Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Council house and eventually letting family member live there

Options
  • 22-01-2019 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I'm new here so apologies if I have put this in the wrong place or do something wrong.

Looking for some advice if any one has had any experience with this. We have the opportunity to buy our Local Authority house this year. One of the "rules" when buying a house from the LA is that you have to live there permanently and ask for permission if you want to let, sublet it out etc.

The problem is that there is a possibility that next year we will be moving abroad for my partners work for a few years. His sister would be more than happy to move into the house with her family while we're gone as she is back living with their parents due to not being able to find a house she can afford, so if she pays utilities etc we would be happy with that.

My question is, since technically we wouldn't be renting it out as we wouldn't be getting any money for it and we would continue to pay the mortgage, insurance etc. ourselves, she would just live here instead of us, would this be possible? We would of course notify the mortgage lender etc. Has anyone else ever done this?

I know I could ask the Council this but I'd like to hear people's experiences first.. thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could your sister be there on a care takers agreement rather than a tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The only issue that arises generally is if you try to sell the house. the purchaser must be acceptable to the council. They tend not to get involved in houses which are let. If you are going away make sure the neighbours see a lot of the SIL before you go. Have her stay over a bit before you go and the neighbours won't make trouble with the council. the mortgage lender generally won't care but might try to up the interest rate if you tell them. If you keep utilities and property tax in your own name and don't provoke the neighbours you will have no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chawilah

kceire wrote: »
    Could your sister be there on a care takers agreement rather than a tenancy?

I don't know what that is but yes absolutely that sounds like just what we'd be looking for I will look into that

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Hang tough on the purchase of it till you come back.

The only issue that arises generally is if you try to sell the house. the purchaser must be acceptable to the council. They tend not to get involved in houses which are let. If you are going away make sure the neighbours see a lot of the SIL before you go. Have her stay over a bit before you go and the neighbours won't make trouble with the council. the mortgage lender generally won't care but might try to up the interest rate if you tell them. If you keep utilities and property tax in your own name and don't provoke the neighbours you will have no problem.

Everything would be kept in our own names only thing that would change is that instead of us living there it would be her and her little family. They're no louder or more troublesome as neighbours than we are, I wouldn't let them live in my house if they were, but one of the neighbours was quite eager for us to get the house as she was worried about the kind of neighbours she might end up with otherwise, so I could see her maybe getting involved.

Thanks so much for commenting

• Advertisement

Hang tough on the purchase of it till you come back.

Have to buy before we go or we have to give it up and then if we do come back we'll have nothing here to come back to

Advertisement