Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killing of Lindani Myeni (US)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Thread should be called man up to no good gets shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭hawley

Lindani's funeral took place today in South Africa. Seems like the U.S. authorities want this to go away.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news24.com/amp/news24/southafrica/news/he-was-a-pure-soul-lindani-myeni-remembered-by-friends-and-family-20210506
    Delivering a message of support via KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala, Myeni's Hawaiian friend, Bello Silitshena, who was also instrumental in the fundraising process to repatriate his body, said he considered Myeni an innocent.

"Lindani was a pure soul. In addition to all his talents, he had a big heart. He was very selfless."

Silitshena told a story of how he and Myeni were both waiting on US immigration for paperwork.

"I was waiting on my citizenship, while he was waiting on his work permit. We were both frustrated with waiting, but when I got my citizenship, he was the first person to congratulate me wholeheartedly."

Even though he hadn't gotten his paperwork yet, he made it a point to drive out to the suburbs that very day, so we could celebrate. We hugged, he sang beautifully, and we celebrated."

He said it was an example of Myeni's goodness.

"He celebrated my success in the face of his waiting. He spent the night at my house. He just had a great way to make you feel good. And he was like that with everyone. His family. His friends. I'm honoured to have known him."

Myeni was shot and killed by Hawaiian police in April. SA authorities have been struggling to get the entire footage of the incident which led to his fatal shooting.

Zikalala slammed US authorities and called on President Joe Biden and former president Barack Obama to intervene in the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

so any update on why he was wandering around some one else house and refused to comply when confronted or is that only for white people now ?

and dont give me that its a cultural thing. any adult knows that in south africa he would have been killed by the householder long before the police got there and likely again when they did

BS story from family and another bs race baiting thread for boards

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

hawley wrote: »
    Lindani's funeral took place today in South Africa. Seems like the U.S. authorities want this to go away.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news24.com/amp/news24/southafrica/news/he-was-a-pure-soul-lindani-myeni-remembered-by-friends-and-family-20210506
    Delivering a message of support via KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala, Myeni's Hawaiian friend, Bello Silitshena, who was also instrumental in the fundraising process to repatriate his body, said he considered Myeni an innocent.

"Lindani was a pure soul. In addition to all his talents, he had a big heart. He was very selfless."

Silitshena told a story of how he and Myeni were both waiting on US immigration for paperwork.

"I was waiting on my citizenship, while he was waiting on his work permit. We were both frustrated with waiting, but when I got my citizenship, he was the first person to congratulate me wholeheartedly."

Even though he hadn't gotten his paperwork yet, he made it a point to drive out to the suburbs that very day, so we could celebrate. We hugged, he sang beautifully, and we celebrated."

"He celebrated my success in the face of his waiting. He spent the night at my house. He just had a great way to make you feel good. And he was like that with everyone. His family. His friends. I'm honoured to have known him."

Myeni was shot and killed by Hawaiian police in April. SA authorities have been struggling to get the entire footage of the incident which led to his fatal shooting.

Zikalala slammed US authorities and called on President Joe Biden and former president Barack Obama to intervene in the matter.

Nice b8 m8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Meh tough ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's bizarre to try and say this was race related from what I have read.
    He followed someone randomly into their house (well air BnB but still no odds), unsurprisingly it freaked her the feck out. She called the cops.
    It's not a custom in most countries to follow people into their homes uninvited...no matter what way they soon it.
    He then didn't comply with police when they arrived...he then attacked one of them?

The wife of Lindani Myeni wants to raise her children in South Africa because she does not believe it is safe for black children in the United States.
    Lindsay said her plan is to bring her children to South Africa because she believes they could be targeted by police in the US.

"My next steps, honestly, to get help from the SA government... to get me citizenship, so I can stay in my children's home country, without my husband. People think when you're married, citizenship to each other's countries is automatic, but it takes five years each side for him to be a citizen of my country and me of his.

She said that, thus far, the US government and other authorities were not helpful.

"USA government has not given any support, not even a comment, nothing. The mayor in Honolulu also has no response. He knows the police department are in trouble, so I'm guessing there's not much for him to say, without making them look bad.

"We are still suing the Honolulu PD [police department] and waiting for them to give back his cellphone, his clothes, his headband."
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news24.com/amp/news24/southafrica/news/i-dont-want-to-raise-my-kids-in-america-its-unsafe-lindsay-myeni-wants-sa-citizenship-20210506
    There's huge anger in South Africa over this incident. It is being viewed as a racist killing, rightly or wrongly. There was no need to kill him, he was unarmed and maybe disoriented, in a new country. Hopefully his family will rally around her and the kids. It's being compared to Apartheid and Jim Crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it uncovered whether the police themselves were black, white, native Hawaiians, other?
    Or is it just assumed they were white?

biko wrote: »
    Is it uncovered whether the police themselves were black, white, native Hawaiians, other?
    Or is it just assumed they were white?

There's no information on the shooters ethnicity. It's not possible to make it out in the bodycam footage. Non white police officers can be biased against black victims too, because of the culture in police enforcement and the U.S. I don't think people realize how big a story this is in South Africa. The South African government want the President to intervene.

I don't think people realize how big a story this is in South Africa.

It's not that we don't realise. We just don't care.

Man breaks into house. Terrorises female householder. Gets shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This hyperbolic reaction does no favours to black lives matter or the families who are suffering because of real police brutality.

All this does is discredit the argument. I am not suprised that this is big news in South Africa because of the completely biased way it is being portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Non white police officers can be biased against black victims too
    The house owner is the victim here, Lindani Myeni is a perpetrator.
    He may not have had to be shot (we'll see what courts say), but he's not an innocent victim in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭Varik

“Plaintiff alleges that the response by the occupants of the Property was motivated by Mr Myeni’s race and constituted racial discrimination in public accommodation,” the lawsuit alleges.

Don't think that means what they think it does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

There's no information on the shooters ethnicity. It's not possible to make it out in the bodycam footage. Non white police officers can be biased against black victims too, because of the culture in police enforcement and the U.S. I don't think people realize how big a story this is in South Africa. The South African government want the President to intervene.

but in this case they were biased against the offender and rightly so

again had he done the same thing is SA he would have been killed by the home owner long before the police got there ,

i really doubt any one but his family give a crap about a foreign criminal getting swift justice

you know it would be great if you could stop trying to race bait

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Culture me hole. Aren't houses in SA very well guarded and householders armed to protect against intruders?
    Sure wasn't that Pistorius' excuse for shooting his missus through the door?

Like the way that there is difference in Ireland between having a culture of popping over to your neighbours house and making yourself at home for a chat and a cup of tea and having a culture of unwanted secret visits out to Padraig Nally's house to make yourself at home when he doesn't know you.

Culture me hole. Aren't houses in SA very well guarded and householders armed to protect against intruders?
    Sure wasn't that Pistorius' excuse for shooting his missus through the door?

Like the way that there is difference in Ireland between having a culture of popping over to your neighbours house and making yourself at home for a chat and a cup of tea and having a culture of unwanted secret visits out to Padraig Nally's house to make yourself at home when he doesn't know you.

I would be fairly sure the tradition applies to people you know, like your neighbours. Not random houses.

Such rubbish. I looked it up and it was about the 20th link described how he attacked the police and was tasered first.

Every other story is the bad police hunting black people.

I would be fairly sure the tradition applies to people you know, like your neighbours. Not random houses.

Such rubbish. I looked it up and it was about the 20th link described how he attacked the police and was tasered first.

Every other story is the bad police hunting black people.
    It's not entirely clear what Lindani was doing. He told the occupant his name and where he was from. That doesn't sound like someone who's going to commit a crime. All he was doing when the cops arrived was walking around outside. It seems like he was on his way back home. His family are suing the Hawaiian police force and it is being compared to Apartheid and Jim Crow in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's not entirely clear what Lindani was doing. He told the occupant his name and where he was from. That doesn't sound like someone who's going to commit a crime. All he was doing when the cops arrived was walking around outside. It seems like he was on his way back home. His family are suing the Hawaiian police force and it is being compared to Apartheid and Jim Crow in South Africa.

Somebody walks into your home and tells you their name and they're entitled to stick around and do what they like?

As for South Africa equating this with apartheid? Where's that pac man emoji when you need it?

Glazers Out!

Why not compare it to the Holocaust or the crusades, both are as relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bob Bop Perono

I'm in South Africa. There is zero outrage over this killing.

• Advertisement

I'm in South Africa. There is zero outrage over this killing.

There are a lot of reports of government ministers attacking U.S. authorities over the killing. There have been big protests against the killing and they have received support from across the world. There is definitely outrage coming from the South African government.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeslive.co.za/amp/news/south-africa/2021-05-08-lindani-myeni-was-a-victim-of-a-racist-inspired-war-kzn-mec-nkonyeni/

The US is a nation that “promises big dreams in appearance, but in essence has racial categories for those dreams”, KwaZulu-Natal transport, community safety and liaison MEC Neliswa Peggy Nkonyeni said on Saturday.

Speaking at the emotionally-charged funeral of slain former rugby player Lindani Myeni in Empangeni, Nkoyeni said the unmitigated state power resting in the hands of white police officials in the US reflected “a microcosm of that country’s attitude towards other countries, that it exports war and misery in return for minerals”.

“The American police did not only kill a father, son, an uncle, a brother, an exceptional sportsman, but they also killed a cultural activist from whom they could have benefited immensely given the cultural deficiencies with racist undertones prevalent today in the USA.

“The death of Lindani Myeni must not be seen as just another isolated racist and systemic incident, it should be viewed within the context of the USA’s politics of domination and racially motivated exclusions, an unwritten policy that criminalises blackness,” she said

“As we lay Lindani to rest today, we promise that we shall never rest on our laurels until those who killed him are brought to book. Justice must be served, his death must not become a statistic, it should never be in vain,” said Nkonyeni

Other countries need to take a stand against police brutality in America. If all countries called in the U.S. ambassador in a coordinated move, it would send a message to them. President Biden is trying his best, but more needs to be done.

On Saturday in South Africa, a state funeral was held for Lindani Myeni, the unarmed descendant of Zulu royalty who was shot and killed by Honolulu Police officers at a home in Nuuanu.
    At the funeral, Myeni’s wife, Lindsay Myeni, spoke about her late husband and how she hopes his death will bring change around the world and in Hawaii.
    am a bit mad that he left early but I understand he had to change the world on his way out. There are people praying for him in Rome, there are people praying for him in Nigeria,” she said.

“He changed Hawaii forever. He changed America forever. He changed South Africa forever.”

Myeni’s death has gained international attention.

The nation of South Africa has called on the US government to investigate the shooting further and condemned the Honolulu Police Department for its slow release of information.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/05/08/south-africa-holds-state-funeral-man-fatally-shot-by-police-nuuanu/%3foutputType=amp

So a state funeral is held, but we are told that nobody in South Africa cares about this. The government is seeking a formal inquiry over the killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Hopefully he will change the world, to an extent.

His could be a cautionary tale that if you terrorise innocent women in the sanctuary of their own homes and viciously attack the police who lawfully respond to the invasion you can expect a bad outcome for yourself regardless of your skin colour and the political landscape of the day.

All of this race obsessed poison from the USA should be fired back over the Atlantic in a trebuchet.

We do not need this cancer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Myeni’s death has gained international attention.

"Dozens protest..."
    Wow.
    Dozens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bob Bop Perono

There are a lot of reports of government ministers attacking U.S. authorities over the killing. There have been big protests against the killing and they have received support from across the world. There is definitely outrage coming from the South African government.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeslive.co.za/amp/news/south-africa/2021-05-08-lindani-myeni-was-a-victim-of-a-racist-inspired-war-kzn-mec-nkonyeni/

The US is a nation that “promises big dreams in appearance, but in essence has racial categories for those dreams”, KwaZulu-Natal transport, community safety and liaison MEC Neliswa Peggy Nkonyeni said on Saturday.

Speaking at the emotionally-charged funeral of slain former rugby player Lindani Myeni in Empangeni, Nkoyeni said the unmitigated state power resting in the hands of white police officials in the US reflected “a microcosm of that country’s attitude towards other countries, that it exports war and misery in return for minerals”.

“The American police did not only kill a father, son, an uncle, a brother, an exceptional sportsman, but they also killed a cultural activist from whom they could have benefited immensely given the cultural deficiencies with racist undertones prevalent today in the USA.

“The death of Lindani Myeni must not be seen as just another isolated racist and systemic incident, it should be viewed within the context of the USA’s politics of domination and racially motivated exclusions, an unwritten policy that criminalises blackness,” she said

“As we lay Lindani to rest today, we promise that we shall never rest on our laurels until those who killed him are brought to book. Justice must be served, his death must not become a statistic, it should never be in vain,” said Nkonyeni

Other countries need to take a stand against police brutality in America. If all countries called in the U.S. ambassador in a coordinated move, it would send a message to them. President Biden is trying his best, but more needs to be done.

A local politician with no affiliation to any of the larger parties is hardly representitive of the South African government. Have the ANC released a statement? I know the EFF have, as they always do, but while there's plenty of interest, there's no public outrage.

Speaking on behalf of the provincial government, Neliswa Nkonyeni, MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, condemned Myeni’s murder saying there was evidence dated back to the days of the trans-Atlantic slave trade of black people treated as soulless sub-human beings.

“We are gathered here to pay our last respects to Lindani, a victim of a racist inspired war, which threatens to rage like an inferno,” she said.

“His death must not be seen as just another isolated racist and systemic incident, it should be viewed within the context of the USA’s politics of domination and racially motivated exclusions, an unwritten policy that criminalises blackness.”

Nkonyeni called for those responsible to be punished while comforting his young widow.

“As we lay Lindani to rest today, we promise that we shall never rest on our laurels until those who killed him are brought to book. Justice must be served, his death must not become a statistic; it should never be in vain.”
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iol.co.za/amp/sunday-tribune/news/lindani-myeni-laid-to-rest-but-fight-for-justice-rages-on-16a61c45-7af6-431c-aeed-80bfafc2b1b8
    There seems to be a feeling in South Africa that nothing is being done as he wasn't an African American. It is bringing back memories of slavery and how there is a hierarchy. They are somehow viewed as less. We need to stand up for the weaker members of society or this will happen here. We saw that already this year with the George Nkencho.

Speaking on behalf of the provincial government, Neliswa Nkonyeni, MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, condemned Myeni’s murder saying there was evidence dated back to the days of the trans-Atlantic slave trade of black people treated as soulless sub-human beings.

“We are gathered here to pay our last respects to Lindani, a victim of a racist inspired war, which threatens to rage like an inferno,” she said.

“His death must not be seen as just another isolated racist and systemic incident, it should be viewed within the context of the USA’s politics of domination and racially motivated exclusions, an unwritten policy that criminalises blackness.”

Nkonyeni called for those responsible to be punished while comforting his young widow.

“As we lay Lindani to rest today, we promise that we shall never rest on our laurels until those who killed him are brought to book. Justice must be served, his death must not become a statistic; it should never be in vain.”
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iol.co.za/amp/sunday-tribune/news/lindani-myeni-laid-to-rest-but-fight-for-justice-rages-on-16a61c45-7af6-431c-aeed-80bfafc2b1b8
    There seems to be a feeling in South Africa that nothing is being done as he wasn't an African American. It is bringing back memories of slavery and how there is a hierarchy. They are somehow viewed as less. We need to stand up for the weaker members of society or this will happen here. We saw that already this year with the George Nkencho.

JHC.
    "Memories of slavery"
    Not every black person has slavery heritage, notwithstanding the complicity of black people in the slave trade, nor how widespread it was.
    Its like every European decrying the Huns, or Moor slavers...

If we could stop being outraged over every killing of someone based on skin colour that'd be great, and maybe start holding people responsible for their actions rather than playing the race card.

George attached armed Gardai with a knife. They did what they had to do when it came to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

How did I miss this thread until now? It’s epic

Some random moron decides to apply his own cultural behaviour in a foreign country as if it’s the most normal thing in the whole world, and then it’s racism if this backfires.

I don’t hear the same “compassion” for idiots who go to Dubai and get arrested for drunk sex on the beach etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

So, we're he an African American his killing would be taken more seriously?

So his skin colour wasn't the motivating factor here? He was black but not a African American, had he been the apparatus of BLM would be making an issue of his killing? Am I getting this right? The hierarchy of slavery is somehow connected but I'm not sure how but once the word "Slave" is in there somewhere we're leaning into the whole racial angle even harder so that can only be a good thing, right?

Perhaps he was killed because of his behaviour and shock horror, his skin colour didn't come into the equation until the "everything is racism" crowd poked their noses into this case and decided he was killed for the colour of his skin and nothing else.

As for trying to tie this into Irish society via the George Nkencho case, what a thoroughly abysmal attempt to conflate two things that have no relation to each other. Shame on you.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

South African born rugby player Lindani Myeni’s lawyer on Wednesday said Honolulu police treated him "like an animal" when they shot and killed the 29-year-old without following police protocol.

Myeni was killed last month after a woman called the police screaming hysterically over the phone, ostensibly believing that Myeni wanted to harm her.

Officers responded and fired multiple shots at Myeni who was defenceless and was not even wearing his shoes.

His legal team believes the father of two mistook the woman's house for a temple that was actually located next door.

Myeni family lawyer Bridget Morgan-Bickerton explained what evidence was collected through bodycam footage: “There were no lights, no sirens and yelled no less than five times ‘get on the ground’ without one time announcing that they were the police. That’s illegal, unlawful and it is absolutely unjustified.”
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/ewn.co.za/2021/05/12/lindani-myeni-s-lawyer-hawaii-police-didn-t-follow-protocol-when-they-shot-him/amp

The woman's behavior was just bizarre, considering he wasn't posing any threat. So it seems now that he was got confused. He didn't deserve to be killed. This is an absolute s ***show for the police force. How they acted was completely against protocols. I hope his family get justice for him.

Advertisement