Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2019, 16:21   #1
Hammer89

What'll we do with our dead?

Let's call a spade a spade: graveyards won't last, will they? We're a godless generation, us Milennials. Has there ever been another generation as detached from religion as us? Potentially not, and if that's the case, which it might well be, then how is this not going to have a knock-on effect for traditional, Christian burials?

Funeral and burial preferences have changed quite a lot. There was a time when cremation was a bit bold in the eyes of the church, a bit un-Christian-like, but now 33% of dead people are opting for this. This highlights a detachment even in non-Millenials, so how different could the landscape be in 40 or 50 years, when it's our time to go?

I appreciate that it's popular for the ashes of deceased people to be buried in graveyards to this day, but there's a chance we'll move further away from this in time, as people grow less sentimental over the idea of being buried with their loved ones. It's a lovely idea and I've nothing wrong with it obviously, but I don't think my generation will draw the same warmth and solace from it as our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.

Who knows lads, but what I do know - or at least think - is that graveyards are f*cked. I'm not sure they'll physically go anywhere, but I do think the business side of them will suffer in the long run.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 16:23   #2
pleas advice

Dig up, stupid
10-01-2019, 16:25   #3
El Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer89 View Post
...It's a lovely idea ...
Yes. Lovely.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 16:26   #4
Mr. Incognito

Send a message via Skype™ to Mr. Incognito
They will all rot when they fall during the Millenial Plague
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 16:26   #5
orourkeda1977

You can burn my fat ass.

You could run the national grid for a week off it.
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 16:27   #6
Deebles McBeebles

Bring out your dead.
10-01-2019, 16:28   #7
Aegir

Breaking news:

A two seat Cessna has crashed in a cemetery in Kerry.

A Garda spokesperson has said 26 bodies have been recovered so far, but more are expected as digging goes on in to the night.
10-01-2019, 16:28   #8
Zorya

Cremation for me and ashes into the Atlantic sailing westwards. I have heard though that there is a problem with the ashes from cremation - very alkaline they are. And millions and millions of people's ashes might be a problem for soil.

Graveyards are a bit spooky. The whole thing about liquifying and decomposing in a box...yuck. But you know, each to their own. We have plenty of space for graveyards in Ireland as we have low population density. Might be better to have grave forests though and bury bodies in shrouds under trees.

As an alternative bring back wolves and build excarnation platforms, and maybe the animals will drag off the bones and deal with them. Hmmm.
10-01-2019, 16:34   #9
Gravelly

I've often wondered if burial will fall victim to the environmentalists - all those bodies in the ground are surely keeping some tree-hugger awake at night, worrying about polluting the water table, releasing CO2 and all that. Not to mention all the wood used in making coffins. All it will take is one millenial to float the idea that he wants his remains draped over a tree to feed the animals, and they'll all be at it.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 16:36   #10
oLoonatic

Graveyards always seemed a waste to me for both space and cost, i want the cheapest possible funeral. I've already made it very clear to cremate me and do as they wish with my ashes.
10-01-2019, 16:38   #11
topper75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorya View Post
Cremation for me and ashes into the Atlantic sailing westwards.
Sailing westwards? Nope. Prevailing winds here mean you will end up stuck in some kid's icecream on a bleak Lahinch promenade. So in that respect you will live on.
10-01-2019, 16:39   #12
randd1

Wouldn't it be better just to put people into the ground in paper garments and just let nature take it's course?

Heard of this idea years ago of planting seeds with the body, and using the nutrients from decomposing body to grow trees or crops. Not a bad way to go.
10-01-2019, 16:45   #13
Ten of Swords

The future: Put a poll on social media listing 4 or 5 methods of disposal and whichever gets the most likes and shares is chosen and live streamed.
10-01-2019, 16:46   #14
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My friend wants to be buried at sea. It’s allowed in Ireland, but there are rules. You need a permit. Your corpse needs to be tagged so that they know who you are and that you aren’t a murder victim if you’re washed up. Your coffin needs to be weighted but contain holes to make sure it sinks. Or I think you can go sans coffin, if you want.
10-01-2019, 16:50   #15
Aegir

Burn me and stick my ashes in the sea, or scatter them anywhere, i don't care.

I don't want anyone to feel obliged to come to a bleak, wet cemetery on my birthday, Christmas etc. and put flowers on my grave.
(5) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion