Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adrian and Jeremy to leave 98fm

Options
124»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, the lads from second captains (off the ball previously) did it. They had a sponsored show from the Irish Times which kept 4 or 5 of them trucking, they then moved to Patreon and subscribers pay €5 a month. Nearly 13k subscribers. I doubt the target audience of these two would pay for content though

I honestly think, with the following they have, they could absolutely go behind a paywall eventually. If they got 5k subscribers at a 5er a month it would be a decent chunk of change.

On top of that with podcasts, a lot of podcast hosting platforms will rollout ads on the podcast itself if it has enough of a following, which is a decent earner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Whatever they're doing, I do hope that they drop the tedious "Good News Friday" segment. It's boring, hackneyed crap and the opposite of what made the Phoneshow so great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, the lads from second captains (off the ball previously) did it. They had a sponsored show from the Irish Times which kept 4 or 5 of them trucking, they then moved to Patreon and subscribers pay €5 a month. Nearly 13k subscribers. I doubt the target audience of these two would pay for content though

That's why I said "for that show". Second Captains/OTB had a much bigger audience to begin with and got media partners nearly immediately.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    I honestly think, with the following they have, they could absolutely go behind a paywall eventually. If they got 5k subscribers at a 5er a month it would be a decent chunk of change.

On top of that with podcasts, a lot of podcast hosting platforms will rollout ads on the podcast itself if it has enough of a following, which is a decent earner as well.

5k paying subscribers will never happen for that show.

Pre-roll ads pay buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

I see Niall Boylan is setting up a webpage for his podcasts in light of recent events.

No idea's of his own it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I see Niall Boylan is setting up a webpage for his podcasts in light of recent events.

i think that was set up some time ago.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

Has been up a long time now

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wonder would the Adrian and Jeremy show work for TV if they made a Jeremy Kyle style show ?

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I wonder would the Adrian and Jeremy show work for TV if they made a Jeremy Kyle style show ?
    I sincerely hope not. We saw how that ended in tragedy.

Furthermore, this is not Britain, we are a small country with a good degree of cohesion; we are civilised; unlikely to sneer at family trouble in poorer households. If this country had much truck with that carry-on, this duo's radio programme would have never been cancelled. It was probably cancelled for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I would listen to hear what is on these phone shows but do not take them serious because a lot of the callers are either set up or just on to say something to get the other regular callers to phone in rinse and repeat the next show and so on .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

I hope 'get it off your chest' is brought back for the new show. And with the ambient sound of La Femme d'Argent playing in the background of course. https://youtu.be/U4U19zwFENs

• Advertisement

I hope 'get it off your chest' is brought back for the new show. And with the ambient sound of La Femme d'Argent playing in the background of course. https://youtu.be/U4U19zwFENs

Its only 7 minutes long I thought that tune went on for about an hour.

They must have played it on repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I would say the axe will fall heavily in many station's. The majority of station's are being propped up by HSE adverts re Covid and staying safe etc. It's hard times for every business at the moment, but some may take this as an opportunity to make cutbacks.

What's with ESB advertising like the clappers, did leinster house tell em to do it or else?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Big Gerry wrote: »

Back in the FM104 days there was a period where they streamed part of the show on a Dublin focused satellite TV channel. Video of the studio alongside the audio. I can't remember the name of the TV station, or if it's still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Back in the FM104 days there was a period where they streamed part of the show on a Dublin focused satellite TV channel. Video of the studio alongside the audio. I can't remember the name of the TV station, or if it's still going.

Think it was the upc info channel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

City Channel Dublin. Closed about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Good question here would FM104 want them back?

Good question here would FM104 want them back?

They didn't leave FM104 on the best of terms.

I remember when they left Adrian was slagging them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I sincerely hope not. We saw how that ended in tragedy.

Furthermore, this is not Britain, we are a small country with a good degree of cohesion; we are civilised; unlikely to sneer at family trouble in poorer households. If this country had much truck with that carry-on, this duo's radio programme would have never been cancelled. It was probably cancelled for good reason.

Not sure what country you think Ireland is.

Not sure what country you think Ireland is.

I'll give you an example. We have some of the worst wealth inequality in Eurrope, going on the Gini coefficient, but we drastically reduce that inequality by redistribution of cash via taxation — the end result is a good degree of income equality.

I'm telling you, it isn't publicly acceptable to sneer at poorer people in this society, like it is in Britain.

We are not perfect, but only Britain or America could have made Jeremy Kyle famous. Those countries have made inequality a virtue. It just doesnt have an audience here, hence why these guys remained a programme on a minor radio station, and have been humiliatingly cancelled. Their podcast, if there is one, will also fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

I'll give you an example. We have some of the worst wealth inequality in Eurrope, going on the Gini coefficient, but we drastically reduce that inequality by redistribution of cash via taxation — the end result is a good degree of income equality.

I'm telling you, it isn't publicly acceptable to sneer at poorer people in this society, like it is in Britain.

We are not perfect, but only Britain or America could have made Jeremy Kyle famous. Those countries have made inequality a virtue. It just doesnt have an audience here, hence why these guys remained a programme on a minor radio station, and have been humiliatingly cancelled. Their podcast, if there is one, will also fail.

I think you will find that it was cancelled more to do with cash reasons than anything else. Also, I personally would not see 98fm as a 'minor station'. It's not like it is some mickey mouse set up out in somebody's garden shed.

I also love the fact that you have gotten your crystal ball out and have more or less guaranteed any future podcast that they may do will fail. Social media platforms have moved on with the time's, maybe you should too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Also, I personally would not see 98fm as a 'minor station'. It's not like it is some mickey mouse set up out in somebody's garden shed.

You obviously haven't seen the studio in Marconi House. Whatever 98 was before its nothing like it was. More like a shadow of its former self!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Radio_Forever

Judging by the relatively few replies this thread has had and the modest view count, these two don't seem to be the household names they once were, not on this website anyway. For many years, numerous threads would pop up regularly on this website. Some where posters wholeheartedly praised the show. Other were largely negative. For years, these two were regularly lambasted here, with most unanimously agreeing that their shown fm104 wasn't very good, and a lot of posters hoping that these two would get the sack. And now that it's actually happened, there's been very little reaction or response on here. Whether the threads had a positive or negative slant, it showed how just how well known these two were that people still talked about them regularly.(To paraphrase Andy Warhol, "You don't read your reviews, you weigh them.") And now that they've left commercial radio- there's been nothing or very little in terms of a response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

If I remember correctly their show on 98fm started off kind of like the phoneshow light with similarish topics but obviously toned down for daytime listening. But the show developed into more of a news and talk show rather than a phone in debate show over time.

The topics also seemed to change to more stuff about things like parenting and personal things they've also had the likes of local councillors on which you never would have on the phoneshow.

And now that they've left commercial radio- there's been nothing or very little in terms of a response.
    Indeed. Anyone have strong views on whether we should close this thread? The show is over, unless they're moving to a podcast format – in which case we can send the thread to that forum, if they will take it.

Kinda seems like we need to draw a line under this, but if you want the thread to remain open it will stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That brings back memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

GT89 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly their show on 98fm started off kind of like the phoneshow light with similarish topics but obviously toned down for daytime listening. But the show developed into more of a news and talk show rather than a phone in debate show over time.

The topics also seemed to change to more stuff about things like parenting and personal things they've also had the likes of local councillors on which you never would have on the phoneshow.

Yeah, the move to a daytime slot killed the spirit of the show. The show on 98 started off as Phoneshow-lite, but gradually became more of a formulaic, non-threatening talk show that sounded like it was targeted more towards housewives. I think if A&J hadn't left 104 back in 2013, they and the Phoneshow would still be there now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Yeah, the move to a daytime slot killed the spirit of the show. The show on 98 started off as Phoneshow-lite, but gradually became more of a formulaic, non-threatening talk show that sounded like it was targeted more towards housewives. I think if A&J hadn't left 104 back in 2013, they and the Phoneshow would still be there now.

I'd say Adrian regrets slagging off 104 now. 104 probably wouldn't be interested if they wanted to go back as they probably don't need a night time slot now.

If there emerges any reason to reopen this thread, or if people really want it to stay open, let one of the mods know and we will reopen it. It seems the show is over. we bid Adrian and Jeremy farewell.

This is the way it ends.
    Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement