Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EMail getting logged at work???

Options
  • 08-12-1999 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

While I was annoying the muppets with UN Declarations of Human Rights (see quake board) I came accross this right...

Article 12
    No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Read the first and last sentences again...

Now these laws are "inalienable" meaning you cannot willingly sign them away or declare them defunct. They apply to you because you are human.

I wonder how companies can claim that they can check your email at work so....

I understand you sign a disclaimer stating that you wont use email from their company in a defamatory way however thats different from the interception/reading of your mail.

Perhaps there is some way you can sign away the permission for them to read it but I dont think that would stand up if you tested it in court...

Interesting...

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

guess in the work situation it works both ways really...

You shouldn't use work to send personal emails so they can say they check ure email for that reason.
    or for the reason that in case they get a complaint about an email you sent.
    or that u're not supposed to be online.....
    or that u claimed u did send that email...yet they can check and see if you are doign ure work or not..which gives reason for dismissal i fink

But on your side......you can say well i didn't mean to send that mail, it was a joke, .....i sent my mail from another computer (therfore diff name)........

Altho...i don't know how it can really be seen as an invasion of privacy...you should only be sending work related emails and times required.
    If the company found evidence of this then they have reason enough to read ure mail.

Swings and roundabouts.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Your right, it was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

again it revolves around the medium. You are using company resources not yours, so they are well within thier right to check/monitor/etc.

However the advantage of knowing that your mail is being check is... well that you know they are are going to read whatever you write.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

not if u have a HTML based e-mail a/c
    power to hotmail and yahoo.
    **** the powers that be
    viva la revolution
    bla bla
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

El Pres gifted us with:
    >Your right, it was annoying. (sic)

You're right, you are annoying.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Quite correct Mickah smile.gif unless of course your going through a proxy server in work in which case they can log everything you do and monitor it.

Advertisement