Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Say Something To This Guys Boss?

Options
  • 24-03-2021 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

I was having an item fitted in my house today, the installation and cost came to €2200,i have paid half up front.
    The installation guy said he could add an optional extra (lets call it item A) It usually costs €270 but he had the part in the van and could do it off the books for €150 cash.
    I was pretty sure item A was included in the price as although its an optional extra its a pretty important one and something i certainly would want.Based on this i said yeah ill take it,i was a bit p1ssed off and double checked the lenghty email correspondence I had with the company owner when originally ordering and item A was included.I went out and showed it to the installation guy,he started back pedalling straight away.I didnt say much as i still needed him to do installation.
    My question is this,should i mention this to the boss when hes looking for balance of payment? Not in a snarky way but just to make him aware, maybe this guy has done this before? I think its bad form and some older people people are less clued in could easily just give him the cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Yes.

A small bit of awkward from your side could save others being scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

HBC08 wrote: »
    I was having an item fitted in my house today, the installation and cost came to €2200,i have paid half up front.
    The installation guy said he could add an optional extra (lets call it item A) It usually costs €270 but he had the part in the van and could do it off the books for €150 cash.
    I was pretty sure item A was included in the price as although its an optional extra its a pretty important one and something i certainly would want.Based on this i said yeah ill take it,i was a bit p1ssed off and double checked the lenghty email correspondence I had with the company owner when originally ordering and item A was included.I went out and showed it to the installation guy,he started back pedalling straight away.I didnt say much as i still needed him to do installation.
    My question is this,should i mention this to the boss when hes looking for balance of payment? Not in a snarky way but just to make him aware, maybe this guy has done this before? I think its bad form and some older people people are less clued in could easily just give him the cash.

surprising that he back pedaled instead of claiming it to be a mistake and not asking for the 150. hope you got to raise it with his boss and get your money back + give him some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

brio09 wrote:
    surprising that he back pedaled instead of claiming it to be a mistake and not asking for the 150. hope you got to raise it with his boss and get your money back + give him some feedback

Don't think the boss will have much time for the op. He was willing to have the employee fit a (probably) stolen product as a nixer instead of going through the books. At the very least he was willing to pay the worker for a nixer on the bosses time. Stolen products are usually stolen from the employer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Say it to the boss. If he's not helpful then, write a review or go higher etc. No sense in keeping this to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭POBox19

Difficult because you had accepted the 'cash deal' for the item offered before you realised that it was part of your contract with the company. Was there nothing else you could have got from him, for cash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Just an update.
    The part wasnt stolen,it was an optional part of the installation, the guy was chancing his arm asking did i want this extra banking on me not knowing it was already in the order.
    I didnt raise it with his boss when paying the balance.He boss also sent two emails 24 hours apart looking for the balance of payment and never even replied when i transferred it.
    Bad taste left in my mouth overall and have told the story to anybody who was interested since.

I took the easy way out really as the product is installed and im happy with that,i also weighed up the fact that the boss most likely wouldnt care.

Also,for a bit of context,this is a niche product and this company were much cheaper than any other quotes,theres usually a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Ah jaysus just tell us what it is :eek:
    I'm going to assume something untoward in my head

Advertisement