Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any roads you will refuse to cycle on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

greenspurs wrote: »
    Carrick on Suir . ( a bit ironic considering Kelly and Bennett are from here!!)

"Traffic Calming" on the way in and out of the town, Close pass EVERY fcuking time !!!
    Just another one yesterday evening, where a stupid OAP in a Qashqai thought he could squeeze between me and an oncoming car.
    He knew he couldnt "squeeze by" when i was banging on his windows....... These cnuts dont care/realise ......

The cycling lanes in Waterford and around carrick and into piltown are brutal. Every kind of crap ends up in the cycle lanes and there full of cracks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Luxman wrote: »
    The N2 north of Ashbourne pretty much all the way to Slane, hate it. Luckily there are 'parallel' alternatives to get up that direction.

Amen
    In particular northbound around Kentstown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Up Glenamuck Rd in Carrickmines - approaching from Foxrock side, you've got a few roundabouts and a cycle lane that's in bits and then it abruptly ends and dumps you onto the long slog up Glenamuck Rd with a brutal surface in some parts. Even though the whole road is now 50kmh there are still drivers flying up it.

It's not too bad coming down as you get it over with quickly but I would take any route to avoid going up it.
    That series of roundabouts above the M50 is vile for both pscychlists and pedestrians! The half-hearted set of cycle lanes, some bits 2-way, which don't join up /dump you at exits/entrances etc is a work of pure cynacism

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The R139 between Malahide road/northern cross and Clonshaugh road.

I used to cycle along it towards Northern cross. It was fine until the l lights at the Clonshaugh Road end turned red after I’d passed through them. Once they turned green, you’d have two lanes of traffic accelerating up to 100kph and I’d always get at least one close pass.

Also in mornings when the sun is just rising (especially in Autumn), the sun would be in both my eyes and the eyes of all the cars speeding towards me from behind.

A horrible road.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Amen
    In particular northbound around Kentstown

I'll second this. There's a section (or two?) where the hard shoulder disappears so you could actually reach out and touch the artics as they thunder past you at stupid speeds if you were that way inclined. Hate it. Avoid. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's an example of a great missed opportunity with the building of the M3 - the N2 and N3 run/ran in parallel only about 8km apart from dublin to slane and navan. they could have built the motoway halfway between the two and served both, and would have taken most of that heavy traffic off the N2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've cycled it a few times. Horrible. It's a no brainer to just go through Santry Village. More traffic lights but much calmer.

Don't know why they couldn't have put a nice segregated cycle lane on that stretch as there's plenty of room. I cycled it once or twice but nah, never again. Way too risky.
    Cycling up through Santry is better but has it's own issues, especially the enterance to the Omni with traffic able to enter the slip road into it at speed thereby cutting through any cyclists going straight on. You need your wits about you going by that slip road.

Road from Phibsborough all the way out and past Finglas is a road I avoid if I can. On path cycle lanes, speeding traffic, enterance to a large Tesco, a dual carraigeway, busses pulling in on top of you. Awful road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i've had a couple of near misses in santry; there's a lot of traffic on that road which at times is squeezed into multiple lanes which there really isn't the room for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The N11 up to Greystones is a nonsense for cyclists, its basically a motorway. Blessington to Tallaght isnt as bad but would avoid as well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

silverharp wrote: »
    The N11 up to Greystones is a nonsense for cyclists, its basically a motorway. Blessington to Tallaght isnt as bad but would avoid as well

Decent hard shoulder though..Not pleasant cycling with all the traffic noise but I always felt reasonably safe on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

None that I refuse to use, but really hate the Roundwood-Kilmac road in both directions (which is quite problematic for me!) and the Glenealy-Rathdrum roads. Never used them without at least one close pass, and the only roads that my "recording my journey" stayin alive at 1.5 gillet seem to have no impact.

The N11 is zero fun, but main issue is punctures. As it is at the moment, I wouldn't use Bray South to Kilmac though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Macy0161 wrote: »
    None that I refuse to use, but really hate the Roundwood-Kilmac road in both directions (which is quite problematic for me!) and the Glenealy-Rathdrum roads. Never used them without at least one close pass, and the only roads that my "recording my journey" stayin alive at 1.5 gillet seem to have no impact.

The N11 is zero fun, but main issue is punctures. As it is at the moment, I wouldn't use Bray South to Kilmac though.

Do you ever use the more inland one (The Old Long Hill I think)

I have always found that a lot quieter. Still a stiff climb but a nicer cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/thugs-run-cyclist-road-before-16812935.amp

Heard of this happening on a few occasions so id probably avoid that cycling route

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

The road past the coachman's Inn as your heading Southbound. The lane switching can be hairy at times. The roundabout isn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Another vote for N11. Have never had a positive experience on it. Close passes by taxi/buses/motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

that's an example of a great missed opportunity with the building of the M3 - the N2 and N3 run/ran in parallel only about 8km apart from dublin to slane and navan. they could have built the motoway halfway between the two and served both, and would have taken most of that heavy traffic off the N2.

Half the traffic on the M2/N2 are toll dodgers going to/from Navan and turning off at Kentstown

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The last two thirds of this segment. Not pleasant as speeding motorists assume it's a motorway (it isn't) and there is no hard shoulder. According to Strava I haven't done it since 2013.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1771163
    I've cycled it a few times. Horrible. It's a no brainer to just go through Santry Village. More traffic lights but much calmer.
    De Bhál wrote: »
    Don't know why they couldn't have put a nice segregated cycle lane on that stretch as there's plenty of room. I cycled it once or twice but nah, never again. Way too risky....
    It wouldn't really be good value for money to put a cycle track there. Apart from the fact that there are parallel alternative routes, it would just lead onto the M1 or a busy roundabout. The vast majority of cyclists would continue to go via Santry. If there was a cycle track on it, cyclists would have to access it interacting with the fast moving motorists taking the slip road to Santry,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

billyhead wrote: »
    The road past the coachman's Inn as your heading Southbound. The lane switching can be hairy at times. The roundabout isn't great either.

I can see why cyclists would be wary there but I've never really had a problem on that section. In fact it's probably the one section of road that I associate with courteous motorist who very regularly flash to let me cross lanes when they see me looking over my shoulder for an opportunity to move right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Cycling up Mobhi Rd in Glasnevin...always use the footpath

ah, i've always used the road. i think of the cars behind me as the motivation to reach for a new PR.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

micar wrote: »
    Cycling up Mobhi Rd in Glasnevin...always use the footpath

Why not use the cycle lane on the opposite side. It's contraflow judging by the markings

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Macy0161 wrote: »

Agree 100% with absolutely everything in this post - including the same gilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. it's probably the one section of road that I associate with courteous motorist who very regularly flash to let me cross lanes when they see me looking over my shoulder for an opportunity to move right.
    That would be my experience also and I must have cycled that junction hundreds of times. I can only recall a couple of times where I had to come to a stop and wait for a gap to cross and that was when the weather was really wet and miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bray in general. Awful bumpy roads and coming out of Bray into Dublin into the Roundabout is pretty scary. You need to just swing your dick and say this is my lane.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why not use the cycle lane on the opposite side. It's contraflow judging by the markings
    actually, we copped today that it's not. or else it can't decide if it's one way or two way - i think it's intended as two way, because of the schools.

but you can clearly see an 'end of cycle path' sign here which can only apply to downhill traffic - it's the start of the cycle path for uphill traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3730898,-6.2657876,3a,75y,165.95h,69.64t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sEBqNHcS7NmrimQT704UGYw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DEBqNHcS7NmrimQT704UGYw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D322.66824%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I can see why cyclists would be wary there but I've never really had a problem on that section. In fact it's probably the one section of road that I associate with courteous motorist
    actually, one of the most dickish encounters i've had was opposite the coachmans, headed northbound, almost two years ago; i was in the bus lane, and a chap in a beemer accelerated, and cut across the lanes so as to buzz me at high speed, while leaning on the horn. missed me by a couple of feet, i reckon. deliberately went out of his way to intimidate me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

billyhead wrote: »
    I did that stretch (northbound) last autumn, the first time in over twenty years after I was knocked down (and badly injured) at the roundabout by a driver rushing to drop people off for a flight. (That is why I always wear a helmet if on the road.)
    In fairness, it's still a sh1tfest there!

N81, Blessington - Baltimglass is the section I am most familiar with, nice road and good surface but it’s mostly narrow . Every time I go on it I say never again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Weepsie wrote: »

It ends at the junction of Home farm road.

It's there to only cater for Na Fianna and the school.

So you'd have to cross the road at the pedestrian crossing, cycle up past the second entrance and then cross the road again at the pedestrian crossing.

F(uk that sh1te ....... ridiculous carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I did that stretch (northbound) last autumn, the first time in over twenty years after I was knocked down (and badly injured) at the roundabout by a driver rushing to drop people off for a flight. (That is why I always wear a helmet if on the road.)
    In fairness, it's still a sh1tfest there!
    Yech :eek: - glad you've recovered!

Advertisement