Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OpenStreetMap map of Dublin Bus Routes

• 16-09-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

OpenStreetMap of Dublin Bus routes

OpenStreetMap is a free wiki map of the world. It's trying to do for maps what Wikipedia did for encyclopedias. People can add all sorts of map-y data to it, and people have started adding bus routes. There's only a few at the moment, but hopefully we add more!

Beginner's Guide to OpenStreetMap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Done better here - fully complete

http://mkmap.com/dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Steviemak wrote: »

Well actually there are quite a few changes to that map now and speaking as someone who spent quite some time (I was sick at home and had some time on my hands!) drawing the routes on it I'd love to update it - however there is no contact details for whoever set the thing up and it is impossible to delete the existing routes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

"Better" is a matter of perspective. The mkmap version is an overlay on top of the (notionally complete, but very imperfect and impossible to update yourself) Google map.

OSM is not yet complete (for either the streets or the bus routes) but with full user control over the contents. Let's keep watching and see which one proves more useful, shall we?

Shameless plug: There will be a presentation on OpenStreetMap at OSS Bar Camp this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

KC61 wrote: »
    drawing the routes on it I'd love to update it - however there is no contact details for whoever set the thing up and it is impossible to delete the existing routes!!!

You can contribute to OSM. See the link I posted above for getting start with OSM.
    mackerski wrote: »
    "Better" is a matter of perspective. The mkmap version is an overlay on top of the (notionally complete, but very imperfect and impossible to update yourself) Google map.

Here here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I kind of wanted to point people to a more complete map in case they were actually wanting to look up a route.

OSM when fully complete will have the advantage of its update functionality however if all routes remain red and are overlaid on each other it will be very difficult to distinguish a route. Will there be a route pick function that allows only one route to be highlighted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a spurious piece of 145 in Sandymount.

The mountain route thign isn't named.

Different colours are needed.

I kind of wanted to point people to a more complete map in case they were actually wanting to look up a route.
    Dublin Bus have added a google map of all their bus stops for each route. So you can get it straight from the horses mouth.

Victor wrote: »
    There is a spurious piece of 145 in Sandymount.
    Yeah it was only when looking at this map that I noticed that. I've fixed it in the OSM database but the map hasn't updated yet.
    The mountain route thign isn't named.
    that's the Dublin mountaineer route. It doesn't have a number, and that's what that map uses.
    OSM when fully complete will have the advantage of its update functionality however if all routes remain red and are overlaid on each other it will be very difficult to distinguish a route. Will there be a route pick function that allows only one route to be highlighted?
    Different colours are needed.

Yeah I agree, it's not the best way to do it.

ceret wrote: »
    You can contribute to OSM. See the link I posted above for getting start with OSM.

Part of the problem with these things is that people put up the bits that they know about without looking at the entire route. The 145 goes all the way to Kilmacanogue - not just Bray as per OSM!!

You also need to have a facility for route variations, so that these can be highlighted by a dotted line or something similar.

For example some route 17 services operate to/from St Vincent's Hospital and not Blackrock. Some 75 trips go via Sandyford Industrial Estate and others via Airton Road in Tallaght.

You'll see from www.mkmap.com/dublin that I tried to show most variations, but it's certainly not obvious that they are variations.

Without a detailed knowledge of the route network and its variations you are not going to get a complete picture.

To do the entire network would take time - I can say that from my efforts with the mkmap version.

KC61 wrote: »
    Part of the problem with these things is that people put up the bits that they know about without looking at the entire route. The 145 goes all the way to Kilmacanogue - not just Bray as per OSM!!

Oh yes it's not complete. I added that bus route, and I only know it as far as Bray. I even marked it as incomplete in the OSM database (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/18359). In your mkmap version the 145 stops in Loughlinstown.
    You also need to have a facility for route variations, so that these can be highlighted by a dotted line or something similar.

For example some route 17 services operate to/from St Vincent's Hospital and not Blackrock. Some 75 trips go via Sandyford Industrial Estate and others via Airton Road in Tallaght.

You'll see from www.mkmap.com/dublin that I tried to show most variations, but it's certainly not obvious that they are variations.

Without a detailed knowledge of the route network and its variations you are not going to get a complete picture.

Yes good point about the variations. OSM is a wiki map and a wiki standard. Please feel free to be bold and enter the data into osm that makes the most sense. OSM is based on de facto standards.
    To do the entire network would take time - I can say that from my efforts with the mkmap version.

Yes it is going to take us a while to make a complete map of the world. :) I didn't know it was you that did the mkmap version. You should help out with OSM. It's free and open. Please add what routes you know for the buses into OSM. Unfortunatly the mkmap is based on google maps and hence is tainted data, which we can't use. :(

Not all of the MKMaps were my doing - some of the routes were there already.

The 145 is incorrect as you point out.

I should make the point that a Dublin Bus network spider map is on the way in the not too distant future which will be up to TfL (Transport for London) standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Great idea, just to mention Dublin Bus have a similiar facility on their online timetables(http://www.dublinbus.ie/Labs.EPiServer/GoogleMap/map.aspx?id=1219&epslanguage=en&routeNumber=16A&direction=I&towards=Dublin+Airport here's the 16a route), which was a pleasant suprise to me.

Advertisement