Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart switch or smart lights for large open plan

Options
  • 30-04-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

Interested in peoples thoughts on plan for lighting for a large open plan area.

Kitchen with large island, dining room and living room. L shaped, with kitchen island in middle. Will go spots in the dining and kitchen, with some sort of lighting for island. I'd like under counter lighting or dim floor strips or something like that. Family room probably lamps with centre light, no spots.

I need switches, with dimmer for spots - I know some people get away without switches with smart lights, it won't float with my family.l!

Smart bulbs add expense, though recent post advises that the Ikea GU10 are near as reliable as Hue equivalent. So not totally against.

I probably need separate zones for dining, kitchen, island, living room.

The only reason for smart bulbs would be to avail of the softer whites.

Any thoughts on what way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

How about a mixture of both, it doesn't have to be one.ir the other. So smart switch for.yiue main ceiling lights which would comprise.most.of.your gu10, then some.smart bulbs and led strips for mood.lighting or scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

when you say "softer whites" do you mean you want to be able to change between white <-> warm white? I would guess that is only possible with smart bulbs.
    another Q to consider is how many bulbs are controlled by each switch? if 1-to-many mapping then switches would be more economical, right?
    i also recollect that smart bulbs are often less bright than regular bulbs. worth considering that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

brio09 wrote: »
    when you say "softer whites" do you mean you want to be able to change between white <-> warm white? I would guess that is only possible with smart bulbs.
    another Q to consider is how many bulbs are controlled by each switch? if 1-to-many mapping then switches would be more economical, right?
    i also recollect that smart bulbs are often less bright than regular bulbs. worth considering that aspect.

Hi. Yes, when I say softer, I mean switching between white and warm white. So would have to be smart bulbs, as you say. And for the spots, maybe ir would be two zones, kitchen and dining. And then a third zone for the island. And then the family room another switch.

Advertisement