Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ship watches abroad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry, I didn't mean anything to do with Brexit - the problem isn't about customs, it's about being able to fully insure the package. I can put "time keeping equipment" as the description, but if it does come to a claim, that won't do me much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Eoin wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean anything to do with Brexit - the problem isn't about customs, it's about being able to fully insure the package. I can put "time keeping equipment" as the description, but if it does come to a claim, that won't do me much good.

You need one of the insurance cos Eoin

I use ifo infosure I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’m posting a watch to Italy tomorrow morning. It’s a seiko samurai so not big money. Should i just post with An Post recorded delivery?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Italy has a bad reputation for valuables being posted in, courier might be safer. Post out from Italy is ok.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus wrote: »
    You need one of the insurance cos Eoin

I use ifo infosure I think

Thanks - as I expected, it sounds like it's tough to arrange for the very occasional shipment then.

UPS got back to me and said they will send a watch up to $2K, so I guess that's an option, if you're willing to gamble on the balance over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks - as I expected, it sounds like it's tough to arrange for the very occasional shipment then.

UPS got back to me and said they will send a watch up to $2K, so I guess that's an option, if you're willing to gamble on the balance over that.

i set up an account pretty easily and only use it once or twice a year to be honest but maybe its changed a little .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

https://www.secursus.com/

No experience with them but they insure packages up to 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

The look ok. Would need to read terms closely.

Some key points below

69-BAC17-E-5742-424-C-8048-E81-F4-A4-F2288.jpg

7-DA161-B7-0-AB4-4-BA6-9738-DE07-EDF8-A6-E0.jpg

E4069-C4-C-CC82-4-EDB-A5-F9-6297-FBBC8-ECF.jpg

photos upload website

• Registered Users Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for the breakdown there 893.
    The Hermes exception on the Insurance would give me serious pause for thought if I was shipping anything above that 1k limit.

They are notorious in the UK for issues and there was a BBC exposé not too long ago regarding their auctioning of lost packages with clearly legible labels, being sold rather than delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Yeah if I was shipping a watch to the UK I'd be making sure Hermes are not the ones doing the delivery.

• Advertisement

They are also notorious for signing for you and tossing the parcel on the porch. In which case you would be in trouble.

Also in the Covid world there is no signing so......

There are a lot of get out clauses in the terms.....! Much better to have the insurance by the same carrier but that’s a real challenge.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    https://www.secursus.com/

No experience with them but they insure packages up to 100k

Interesting! If they're legit (prob hard to find reviews from someone who's had to claim from them), then this looks perfect.
    893bet wrote:
    Some key points below

So sounds like avoid Hermes, and make sure the buyer opens the package in the presence of the courier?

So sounds like avoid Hermes, and make sure the buyer opens the package in the presence of the courier?

yup. Difficult to do. Will the courier wait? Or can you sign to say not checked

Also you need a valuation prior to shipping and it seems proof of payment for the item. So if the RRP is 7000 and the valuation shows this, and you only paid 4 k then you will only get the 4k.

This is the kinds of insurance that is great to have until you need. Can see a night mare claim process but maybe I am overthinking.

If I do end up selling my PAM outside of Ireland, happily I have both an insurance valuation and a receipt from chrono24.
    893bet wrote:
    Can see a night mare claim process but maybe I am overthinking.

This is exactly it - with this kind of thing, you don't want to tick a box, you want complete confidence that you won't be out of pocket should something unfortunate happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just posted a watch to the UK the other day. Had no problem at all.

The only one of the main carriers who dont seem to have a problem with watches/jewellery are DHL. Their T&Cs specifically allow them to be shipped and insured up to a value of £4,000. Its not cheap tho, 1% of the value. A €3,000 watch will cost you €30 just for the insurance bit, but still better than sweating over it and potentially losing the watch.

Just posted a watch to the UK the other day. Had no problem at all.

The only one of the main carriers who dont seem to have a problem with watches/jewellery are DHL. Their T&Cs specifically allow them to be shipped and insured up to a value of £4,000. Its not cheap tho, 1% of the value. A €3,000 watch will cost you €30 just for the insurance bit, but still better than sweating over it and potentially losing the watch.

Interesting, I went in there in person a couple years ago and they wouldn't accept a watch, but maybe the guy there just wasn't arsed. I've signed up online and will see how far I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Interesting, I went in there in person a couple years ago and they wouldn't accept a watch, but maybe the guy there just wasn't arsed. I've signed up online and will see how far I get.

Just go to DHL and find their list of prohibited items. It specifically says watches/jewellery over £4,000. And they offer insurance for those <= £4,000 items. Wasn't cheap but item was in the UK next day safe and sound.

Just go to DHL and find their list of prohibited items. It specifically says watches/jewellery over £4,000. And they offer insurance for those <= £4,000 items. Wasn't cheap but item was in the UK next day safe and sound.

Perfect, thank you! That's still likely a ton cheaper than what I paid Mailboxes Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Will never ship a watch standard post again.

Sold my Orient on Adverts three weeks ago, he hammered me on the price, offered €80 standard post or €90 registered. Of course they took the cheapest option... 2 weeks of capital letter messages later, logged a claim with An Post last Friday and it magically appears on Monday.

Nightmare.

OK, I don't know how I didn't try this before (prob because they told me to FRO when I went into them in person), but this was incredibly easy to do online.

Cost was just over 100 to the UK, fully insured.

Many thanks!

Edit: successfully delivered the next day, great service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement