Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a boyfriend

Options
  • 28-04-2021 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, I really hope this doesn't come across as judgemental/mean/better-than-though but I'm finding it hard to articulate my thoughts.

I'm late twenties. Everyone thinks I'm straight as I've been "straight" to date but deep down I know I'm gay. For various reasons I'm struggling to come to terms with it.

One of the reasons I continue to go for girls is that it's just easier. Most people are straight and therefore % wise it's just easier to get a date.

The problem is I want to know and trust the lad before dating them since it might take me a while to find the way out of the closet. But I don't know many gay lads.

The stereotypical gay bar just isn't my scene and I don't like the idea of gay meetups. Not sure why, but looking at meetup.com there is a gay dining out Ireland meetup. Not sure why I don't find the idea comfortable. Maybe it's because I haven't accept it yet.

I suppose the question is what is the best way to find a boyfriend and not just a one night stand (grinder)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I suppose the question is what is the best way to find a boyfriend and not just a one night stand (grinder)

You do need to find ways of meeting gay/bi men.
    Ask yourself seriously if the reason you're not comfortable with gay bars, meetups etc... is that you don't want anyone to find out. It's a very common thing.
    It sounds like you're only at the very beginning of the coming out process.
    Check out The Outhouse. It's not a bar, it's not a meetup group, but you can go there green lunch, maybe chat with some people, and find resources to help you figure things out.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Luker

Firstly, I really hope this doesn't come across as judgemental/mean/better-than-though but I'm finding it hard to articulate my thoughts.

I'm late twenties. Everyone thinks I'm straight as I've been "straight" to date but deep down I know I'm gay. For various reasons I'm struggling to come to terms with it.

One of the reasons I continue to go for girls is that it's just easier. Most people are straight and therefore % wise it's just easier to get a date.

The problem is I want to know and trust the lad before dating them since it might take me a while to find the way out of the closet. But I don't know many gay lads.

The stereotypical gay bar just isn't my scene and I don't like the idea of gay meetups. Not sure why, but looking at meetup.com there is a gay dining out Ireland meetup. Not sure why I don't find the idea comfortable. Maybe it's because I haven't accept it yet.

Same situation here OP although I’m in my 30’s. I lived abroad for a year. Went to a gay mans meetup group in a bar one evening. Was actually a great night. Met very interesting people. They were all very much comfortable in their sexuality whereas I went there in secret. I wish I had stuck with it. As the years go on , regrets start to kick in.
    I’ve thought about paid dating agencies - my thoughts are if someone pays for an agency they are serious about looking for a relationship. I wouldn’t be into grindr and the likes

Advertisement