Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre marriage course

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

You don't "have" to have children but have to be "open" to it. So for instance you can be infertile and still be "open" to life and can be validly married.

As for choosing not to for "ethical reasons" this really depends and you would probably need a canon lawyer to make a call on that. But I would imagine that if there is an express intent to never conceive on the part of both parties then the marriage would not be valid. If someone cannot conceive that is different, and the marriage would be valid.

If someone is impotent for some reasonand cannot physically have vaginal intercourse they cannot be validly married (although obviously if this disability happens afterwards that does not invalidate the marriage).

It's also worth remembering that under church teaching there is no contraception so the idea of choosing not to have children doesn't exist for CC. I.e in their words 'God' gifts them to you or he doesn't but you don't interfere by using contraception.

You would be legally married under those conditions but the church may not recognise it but the state would. (again might not matter to some)

(disclaimer: I'm not actually religious just pointing out the churchs position on it.)

ec18 wrote: »
    It's also worth remembering that under church teaching there is no contraception so the idea of choosing not to have children doesn't exist for CC. I.e in their words 'God' gifts them to you or he doesn't but you don't interfere by using contraception.

You would be legally married under those conditions but the church may not recognise it but the state would. (again might not matter to some)

(disclaimer: I'm not actually religious just pointing out the churchs position on it.)
    Not a canon lawyer, but I'm fairly sure you could express a preference not to have a child, use natural birth control and it would be valid as you would still be "open to life" even if it is not exactly something you expressly desire. So being "open" is not the same as "really wanting". So if the attitude is "we don't really want children but sure if it happens we will have and raise the child and make the best of it" then this is ok as there is "openness".

So usually there was some wriggle room here. But in recent times there are more people who are completely "closed" to the idea. If they were of this mindset when getting married, their marriage is not valid in the eyes of the church.

(I hope I'm not boring people, I find this stuff interesting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

Not a canon lawyer, but I'm fairly sure you could express a preference not to have a child, use natural birth control and it would be valid as you would still be "open to life" even if it is not exactly something you expressly desire. So being "open" is not the same as "really wanting". So if the attitude is "we don't really want children but sure if it happens we will have and raise the child and make the best of it" then this is ok as there is "openness".

So usually there was some wriggle room here. But in recent times there are more people who are completely "closed" to the idea. If they were of this mindset when getting married, their marriage is not valid in the eyes of the church.

(I hope I'm not boring people, I find this stuff interesting).

Different priests will also have different interpretations of it, ours for example was very picky about the music and what in/out of communion was (I never quite got what he was on about) depending on the 'holiness' of the priest in question could be more or less strict on the interpretation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd imagine a fair chunk of the Catholic weddings that take place in Ireland are not valid then for various reasons. I think its mad but its the rules and there are other options if you don't qualify for a Catholic wedding. I can't understand why someone who choses not to live as a Catholic would want one anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd imagine a fair chunk of the Catholic weddings that take place in Ireland are not valid then for various reasons. I think its mad but its the rules and there are other options if you don't qualify for a Catholic wedding. I can't understand why someone who choses not to live as a Catholic would want one anyway :confused:

Agreed. I disagree with almost all of their rules, which is why I don’t play their game. But I do have to acknowledge that it is ‘their club, their rules’. If people don’t like it, then don’t get get married in a church. (Not to mention the ‘day out’ for communions.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are the church still running this scam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are the church still running this scam?

Weddings? Yes, the church is still offering them.

Advertisement