Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Not sure if anyone picked up on this, Gary Players son was basically advertising a golf ball brand all the way through the opening ceremony

cht7gxp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Despicable! Never liked player, never mind the son.

If the same camera work was around back then he be the equivalent of Patrick Reed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Despicable! Never liked player, never mind the son.

If the same camera work was around back then he be the equivalent of Patrick Reed

History as been very kind to him...they own a share in the golf ball company.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kiith wrote: »
    So what has everyone bought during lockdown?

Sim Max 3W and a Shotscope V3 for me, along with a bunch of golf balls to lose when we get back. Want to get some clubs re-gripped as well, but will have to wait till clubs are open i suppose.

Callaway Rogue driver...First new driver in almost 20 years.

Kind of looking at shoes. Want light ones for summer, but guess waterproof ones be best cos it is still Ireland. Anyone any recommendations on lightweight but waterproof shoes? Must check out my clothes too I guess

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shoes and a new bag are the next things i want to get, but after getting a €750 repair bill for my car, they may have to wait.

Or not :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm only after joining a club in February (great timing of course) but had been planning too since before October so I've been adding stuff to my fairly old set over the course of the lockdown with a few more to pickup pending restrictions easing. I've an M2 driver, m2 3w and 4h, RBZ Stage 2 3h, GAPR 3h, 50 and 54 Vokey wedges and a Scotty putter. All 2nd hand except the wedges, want to try out a few different things hence the similar stuff first to see how I get on. I haven't hit any of them outside of a couple of range sessions with the M2s so the first round back could be interesting.

Plan is to just get back into playing this year and see where the game is and then get fitted next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Mushy wrote: »
    Callaway Rogue driver...First new driver in almost 20 years.

Kind of looking at shoes. Want light ones for summer, but guess waterproof ones be best cos it is still Ireland. Anyone any recommendations on lightweight but waterproof shoes? Must check out my clothes too I guess

Those shoes from Druids golf look decent and good price

benji79 wrote: »

They've just released a new range of almost everything that looks really good value, the waterproof bag is great value just I don't like the camo finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

They've just released a new range of almost everything that looks really good value, the waterproof bag is great value just I don't like the camo finish.

I’m the same, thought it ruined the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

benji79 wrote: »

Yeah was looking at them. Is their stuff good in general?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I like some of the Druids stuff, but some of it is absolutely horrible looking. Where do most people buy their golf clothes? I need a few things before we go back, and since i won't be able to buy instore, need to get them online and hope they fit.

I like some of the Druids stuff, but some of it is absolutely horrible looking. Where do most people buy their golf clothes? I need a few things before we go back, and since i won't be able to buy instore, need to get them online and hope they fit.

Yeah some Druids stuff is truly awful, it looks like they've upped their prices a bit as well so not as good value anymore for clothes. Their trolley and bags are still a very good price though.

County Golf is still my go to. They won't deliver to Ireland directly anymore but I always went through AddressPal anyway. You will pay VAT through AddressPal since January but I bought a full Adidas Waterproof set for less than €100 all in, paid something like €12 in VAT on it. I got stung for VAT & customs on one order but that was due to An Post mis valuing the stuff, I claimed off them, took ages but got a refund eventually. They're selling last years kit usually but that makes no difference to me. Aside from there I've heard Clubhouse Golf is very good too.

I've found the Irish sites to be ridiculously overpriced for clothes for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

What are peoples thoughts on the Irish Open in July ? will it go ahead with/without spectators ? I booked accommodation some time ago and was looking forward to the break as I haven't been to a tournament for years ,Mount Juliet lovely place for a tournament as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

nonsheep7 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the Irish Open in July ? will it go ahead with/without spectators ? I booked accommodation some time ago and was looking forward to the break as I haven't been to a tournament for years ,Mount Juliet lovely place for a tournament as well.

With the quarantine rules the way they are currently there's zero chance of it going ahead in my opinion. Lowry alluded to this the other day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

Yes Deeper Blue I read Lowry's comments he made after the Masters re the quarantine malarkey and the complications he has with his own caddy going home. The European Tour chiefs will surely come up with something though ? losing the tournament 2 years in a row could sound the death knell for its future :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I got a polo and hat from duck hook over lockdown. Haven't worn it yet, but it looks and feels nice. The real test is how it looks in a year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Agree re some of the Druids stuff, quality is hit and miss. Got a really nice gilet, but the tshirt I got from there seems like quite cheap synthetic material.
    blue note wrote: »
    I got a polo and hat from duck hook over lockdown. Haven't worn it yet, but it looks and feels nice. The real test is how it looks in a year though.

Duck Hook stuff is really nice, and very good quality. Got a couple of t-shirts as Christmas presents. Material is very nice and soft as you mention, and not shiny. Think it's more cotton based stuff. Plus they're an irish company so nice to support local.

If you're looking to treat yourself, there is some great stuff on Trendygolf.com. Coming from UK, so potential to be hit for VAT, as mentioned with other sites. But they have a great range, and some brands you wont find in a lot of other places. It's not the cheapest site to be buying from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

So what has everyone bought during lockdown?

Sim Max 3W and a Shotscope V3 for me, along with a bunch of golf balls to lose when we get back. Want to get some clubs re-gripped as well, but will have to wait till clubs are open i suppose.

Bought a brand new Evnroll 1.2B putter during lockdown. It's a thing of beauty and can't wait to get it on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

nonsheep7 wrote: »
    Yes Deeper Blue I read Lowry's comments he made after the Masters re the quarantine malarkey and the complications he has with his own caddy going home. The European Tour chiefs will surely come up with something though ? losing the tournament 2 years in a row could sound the death knell for its future :eek:

It'd be a big blow to the tournament alright, hopefully it goes ahead, I'd definitely head down to it. Who knows, the hotel quarantine might have been scrapped by then, more and more people seem to be fighting it in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I have some Druids gear, main issue I had was with the sizing. Bought a Polo, Gilet & Midlayer, all in Small.

Polo is a little bit too big for me.
    Gilet is absolutely massive, even over a few layers.
    Midlayer fits perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

blue note wrote: »

How's the fit on the polo? I'm normally size L in vast majority of golf gear manufacturers but I just ordered a polo and jumper in XL from them as their site says L chest size is 40-42. L with Under Armor for example is 42-44. I'll just exchange them if they don't fit, the benefit of buying Irish I suppose

How's the fit on the polo? I'm normally size L in vast majority of golf gear manufacturers but I just ordered a polo and jumper in XL from them as their site says L chest size is 40-42. L with Under Armor for example is 42-44. I'll just exchange them if they don't fit, the benefit of buying Irish I suppose

I'm generally a medium in clothes and a medium from those guys fits me perfectly. The odd time with (generally American) manufacturers I might go to a small, but it wasn't necessary for this.

But return them if they're the wrong size. We're lucky as guys that are shape is more standardised than women's, so there are less places that something might not fit you. But you could still find that the shoulders are fine, but the sleeves aren't, or belly isn't or whatever. It's the annoyance of buying online.

Order arrived today and the XL fit is perfect for me. Glad I went a size up. Quality seems great. Remains to be seen how well they'll last but quite happy so far. They threw a load a tees into the package as well which is nice

The tees are great marketing too I imagine. A lot of people will have seen the ads online and now if they see a few tees on the course it'll reinforce it.

It's nice to have a good Irish brand like that. Hopefully they last as well as they look like they will.

One thing I would note is on the description for the jumper they say it's a cotton blend but the materials are 95% polyester, 5% spandex. It does feel and look great though and the price is good but not expecting polyester to last years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

One thing I would note is on the description for the jumper they say it's a cotton blend but the materials are 95% polyester, 5% spandex. It does feel and look great though and the price is good but not expecting polyester to last years

Yeah, I wish their stuff was pure cotton and I'd support them. Their whole thing was I thought going against the synthetic crap the big brands churn out, but it's just another poly blend. I find that very disappointing.

If anyone knows somewhere that does decent cotton polos and trousers for not unreasonable prices? I remember SeveOB got us some stretch cotton polos for the boards society and they're pretty good, still have and wear mine on the outings :D

Yeah, I wish their stuff was pure cotton and I'd support them. Their whole thing was I thought going against the synthetic crap the big brands churn out, but it's just another poly blend. I find that very disappointing.

If anyone knows somewhere that does decent cotton polos and trousers for not unreasonable prices? I remember SeveOB got us some stretch cotton polos for the boards society and they're pretty good, still have and wear mine on the outings :D

Original Penguin is a brand that does some of their polos in 100% cotton. Need to make sure you check the individual one before buying.

The first ones i bought were 100% cotton, so assumed that was the case for all their polos. Then bought another one at a later date that was a bit of a shiny blend

Free shipping this weekend if anyone is looking at Duck Hook, I've ordered a mid layer to give it a try. €35 its hard to argue with and happy to support Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Has anyone bought a polo? Just wondering what are their sizes like.

• Advertisement

Has anyone bought a polo? Just wondering what are their sizes like.

I've got two of them, would say they're a slightly large fit

Advertisement