Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where To Buy Pendulum Clocks ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I'd look on eBay for an old UK/Irish/EU based vintage piece rather than something new - I got one for €50 a while back that has both hourly and quarterly chimes (including the Westminster chime too). An old but lovely wooden piece. Or perhaps something at a local auction house like O'Reilly's. ...Just checked my mantel - it's a Bentima branded clock "made in Great Britain" - it's nice to put a bit of life into vintage pieces I think.

If you're looking to spend hundreds on a mantel clock and want something very cool - might I suggest an Atmos clock? Very very suitable for mantels and though it doesn't chime it runs on witchcraft/"air power" - so "almost" a perpetual timepiece (service it every 20 years or so).

I've a link to a review of one I got a few months back - new ones cost thousands, but vintage ones cost hundreds:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058150761

ZLDMYC sounds like some random Chinese manufacturer that is churning out clocks by the hundreds/thousands - for something like a mantel piece I'd definitely look at going vintage and buying the seller rather than a modern mass produced piece - some lovely vintage marble pendulum clocks come up at auction too in the same price range as that Amazon piece.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I'd look on eBay for an old UK/Irish/EU based vintage piece rather than something new - I got one for €50 a while back that has both hourly and quarterly chimes (including the Westminster chime too). An old but lovely wooden piece. Or perhaps something at a local auction house like O'Reilly's. ...Just checked my mantel - it's a Bentima branded clock "made in Great Britain" - it's nice to put a bit of life into vintage pieces I think.

The problem with vintage is if it's not working properly and I don't want something vintage because my 7 and 5 year Boys could make bits of it so a mass produced Chinese one wouldn't be too bad if it works properly.
    If you're looking to spend hundreds on a mantel clock and want something very cool - might I suggest an Atmos clock? Very very suitable for mantels and though it doesn't chime it runs on witchcraft/"air power" - so "almost" a perpetual timepiece (service it every 20 years or so).

Now that is amazing, never knew such a clock existed!

Is there a modern version ?
    ZLDMYC sounds like some random Chinese manufacturer that is churning out clocks by the hundreds/thousands - for something like a mantel piece I'd definitely look at going vintage and buying the seller rather than a modern mass produced piece - some lovely vintage marble pendulum clocks come up at auction too in the same price range as that Amazon piece.

Yes, I was thinking ZLDMYC might be Chinese but as I said with my 2 small Lads at home the risk of damage is very real :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have a mechanical wall clock from a German company called Hermle. We bought it from a clock shop in the Netherlands when we lived there, and if I recall pretty much all of the clocks there were German.

It's probably about 30 years old now and hasn't missed a beat.

https://www.hermle-reichenbach.de/

I'm sure you'd be able to find some of their clocks on Amazon.de.

Alun wrote: »
    We have a mechanical wall clock from a German company called Hermle. We bought it from a clock shop in the Netherlands when we lived there, and if I recall pretty much all of the clocks there were German.

It's probably about 30 years old now and hasn't missed a beat.

https://www.hermle-reichenbach.de/

I'm sure you'd be able to find some of their clocks on Amazon.de.

We have an old clock from Germany, I must take a photo of it, doesn't work, where's a good place to get clocks repaired ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Now that is amazing, never knew such a clock existed!

Is there a modern version ?

Here are the prices for new Atmos clocks - 7-10k for one:
    https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/watches/atmos.html

If that got broken by the kids it'd be quite a punch to the wallet :D makes purchasing vintage all the more appealing (and true to actual Art Deco style period too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The thing about mechanical clocks is that they are mechanical. So there will be wear and tear and delicate parts. They will never be shock proof.
    You can get one with a cheap chinese movement in it but dont be expecting it to last a long time, a few years tops- even if your kids dont abuse it.

A more expensive one will have properly engineered and manufactured parts and if looked after (serviced every decade and not hit with a stick on a daily basis) it will last generations.

And then you have the very well made clocks. As said above a vintage one from victorian times can be got at a pinch and they are designed to last. My own french slate mantel clock has a Samuel Marti movement and is keeping time to <30secs a day.

And it has survived my now 10 year old sons interest over the years. And probably countless other kids over the past 140 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's been 3 days. Will someone please, pleeeease.... edit in the "u" :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fat bloke wrote: »
    It's been 3 days. Will someone please, pleeeease.... edit in the "u" :(:(:(

Pendluum?

It was too late when I spotted it but you have little to be worrying about :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Done. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It was too late when I spotted it but you have little to be worrying about :-)

Sorry, but with the laser eyes and vernier gaze of this forum for chapter ring alignment and such, I thought an errant vowel couldn't possibly be ignored for so long! :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    Sorry, but with the laser eyes and vernier gaze of this forum for chapter ring alignment and such, I thought an errant vowel couldn't possibly be ignored for so long! :)

Right. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

You could always build one, if you were into that type of thing, although the pendulum would be a fair bit longer than the battery powered one in the OP.

This is the clock I want to get fixed, I was given 1 quote already for around 550 Euros which I think is a bit steep ? this would include full service including springs if needed.

The Chime gets stuck and the chime is off, could be chime 4 times and could show 8 etc, one of the pins that holds the big hand is missing, I stuck something in place.

14Kcek8.jpg

Advertisement