Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle routes around Torremolinos

Options
  • 11-06-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all

Heading on holidays at end of month and will have a (road) bike for a few days. Can anyone recommend some routes I can download to my garmin before heading over?
    50-100km routes with a variation of climbing and flatish.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

A while since I was there but some lovely cycling around there once you get under the motorway and out into the countryside, the route below is possibly a bit longer than you want but if you have a look on my strava the few days either side there's other options.

https://www.strava.com/activities/213878281

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

try some of the Vuelta routes they were down that part of the world last year but you may a lift out to one or two points to escape the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Was in Fuengirola (to the South) the last few years,and just headed inland up to Mijas or up to Alhaurin/Coin direction,once off the main roads it's quite enjoyable.
    I'd avoid the N340 'Highway of Death' at all costs,it runs between the resorts and is rammed with cars/traffic lights/junctions and no hard shoulder.
    If you head inland out of Torremolinos and just South of the airport then there's a whole network of roads in and around Alhaurin de la Torre,and some nice loops.
    Bring a GPS unit as the signposting isn't that good in places.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

+1 to the above. I once hired a bike in Arroyo de la Miel (Benalmadena) for 19 euro for the day, and went towards the Benalmadena village, Budhist stupa, and further up into Mijas, and then went beyond the hill that you see from the coast, and thru Coin, Alhaurin el Grande, Alhaurin de la torre, back towards airport and down to Torremolinos and back to Benalmadena along the marina (which was full of people strolling along, so that was part was just sight seeing / dodging people)

Around Mijas it's stunning. Amazing roads, ups and down, not a lot of traffic, beautiful scenery all around, inexpensive but delicious food stops.. ah it's heaven.

I think there was a GCN epic ride from there somewhere, might be worth looking at the route they did.

And if you need more hills explore more towards Ronda perhaps - that's an amazing destination by itself. Road to there from Marbella (A-397) is probably one of the best motorcycling roads in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Great stuff, will pull a few routes together from suggestions above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Make sure you do the climb up to the TV mast over Mijas. Tough climb but fantastic views and almost no traffic.

Advertisement