on 93.2 also back - I can't seem to find any online presence for them at all.

FK back on hot fm this evening. You could see loads of people complaining about the signal on 91.0fm in Dublin. On Facebook live. FK just seemed to ignore the comments

FK back on hot fm this evening. You could see loads of people complaining about the signal on 91.0fm in Dublin. On Facebook live. FK just seemed to ignore the comments

Yup the signal is as crap as the station. He doesn't care though. As far as I'm aware he has no one else involved now but himself and Lorraine Doyle.

There on 91.0 automated for the last number of weeks. Also they broadcast on Facebook most evenings but not on fm or by stream. What a very strange way to do business

Hot FM Dublin is back online!

Stream available https://www.liveradio.ie/stations/hot-fm-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it came back on earlier today. sounds a lot better then previously.
    frank was on earlier, i presume he was on 91.0 as well. ld not being carried via the stream, i presume she isn't on 91.0 either. there is a second stream carying her show only. http://91.121.178.222:8746/listen.pls

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I'm tuned to their fm frequency as we speak. Must have fixed their antenna as it's clearer. But the audio is simply shocking. Really bad. Audio is repeating itself also. I'm blocked from their Facebook so I can't see if they are broadcasting via live but I assume they are.

All other pirates sounding great!

Trax & Phever, are tops as always! Followed by Now FM & Kiss FM.

Then you tune back to Hot. Audio sounds like it's coming through a telephone. Embarrassing stuff.

just had a check and ld is now being caried on the main stream. agreed the audio sounds like a low bitrate mp3 stream. presumably using a very low setting/bitrate on the facebook live thing. they are then using it to link to everything.

They cant be using Facebook live for the FM. Facebook cut the audio all the time on them due to violations. Sounds like Frank/Lorraine each have some sort of secondary low quality/cheap/free online stream they use. This is then relayed on FM and seems badly processed or unprocessed. The FM remains in mono.

They cant be using Facebook live for the FM. Facebook cut the audio all the time on them due to violations. Sounds like Frank/Lorraine each have some sort of secondary low quality/cheap/free online stream they use. This is then relayed on FM and seems badly processed or unprocessed. The FM remains in mono.
    Just tuned in online there now. Quality seems much better then before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I happened to turn on Spin 1038 tonight and the guy was talking about how great Hot FM was back in the day and the co-presenter said "stop plugging another radio station" to which he replied "Why can't I? That station is long dead!". I just had to laugh to myself. I'm sure the producers had a few words during the ad break.

I think you may be right there, they could be using multiple Shoutcast servers to link it all up. Either way it still sounds awful, specially in this day and digital age. That's what happens when you have no one technical involved. Their stream was 128k MP3 originally now it's only 48k AAC.

At the end of the day FK is all about the money, among other things. Their latest gig says it all. New tactics.

Just tuned in online there now. Quality seems much better then before

when the automation is on the audio is better. it's whatever is being used to link from wherever the shows are being done that is the issue.
    I think you may be right there, they could be using multiple Shoutcast servers to link it all up. Either way it still sounds awful, specially in this day and digital age. That's what happens when you have no one technical involved. Their stream was 128k MP3 originally now it's only 48k AAC.

At the end of the day FK is all about the money, among other things. Their latest gig says it all. New tactics.

do you mean the tickets now being for 10 euro rather then 20 as previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

.....I'm blocked from their Facebook.....

:pac::pac:

What did you do?

do you mean the tickets now being for 10 euro rather then 20 as previously?

Probably referring to what is happening at the next Hot event at Turks Head. FK is having girls in school uniforms and a wet t-shirt competition. Hmmm.

:pac::pac:

What did you do?

Ha ha! Probably my negative comments and reactions I guess. But they weren't that bad.

And yes HeyFrankie knows what I mean. If it was any other pirate having a gig like that I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. But he's behind it...

OK, busy band in Dublin today. Below are the signal measurements I was getting using a non-directional external antenna in Leixlip.

87.6 - Chill FM - 38dB
    88.1 - PVR - 39dB
    91.0 - HOT FM - 43dB
    91.6 - NOW FM - N/A
    92.0 - RETRO FM - 38dB
    99.5 - FRESH FM - 21dB
    107.1 - TRAX - 45dB

I have also recorded a random 1 minute of each of the above and uploaded it to the link below (WAV and MP3 versions available). Audio is unprocessed - it's straight from the tuner.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r2blbljgaukaxk1/AABVmc11OCkDzEXQd1tU8_ica?dl=0

I was unable to record NOW FM as the signal was too weak in my area. Hot FM were transmitting in mono and also without RDS, and I could only get Fresh FM in mono but I believe they do transmit in stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

JDxtra wrote: »
    OK, busy band in Dublin today. Below are the signal measurements I was getting using a non-directional external antenna in Leixlip.

87.6 - Chill FM - 38dB
    88.1 - PVR - 39dB
    91.0 - HOT FM - 43dB
    91.6 - NOW FM - N/A
    92.0 - RETRO FM - 38dB
    99.5 - FRESH FM - 21dB
    107.1 - TRAX - 45dB

I have also recorded a random 1 minute of each of the above and uploaded it to the link below (WAV and MP3 versions available). Audio is unprocessed - it's straight from the tuner.

I was unable to record NOW FM as the signal was too weak in my area. Hot FM were transmitting in mono and also without RDS, and I could only get Fresh FM in mono but I believe they do transmit in stereo.

Almost everytime I lock into Now FM it’s playing Calvin Harris’s “One Kiss”. Mod a bit high also

JDxtra wrote: »

87.6 - Chill FM - 38dB
    88.1 - PVR - 39dB
    91.0 - HOT FM - 43dB
    91.6 - NOW FM - N/A
    92.0 - RETRO FM - 38dB
    99.5 - FRESH FM - 21dB
    107.1 - TRAX - 45dB

Almost everytime I lock into Now FM it’s playing Calvin Harris’s “One Kiss”. Mod a bit high also
    Have to say tuned into now fm in Dublin. And I have to say very disappointing there audio and the strenght of there signal. Giving the guys behind it, I expected much better

• Advertisement

We live in an online world, so for completeness I've dumped a one minute sample of the online streams into the same folder. Again, unprocessed raw dumps.

Phever, Trax, Chill FM, Retro and Fresh FM (a relay of Dance One Radio) are all using MP3 @ 128 kbps. Now FM is using MP3 @ 192 kbps. Hot FM is using HE-AAC @ 48 kbps.

Advertisement